How does Vettel compare to other drivers?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
chepoi
chepoi

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

Why Vettel is so quick.... Vettel VS Webber Onboard Lap Side by Side

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR2EoZqS ... ture=feedu[/youtube]

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

chepoi wrote:Why Vettel is so quick.... Vettel VS Webber Onboard Lap Side by Side
Thanks for posting that. Very enlightening!

Formula None
Formula None

Interesting how vettel lets the headrest carry the weight of his head through the corners rather than leaning in. Is that normal? Who else drives like that?

raymondu999

I didn't actually get much from the video though - sure it showed a bit; but a lot of it was just "Vettel brakes later, Vettel gets on the power earlier, Vettel carries greater apex speeds." Am I missing something here? :?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

shamikaze
shamikaze

chepoi wrote:Why Vettel is so quick.... Vettel VS Webber Onboard Lap Side by Side
Apart from that turn 13, Vetel just hits the perfect line in every other turn, hitting the throttle just that bit earlier.

Very nice video to see the difference in racing-line, corener entry, turn and exit =D>

It would be great to have similar comparing video's between ie Vettel - Hamilton - Alonso - Rosberg (and for good measure Michael).

rayden
rayden

raymondu999 wrote:I didn't actually get much from the video though - sure it showed a bit; but a lot of it was just "Vettel brakes later, Vettel gets on the power earlier, Vettel carries greater apex speeds." Am I missing something here? :?
Brundles analysis is wrong imo. most of the sat afternoon differences between them both comes from mark's tardy use (comparatively) of the DRS.

however drifting off topic here..

aral
aral

Formula None wrote:Interesting how vettel lets the headrest carry the weight of his head through the corners rather than leaning in. Is that normal? Who else drives like that?
Alesi used to do the same.

raymondu999

rayden wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:I didn't actually get much from the video though - sure it showed a bit; but a lot of it was just "Vettel brakes later, Vettel gets on the power earlier, Vettel carries greater apex speeds." Am I missing something here? :?
Brundles analysis is wrong imo. most of the sat afternoon differences between them both comes from mark's tardy use (comparatively) of the DRS.

however drifting off topic here..
Some of it will no doubt stem from that. However, I think he's (Brundle) got a point there as well; Vettel seems better on the brakes, and able to carry more speed through. He takes just the right amount of apex speed for his lines too. Last year, Vettel was the one who was going wide at every corner exit; trying to maximise the track; as well as use some of the astro, even. But here you can see him use a lot less of that; instead he's carrying just a good amount of speed through each corner.

This is actually making me slightly wonder. I wonder if; Vettel was actually an above-average/good driver in a wonderful car last year; and hence he was still in Webber's reach to outqualify. But now, with the added WDC confidence; it has transformed him in a way that has unleashed a lot of new speed, while Mark has not progressed from the end of last year.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

myurr
myurr

@raymondu999 - I don't want to take away too much from Vettel as I think he is unquestionably one of the fastest drivers in the pit lane, but at the same time he's not being put under any pressure by anyone at the moment so is able to drive well within himself. This will surely flatter him compared to those who are having to push so much harder in order to try and close the gap.

I would really love to see McLaren, Ferrari and even some of the others improve to the point where it's a fair fight between their drivers and the Red Bulls. Let's see them all fight it out on track, both in qualifying and the races. Then we can really see who is the best of the best, rather than who can capitalise on a large car advantage.

Maybe Vettel will come out on top, maybe not. But then, at least, no one could suggest that it was just the car flattering him.

jody391
jody391

I totally agree, Vettel is not an out and out racer like Hamilton/Alonso and is (without being disrespectful to the awesome RB7)showing to be just like Micheal Schumacer an excellent driver in an amazing car nothing more.

raymondu999

At the risk of further baiting off-topic discussion; if Vettel can drive within himself, then still qualify regularly 5-8 tenths ahead of Mark Webber; then that seems rather alarming
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

marcush.
marcush.

the Video analysis nicely shows that Mark is trying a bit too hard and is looking for the time in the wrong places.
As we have seen already the pirellis do not like any overdriving and maybe that´s the main point ..not to try too hard.

djos

I dont think Seb has suddenly got faster since becoming WDC or Mark slower, I think Seb just got to grips with the Pirreli's faster than Mark has and I think the fact that Mark didn't get to do any of the new tire testing in the RB6 at AD last year has hurt his ability to understand the tires as well as Seb.
"In downforce we trust"

HampusA

marcush. wrote:the Video analysis nicely shows that Mark is trying a bit too hard and is looking for the time in the wrong places.
As we have seen already the pirellis do not like any overdriving and maybe that´s the main point ..not to try too hard.
Another thing he doesn´t do is use 110% of the track. Vettel is much better at using all the track, and then some. Only by doing that will squeeze out higher entry-mid-exit speeds.

I think Vettel is a phenom when it comes to hotlapping or when he races by himself leading or whatever.
I think the problems for him is when he´s got someone ahead of him like Hamilton, Alonso or Webber for instance. They are juggernauts when it comes to battles and i haven´t really seen that part of Vettel just yet.
The truth will come out...

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

HampusA wrote: Do you think the car do level out some as the speed increases or do you think the rake is more or less fixed?
I would have thought they ran fairly consistently - the suspension on these cars is super-stiff for this very reason. Ride height will change with reducing fuel weight through the race but I wouldn't have thought it would be that much - fuel weight changes are quite small compared to changes in loads applied by downforce at varying speeds (at 200mph compared to 80mph say).
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.