2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Emag wrote:
06 May 2024, 07:20
FittingMechanics wrote:
06 May 2024, 06:29
AR3-GP wrote:
06 May 2024, 02:30

Does anyone know what he was saying? It reads to me like he knows Ferrari update is not as big.
There is a comment about hoping the Ferrari updates delivering and the reply is "I found out how much McLaren's update was worth thursday evening. I would have spoken differently if I knew"

But there is a lack of context here.

Nevertheless, Fred Vasseur did play down the updates when asked yesterday. He said for sure they will help, but people shouldn't expect too much from the updates. Instead they're focusing on delivering on track.

A 0.25s number was thrown a while back about Ferrari's update improvements. Depending on the track, that can be enough to make them the fastest.
Yeah, sounds like they are underplaying their upgrades now. Hopefully we continue to fight at the front. I don't expect us to have best pace overall but I'd like to be in the mix for the podiums throughout the season. Continue building up.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Btw just watched Verstappen going over the bollard, it does seem that his diffuser slightly hits the bollard and shatters. Not sure if it is base of the bollard or the diffusor but it's possible Verstappen carried a bit of damage.

Still Norris was faster than VER even before that moment and he was able to extend the tyres as well.

And when you look at the replay, Norris was extremely unlucky with the SC timing. His engineer told him that Sargeant is stopped and that both safety car windows are open, and then just as he goes by the pit stop entry they throw the SC. He was unlucky with that but then lucky because SC was slow to exit the pits.

Norris was definitely under a lot of stress - he was forgetting to put his finger off the radio button during the SC.

Rikhart
Rikhart

FittingMechanics wrote:
06 May 2024, 08:51
Norris was extremely unlucky with the SC timing

Are you saying that seriously? :lol:

genarro
genarro

very very very good for Lando and the team..

He drove like a tank and the car looked just magical on race pace. Was just watching him in the chicane before the last straight and the car just looked nimble and planted. It changed direction superbly and so fast.

Forza McLaren

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Rikhart wrote:
06 May 2024, 09:15
FittingMechanics wrote:
Norris was extremely unlucky with the SC timing

Are you saying that seriously? :lol:
You need to understand what I am saying. It is very unlucky if you are the leader and SC drops just as you are passing the pit entry but people behind you get ability to pit. Sure the SC was lucky overall, but he was unlucky it dropped just as he went by the pit entry. That is my point.

Btw it has to be said that this was not luck, this was created by Landos pace on mediums. He was faster on used mediums than Verstappen on new hards so Lando was able to extend his stint and wait for a potential SC which on this street track is likely.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
Btw just watched Verstappen going over the bollard, it does seem that his diffuser slightly hits the bollard and shatters. Not sure if it is base of the bollard or the diffusor but it's possible Verstappen carried a bit of damage.

Still Norris was faster than VER even before that moment and he was able to extend the tyres as well.

And when you look at the replay, Norris was extremely unlucky with the SC timing. His engineer told him that Sargeant is stopped and that both safety car windows are open, and then just as he goes by the pit stop entry they throw the SC. He was unlucky with that but then lucky because SC was slow to exit the pits.

Norris was definitely under a lot of stress - he was forgetting to put his finger off the radio button during the SC.
Ahh just seen and read. Yes, we had a bit of luck. I've seen some suggest this wasn't luck but I think it's a bit disingenuous to think otherwise. But that's fine, everyone gets good and bad luck and it evens itself out including Red Bull, they just had a margin that made the bad luck not relevant. The point is, now they don't have that margin and we deserve the win.
Last edited by mwillems on 06 May 2024, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
06 May 2024, 10:08
FittingMechanics wrote:

Do you have a link?
I rewatched the replays on F1TV so no - sorry.

ScottR267
ScottR267

mwillems wrote:
06 May 2024, 10:08
FittingMechanics wrote:

Do you have a link?
Horner confirms damage to maxs car

https://racingnews365.com/horner-reveal ... ck-mistake

Mansell89
Mansell89

LionsHeart wrote:
06 May 2024, 01:57
By the way, yesterday I forgot to write something: with every update and evolution, McLaren becomes more and more beautiful. Clean lines, graceful shapes.
Agree- the same thought crossed my mind yesterday- it just physically looks like it’s been refined into a slicker and efficient race car.

The fact straight line speed was good suggests it is, as we achieved the top speed without sacrificing our corner speed.

Here’s hoping we can continue unlocking potential and performance.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

ScottR267 wrote:
06 May 2024, 10:28

They estimate 0.25s loss - if that is true then Norris was on pace with Verstappen as he gapped him by about 0.25s.

Emag
Emag

FittingMechanics wrote:
06 May 2024, 10:35
ScottR267 wrote:
06 May 2024, 10:28

They estimate 0.25s loss - if that is true then Norris was on pace with Verstappen as he gapped him by about 0.25s.
Sounds like a PR statement. Post race Max said he didn't feel any difference in pace after hitting the bollard. I think it was just not a good weekend for RedBull. They were struggling in the sprint as well, Charles was just as fast as Max.

Ben1980
Ben1980

It was self inflicted damage. He was being told to push, and his tyres weren't really staying the course.

Emag
Emag

Ben1980 wrote:
06 May 2024, 11:05
It was self inflicted damage. He was being told to push, and his tyres weren't really staying the course.
It's what makes me think its a bullshit statement. Their pace wasn't impressive in the sprint and Max was barely faster than Oscar in the first stint before hitting the bollard.

If that "damage" really was worth 0.25, Max would have dropped behind both Ferraris after the restart.

mclaren111

organic wrote:
05 May 2024, 21:17
Zak welcoming presidential candidate to the garage

Kim illman reports that Zak invited him.

Well Done Zak... 8) 8)

Emag
Emag

mclaren111 wrote:
06 May 2024, 11:13
organic wrote:
05 May 2024, 21:17
Zak welcoming presidential candidate to the garage

Kim illman reports that Zak invited him.

Well Done Zak... 8) 8)
I would have preferred them to not have done this, especially since the guy is on trial and accused of some nasty things. But as long as there is no further involvement then screw it. I don't like it that McLaren was used to promote that PoS, but it is what it is.