Best weight distribution front/rear

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Greg Locock
Greg Locock

Re: Best weight distribution front/rear

Oh, I obviously got the wrong specs for the Primera since the one I found is RWD https://www.supercars.net/blog/1992-nis ... mera-btcc/

So, no LSD, lots of compliance steer in traction, soft front suspension, rearward weight bias, stiff rear suspension. Tire pressures are important.

Farnborough
Farnborough

Stu wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 23:45
Greg Locock wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 23:43
Shrugs, power on oversteer in a RWD? Sounds like normal behavior, just dial out your fixes to get more understeer. Weight distribution does have an effect - ask any pre-nanny F150 driver who is (as usual) carrying nothing in the back. I doubt moment of inertia contributes much. They've also made the rear track greater than the front which helps, more lateral load transfer at the back. So soften up the FARB, stiffen RARB, less roll steer at the front. LSD would tend to increase oversteer.
No. The Primera was FWD Super Touring…
Was that the one in which Matt Neal one the "big prize" for a privateer win in BTCC after being sold down into non works ownership ?

Quite a neat chassis anyway from what I recall, double wishbones all round in production form to give good option in chassis engineering from std pickup location as rules dictated.

Stu

Farnborough wrote:
29 Mar 2024, 10:52
Stu wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 23:45
Greg Locock wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 23:43
Shrugs, power on oversteer in a RWD? Sounds like normal behavior, just dial out your fixes to get more understeer. Weight distribution does have an effect - ask any pre-nanny F150 driver who is (as usual) carrying nothing in the back. I doubt moment of inertia contributes much. They've also made the rear track greater than the front which helps, more lateral load transfer at the back. So soften up the FARB, stiffen RARB, less roll steer at the front. LSD would tend to increase oversteer.
No. The Primera was FWD Super Touring…
Was that the one in which Matt Neal one the "big prize" for a privateer win in BTCC after being sold down into non works ownership ?

Quite a neat chassis anyway from what I recall, double wishbones all round in production form to give good option in chassis engineering from std pickup location as rules dictated.
That’s the one, I cannot find any free to view articles from the time (there is a Racecar Engineering deep-dive behind a Scribd paywall - written by Richard Davillia in period with some very good pictures), but this…
https://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/396 ... -BTCC.html
…is free to view & gives a bit of history.

I think that Matt Neals first year in the Primera (1997) was in an old Janspeed car (RIP Keith Odor), but in 1998 he used an works car as an independent entrant.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

fwd cars were the big thing c.100 years ago
they won the Indy 500 many times - the last in 1949

this 1967 job (there's 2 cars - conventional and unconventional) is reported to be the last fwd Indy - entry DNQ
(but elsewhere has been described as 4wd 4ws)

not the better link ....
https://web.archive.org/web/20141101222 ... y6707.html

this is the better link ....
https://web.archive.org/web/20150315162 ... ndy67.html

JordanMugen

Stu wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 09:28
Potentially off-topic point, but I recall Ray Mallock (RML) stating that they achieved power oversteer on the BTCC Nissan Primera Touring Car (probably the best Super Touring car built).
How's that possible? :)

I thought the final Mondeo was regarded as the best/most expensive/most sophisticated Super Tourer? E.g., they made their own transaxle case with the differential at the top, so the half-shaft could run through the middle of the Vee of the V6 engine.

Or maybe it was just the normal X-Trac rotated 90 degrees come to think of it... Silly me.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

JordanMugen wrote:
31 Mar 2024, 16:31
Stu wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 09:28
Potentially off-topic point, but I recall Ray Mallock (RML) stating that they achieved power oversteer on the BTCC Nissan Primera Touring Car (probably the best Super Touring car built).
How's that possible? :)
presumably by having rear-wheel toe .... (toe-out I think)

as done intentionally for competition purposes eg 1960s Minis
(or accidentally from drastic and uninformed lowerering of semi-trailing arm rear suspension eg Triumph TR6)

of course this makes the car directionally unstable - so undriveable for normal use