Lotus E20 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Leon
Leon

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

Didn't expect such speed from Lotus, especially in comparison with RedBull.
Probably they have some unrevealed or hidden secret because visually their car isn't so spectacular, and has no special artful exhaust.
"Clouds now and again
give a soul some respite from
moon-gazing-behold."

Matsuo Basho

PhillipM
PhillipM

It's not hidden, it's right there on the sides of the car, lots of attention to detail on the initial sidepod airflow, making best advantage of that tight rear end with plenty of floor spacer.

madly
madly

Allison mentioned they paid special attention to inner airflow and low internal drag.

Blackout

The area behind the tea tray/in front of the floor/between the barge-boards/under the cockpit is very interesting and sophisticated. They added plenty of aero parts there. As someone said it in this thread, the team seems to have learned a lot from the FEE; they maybe learned new ways of improving airflow in that vital area.
And as Alisson said they focussed on internal aero like never before...
Unfortunately good photos are rare and the black paint does not help...

ringo

Leon wrote:Didn't expect such speed from Lotus, especially in comparison with RedBull.
Probably they have some unrevealed or hidden secret because visually their car isn't so spectacular, and has no special artful exhaust.
Hahaha I respectfully disagree. Obvious from the first view under sunlight.
I remember a few were touting the force india over this; i'm not sure what you guys look for in a fast car. But this was definitely a challenger from the outset.
For Sure!!

Blackout

So what's E20's "secret" ? come on, tell us : P
or tell me per PM

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

Angry Kimi?
Kimi, not exactly what you had in mind for your first qualifying session of the year; what happened out there?

I made a small mistake on my final run. Based on the first part of the lap it should have easily been enough to get us through to Q2, even though we chose to stay on the medium compound tyres. Unfortunately we had a communication issue and I didn’t realise how close we were to the end of the session. I backed off to make space for a clean lap, and ended up crossing the line too late to set another time.
Do you believe you had the speed today to match or improve upon Romain’s third place?

I don’t see why not. We haven’t had any clear laps all day, so it’s hard to say. The car felt good and I think that without the issues we would have easily made Q3, but that’s what happens sometimes and we have to make the best of it. I’m not surprised by Romain’s performance. He’s driving well and we already knew the E20 was quick, now it’s just a case of getting everything right so we can get the most out of the car.
You’ve already mentioned that the E20 is looking good, but there are some quick cars and drivers around you on the grid. How confident are you that you can get a decent result tomorrow?

I’m not making any predictions, we’ll just have to see how it goes. I feel good in the car so if everything goes according to plan we should have a decent race. Unfortunately things haven’t gone our way today, but that’s racing. Sunday is when it all counts; I managed to win the race at Suzuka in 2005 from 17th on the grid, so who knows what might happen.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

MIKEY_!

No, that's normal kimi. Now back to the car... could they have made a big leap forward with internal aero? Or is it more likely that they just had really bad internal aero in past years? Or is there more likely some clever innovation on this car?

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

Times comparing from last to this year from Q in Australia.
Red Bull lost 2.1 seconds.
Mercedes about 0.9 seconds.
McLaren about 0.6-0.7 seconds.
Ferrari 1.2 seconds.
Lotus just 0.1 seconds.

I think that front exhaust system was big fail and big problem.Engine was so much strugling to give full power.I think this car has many many secrets.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

Pierce89

MIKEY_! wrote:No, that's normal kimi. Now back to the car... could they have made a big leap forward with internal aero? Or is it more likely that they just had really bad internal aero in past years? Or is there more likely some clever innovation on this car?
In their Alonso heyday, and as Benneton, they had a bit of a rep for innovation but also playing fast and loose with the regs(probably Briatore mostly). They like to try new things.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Blackout

madly wrote:Image
Ferrari style slits

Last edited by Blackout on 18 Mar 2012, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.

Blackout

rkn

what comes out of the cannon looking hole at the rear?

beelsebob
beelsebob

ringo wrote:
Leon wrote:Didn't expect such speed from Lotus, especially in comparison with RedBull.
Hahaha I respectfully disagree. Obvious from the first view under sunlight.
I remember a few were touting the force india over this; i'm not sure what you guys look for in a fast car. But this was definitely a challenger from the outset.
Hindsight is always 20/20 isn't it ;)