Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Spankyham

Re: Ferrari F2012

It looks to me like Ferrari have built an exhaust that can be pointed to either the beam or the floor - perhaps changed circuit by circuit.

The slots in the floor (in front of the tyres) have gone with this configuration.
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

amouzouris

tpe wrote:Is the back push-rod in the same position as (let's say) yesterday? To me it seems that is mounted much higher...
its not a pushrod...its a pullrod

Postmoe

bhallg2k wrote:The post I withdrew was just an observation about the brake ducts that I realized was false right after I posted it.

I'm still wrapping my head around the exhaust. For some reason, I have a sneaking suspicion that there's more to it than meets the eye. (Figuratively speaking, of course.)

(The drawing posted from Scarbs' blog is a speculation of how a McLaren style exhaust would look on the F2012.)
Ok, but why it cuts the radiators flows in such an akward manner? I think if Ferrari went that way the flows would need to be completely different exiting from the sidepods and thus the acer and coke shape completely re-designed.

For me it's overcomplicated and maintains parts of the acer ducts that are only necessary with the previous configuration. Perhaps Scarbs considers so, but has not "erased" these parts of the drawing.

I think that knowing how drag is killing the car, they need to focus on that, because a less draggy car would be almost on the competitive standarts, only lacking of traction. And you can improve traction using drag inducing developments once you don't have "structural drag", like RB does.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Spankyham wrote:It looks to me like Ferrari have built an exhaust that can be pointed to either the beam or the floor - perhaps changed circuit by circuit.

The slots in the floor (in front of the tyres) have gone with this configuration.
No the slots are still there.

bhall
bhall

I don't care that it's tacky to point to one's own post.

Look at my previous post.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

bhallg2k wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:For some reason, I have a sneaking suspicion that there's more to it than meets the eye. (Figuratively speaking, of course.)
And I found it.

Cheeky bastards.

(Click to enlarge)

The exhaust plume is directed toward the center of the car where it's then collected at the very rear of the diffuser to be channeled to the hole I've highlighted next to the wheel.

EDIT: Finally, an elegant Ferrari solution!

EDIT 2: I believe this is the oft-discussed Byrne floor.

EDIT 3: Not only is the exhaust channeled to these hole, so is the lion's share of the hot air from within the engine cover. Ferrari now has a double-blown diffuser.
I'm not seeing where the entry is for the exhaust/hot air to be routed through there?

.poz
.poz

Spankyham wrote:It looks to me like Ferrari have built an exhaust that can be pointed to either the beam or the floor - perhaps changed circuit by circuit.

i was thinking the same because at the moment there isn't an exhaust configuration that always outperform others on all circuits

Vanja #66

bhallg2k wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:For some reason, I have a sneaking suspicion that there's more to it than meets the eye. (Figuratively speaking, of course.)
And I found it.

Cheeky bastards.

picture
(Click to enlarge)

The exhaust plume is directed toward the center of the car where it's then collected at the very rear of the diffuser to be channeled to the hole I've highlighted next to the wheel.

EDIT: Finally, an elegant Ferrari solution!

EDIT 2: I believe this is the oft-discussed Byrne floor.

EDIT 3: Not only is the exhaust channeled to these hole, so is the lion's share of the hot air from within the engine cover. Ferrari now has a double-blown diffuser.
Somebody is sharing my enthusiasm... :D Haven't expected you, though... :)

Thinking this way would justify 2 months spent on this solution, no doubt... But, taught by the past, I think it'll be best to wait until the end of this day to judge the solution itself, and to wait for other experts' opinions...
Last edited by Vanja #66 on 03 May 2012, 11:56, edited 1 time in total.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

bhallg2k wrote:I don't care that it's tacky to point to one's own post.

Look at my previous post.
No worries. Maybe you're right Ben. I don't recall sensors recently on the floor beside the rear tyre

Edit: what "holes" on the floor are you talking about?

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

bonjon1979 wrote:
FakeAlonso wrote:Interesting configuration according to Scarbs
weird drawing - the exhaust doesn't look anything like that.

You have to read Scarbs article to understand mate

bhall
bhall

GrizzleBoy wrote:I'm not seeing where the entry is for the exhaust/hot air to be routed through there?
Here. (Like a cheese grater)
(Click to enlarge)

And here, through this tube no one could ever quite figure out.
(Click to enlarge)

We need better pics, though.

EDIT: The hole immediately under the rain light is now blocked off. I think this strongly suggests I'm right, because the air that was vented through that hole is now being channeled to the outside of the diffuser.

Blackout

Airbox cover and the fins under the nose are different too

Last edited by Blackout on 03 May 2012, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.

.poz
.poz

bhallg2k wrote: Here. (Like a cheese grater)
(Click to enlarge)
Looking how it's shaped to me looks like more an exit for hot air than an entry

Spankyham

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:

No the slots are still there.
Oops, :oops: I'm an idiot, they sure are there, cause I couldn't see them on the first lot of hi-res shots I saw I thought they were gone. The pics just didn't show close enough to the tire.
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

kebab
kebab

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
Edit: what "holes" on the floor are you talking about?
I don't think it's a hole. It looks to me is more of a small turning vane than a hole.
Last edited by kebab on 03 May 2012, 12:10, edited 1 time in total.