Adrian Newey Leaves Red Bull Racing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
leblanc
leblanc

Re: Adrian Newey Leaves Red Bull Racing

Watto wrote:
05 May 2024, 18:52
Vanja #66 wrote:
04 May 2024, 13:49
Fluido wrote:
04 May 2024, 12:50
in this article write that he didnt do even research, that is not correct, journalist write nonsense..
Fluido, people are giving you detailed explanations, yet you are reading something else into them that you want to. It's not nice to acuse others of lying just because you want to believe something else, you'll get fewer and fewer quality responses over time. Not just on this thread, but everywhere on the forum

Newey has not been actively designing and overviewing the whole design of the whole car for years. With his experience, there is no need to. People simply filter out the most critical details for him and his input is probably always the best solution, saving them valuable time and development costs.

The most important thing is to set performance targets during development. Making CAD models, analysing CFD/WT results and making inputs for performance and laptime simulations is absolutely not the best use of his time, which also has a huge hourly price :lol: Once you set the right targets and methodologies to check downforce, drag, torques and balance of the car across a wide range of car attitudes, aero development is a creative but far more straightforward process.

Absolutely no person on this forum thinks Newey is overrated, not that important, etc, so there is no excuse to acuse anyone of such things

I think this is probably a very good view on Neweys role at RB in recent ties and why Horner refered to him as a bit of a butterfly (iirc)

The suspension was probably the core element he probably worked on by his own works but think he as you said played a role in being a filter and setting the direction of things without being the lead designer. His fingerprints would still be all over the RB20 (and likely the RB21 too) without being the lead designer - by now though (and think we can hear it enough in the podcast with EJ and DC with Adrian) he has the team setup where he likely doesn't need to be around much.Actually think thats why he has been at RB for so long if he felt burnt out I think he had enough freedom to move arounds.

To an extent too I think you can see why Horner might see we need to get the technical/engineering dept to work without him as much as that is possible.
This is a correct take. I am a small-time C-level person. My job is the big picture, and to face clients. My employees support me in all things related to those two foci.

dialtone
dialtone

Adrian Newey Leaves Red Bull Racing

There’s at least a few kinds of CTOs in the world. There’s paper that talk broadly about 4 types, this is an article from almost 20 years ago: https://www.allthingsdistributed.com/20 ... roles.html

That article is from Werner Vogels, CTO at Amazon but similar topics you can find dealt with by others.

Ultimately C-level suite just needs to make the business go forward using their best skills and whatever the business needs the most at a point in time.

Source: also a small time C-level exec for 2 decades

CTOs may or may not have direct reports, if they don’t it’s because they don’t want to be bothered managing people but would rather focus on the technology and operate via influence instead of authority.

Safe to say AN would be perfect for that kind of CTO.

chrisc90

Does anyone know what shares Adrian has inside of RBR? I think they both hinted at it. Although Adrian isnt actually listed as a director on anything inside companies house.

leblanc
leblanc

CHT wrote:
04 May 2024, 05:12
LH openly endorsing AN is surely not going to go down well technical team at Ferrari, it only goes to show that LH doesnt think very highly of Ferrari at the moment.
A ridiculous conclusion.

CHT
CHT

leblanc wrote:
07 May 2024, 01:21
CHT wrote:
LH openly endorsing AN is surely not going to go down well technical team at Ferrari, it only goes to show that LH doesnt think very highly of Ferrari at the moment.
A ridiculous conclusion.
For AN to join Ferrari someone very senior in the ferrari technical department will need to be replace..LH suggestion does threaten some key personal job at Ferrari and that is not a good thing unless AN has signed a contract with Ferrari.

So I am guessing if LH can't perform at Ferrari he will blame ferrari for not having AN..

AN has spoken how Ferrari is a national team and if you don't do well you will be berated and torn apart. I think this is perhaps the reason why AN didn't want to join Ferrari.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

CHT wrote:
07 May 2024, 01:49
For AN to join Ferrari someone very senior in the ferrari technical department will need to be replace..LH suggestion does threaten some key personal job at Ferrari and that is not a good thing unless AN has signed a contract with Ferrari.
Not so. He could join them as a consultant - just as he was at Red Bull. At Red Bull there were still very senior people and Newey worked with them not in place of them.

It wouldn't be the first time that Ferrari has used a consultant to give guidance to the design team, for example Rory Byrne. Byrne acted as a technical mentor rather than "the designer" and it's the sort of role that could interest Newey if it also allows him space to do other things as well.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Regardless, it's never an insult to anybody when the likely greatest F1 designer in history gets advocated for.

leblanc
leblanc

CHT wrote:
leblanc wrote:
CHT wrote:
A ridiculous conclusion.

So I am guessing if LH can't perform at Ferrari he will blame ferrari for not having AN..

AN has spoken how Ferrari is a national team and if you don't do well you will be berated and torn apart. I think this is perhaps the reason why AN didn't want to join Ferrari.

Also ridiculous.

leblanc
leblanc

dialtone wrote:
06 May 2024, 05:48
There’s at least a few kinds of CTOs in the world. There’s paper that talk broadly about 4 types, this is an article from almost 20 years ago: https://www.allthingsdistributed.com/20 ... roles.html

That article is from Werner Vogels, CTO at Amazon but similar topics you can find dealt with by others.

Ultimately C-level suite just needs to make the business go forward using their best skills and whatever the business needs the most at a point in time.

Source: also a small time C-level exec for 2 decades

CTOs may or may not have direct reports, if they don’t it’s because they don’t want to be bothered managing people but would rather focus on the technology and operate via influence instead of authority.

Safe to say AN would be perfect for that kind of CTO.
Thank you for the article. And, agreed re: AN role.

PlatinumZealot

chrisc90 wrote:
06 May 2024, 11:11
Does anyone know what shares Adrian has inside of RBR? I think they both hinted at it. Although Adrian isnt actually listed as a director on anything inside companies house.
He will have a good portion if he's smart. He helped build the team from the ashes of Jaguar he would have asked for shares as a matter of course. I don't expect any more than 5% however maybe 2.5% is realistic.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

CHT wrote:
leblanc wrote:
CHT wrote:
A ridiculous conclusion.

Adrian will be advising Ferrari soon enough don't you worry. It's the major frontier that he hasn't covered yet! Imagine how imortal his Legend is if he works for them. The pressure will be immense for him to produce a dominant car though, but I too welcome that otherworldy combination of Lewis Ferrari and Newey. It would feel like the early 2000s again.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Edax
Edax

I know it is easy to say after the fact but I already had a hunch Newey would leave. Firstly he was present a lot more at the races instead of in the factory. And then there was this interview.

Newey has accomplished all there is to accomplish in F1, and more. Once you don’t need the money, and you don’t need the acclaim you can afford to look for what really. motivates you.

My guess is that in his case it is learning new stuff. You can see the enjoyment he had in designing the valkyrie and his boat.

Perhaps Ferrari can offer him an interesting side project in return for his services. A Ferrari Newey would be a great legacy and honor. But would it become a red Valkyrie, or does he still have new ideas to explore.

Anyway I guess what he chooses will be based on what is offered aside of building an F1 car. That is if he stays in F1. But I can just as easily see him turn a new avenue and buit an Americas cup boat.

CHT
CHT

Newey will never take up consultancy role for Ferrari because

1) Ferrari is a national team while AN is a full blooded British. I don't see him working outside of UK.

2) AN is not magic bullet he can't change the team fortune without changing the people. As a competive person he will not take on the job unless he has control to win.

3) He will not cut ties with RB for consultancy role for Ferrari F1. He doesn't need the money and his relationship with RB is like family.

4) AN will not leave RB till March 2025 so he could still be involve in RB22 as details of 2026 regulation will be reveal through the course of this year and Q1 2025.

5) By 2026 it will be too late for AN to offer any meaningful help to any team since chassis engine and drivers line up is already set in stone.

6) Consultancy role is a complete waste of time and it may be the reason why Ferrari hasn't won anything for so long. Multi billion F1 team can't possibly relies on consultant to win championship.

7) AN will not be swayed to work for Ferrari because of LH

8) If AN wishes for take up consultancy role it will be RB not Ferrari because he knows the team and the team trust AN.

Fluido
Fluido

CHT wrote:
08 May 2024, 01:48

3) He will not cut ties with RB for consultancy role for Ferrari F1. He doesn't need the money and his relationship with RB is like family.
They are not family.

Wouter

Marko reveals which F1 team Adrian Newey will join and it’s not Ferrari

Even before the announcement was made official, Newey had been strongly linked to Ferrari, with reports suggesting he met with team principal Fred Vasseur ahead of the Miami GP to thrash out personal terms on a contract. Aston Martin and Williams are also keen on his services.

“What colour do I see Newey in the future? I think the red clashes a bit with the dark blue. But I think anything is possible with a great colour like green,” Marko said, suggesting that Aston Martin will be the design guru’s next team.

It has been suggested that Aston Martin owner Lawrence Stroll has offered Newey a huge contract to make the move to Silverstone and head the design department.

Previously, Newey has stated that not designing a car for Fernando Alonso one of his biggest regrets in F1, and with the Spaniard recently signing a multi-year deal to stay at Aston Martin he could get the chance to do so.

“I always wanted to work with him once in my life,” Alonso said before the 2024 Miami Grand Prix. “I respect him a lot. I consider him the best probably F1 ever had, a legend of the sport.
https://www.total-motorsport.com/helmut ... t-ferrari/
The Power of Dreams!