Ferrari F2012 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Holm86

Re: Ferrari F2012

Could there be any idea in making the floor out of a material which has high heat conductivety?
A material with the properties of copper or even diamonds?

Idea is to spread the heat from the engine into the whole floor area and use the air that goes underneath to draw the heat out.
That could make the radiator size decrease and make for a tighter body of the car.
Could that be the sort of material/concept Ferrari is working on?

beelsebob
beelsebob

Holm86 wrote:Could there be any idea in making the floor out of a material which has high heat conductivety?

Idea is to spread the heat from the engine into the whole floor area and use the air that goes underneath to draw the heat out.
That could make the radiator size decrease and make for a tighter body of the car.
It would also energise the air under there and potentially improve aero efficiency in the diffuser.

Holm86

beelsebob wrote:
Holm86 wrote:Could there be any idea in making the floor out of a material which has high heat conductivety?

It would also energise the air under there and potentially improve aero efficiency in the diffuser.
Yes i thought of that too but dont think it will heat the air enough ...

PhillipM
PhillipM

I think using bodywork as a radiator is banned, I can remember a car decades ago using water piped through the panel skins but I'm sure they stopped it on safety grounds.

Holm86

PhillipM wrote:I think using bodywork as a radiator is banned, I can remember a car decades ago using water piped through the panel skins but I'm sure they stopped it on safety grounds.
I believe floor and bodywork are seperates??

beelsebob
beelsebob

Holm86 wrote:
PhillipM wrote:I think using bodywork as a radiator is banned, I can remember a car decades ago using water piped through the panel skins but I'm sure they stopped it on safety grounds.
Plus, it depends how it's phrased... e.g. it would be entirely legal if running radiator tubes through the bodywork was what were banned... I'm off to stare at the tech regs.

First find, this would suggest it's not true:
F1 technical regs wrote:1.4 Bodywork :
All entirely sprung parts of the car in contact with the external air stream, except cameras, camera housings and the parts definitely associated with the mechanical functioning of the engine, transmission and running gear. Airboxes, radiators and engine exhausts are considered to be part of the bodywork.

aleks_ader

aleksandergreat wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
aleksandergreat wrote:-The derivative of Zircotech completely unknown, and according to this source (not standard) has been entirely produced by Ferrari.

-The Zircotec is able to withstand high temperatures, generating much heat diffuser to cover the whole of this compound.
Interesting if true... that would suggest Ferrari still plan on getting hot gas there in some way... I wonder how.
I assume that could be misslead... I think they search coating whitch efective dissipate head from engine, Kers electromotor etc.

Mavbe they also find out that sort Zirotech coating are more aerodynamic efficient on the surfice?
Sorry guys if i aim in wrong direction! #-o
Actually the Zirotech is izolation material that mean this material have very low temp. conductivity!

1. option
But is true that if they mount materials ala copper or. diamands coatings they will transfer the some heat towarts the diffuozor and then the diffuozor (and other elements) need a heat resitand coatings! That head tranfer is totaly legal (due my opinion), beacuse is just coating.. and there are no safety issue! I will call that sys: "pasive cooling"

2. option
Posibility are also that engineers try to guide the heat flow (like EBD) toward the edge of diffuozor. There are the loses (drag) beacuse of ground efect the highest!
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

majicmeow
majicmeow

beelsebob wrote:
Holm86 wrote:
Plus, it depends how it's phrased... e.g. it would be entirely legal if running radiator tubes through the bodywork was what were banned... I'm off to stare at the tech regs.

First find, this would suggest it's not true:
F1 technical regs wrote:1.4 Bodywork :
All entirely sprung parts of the car in contact with the external air stream, except cameras, camera housings and the parts definitely associated with the mechanical functioning of the engine, transmission and running gear. Airboxes, radiators and engine exhausts are considered to be part of the bodywork.
But what happens if the floor of the car become a part of the cooling system. It would then be definitely associated with the functioning of the engine and therefore would not be "bodywork". I know its a play on the wording of the regulations, but I don't think there is any regulation saying that you CANNOT use only internally mounted radiators, is there?

IF thats the case, couldn't any part of the body work become a part of the functioning of the engine?

beelsebob
beelsebob

majicmeow wrote:But what happens if the floor of the car become a part of the cooling system. It would then be definitely associated with the functioning of the engine and therefore would not be "bodywork". I know its a play on the wording of the regulations, but I don't think there is any regulation saying that you CANNOT use only internally mounted radiators, is there?

IF thats the case, couldn't any part of the body work become a part of the functioning of the engine?
Huh? The rule is very clear on that – mechanical functioning of the engine – not bodywork. Cooling – bodywork.

Re only internally mounted radiators – no – the radiators in the side pods aren't "internal" – you can see them looking straight in the hole - they're the outermost surface of the car there.

aleks_ader

beelsebob wrote:
majicmeow wrote:But what happens if the floor of the car become a part of the cooling system. It would then be definitely associated with the functioning of the engine and therefore would not be "bodywork". I know its a play on the wording of the regulations, but I don't think there is any regulation saying that you CANNOT use only internally mounted radiators, is there?

Huh? The rule is very clear on that – mechanical functioning of the engine – not bodywork. Cooling – bodywork.

Re only internally mounted radiators – no – the radiators in the side pods aren't "internal" – you can see them looking straight in the hole - they're the outermost surface of the car there.
But the material (in our case is just coating) himselve is just part of bodywork... So if they make such material witch dessipade heat that is no problem until that will became thread for drivers life!

So there Ferrari couldnt broke the rules!
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

beelsebob
beelsebob

aleksandergreat wrote:
beelsebob wrote:

But the material (in our case is just coating) himselve is just part of bodywork... So if they make such material witch dessipade heat that is no problem until that will became thread for drivers life!

So there Ferrari couldnt broke the rules!
Why would the floor of the car dissipating heat be a threat to driver's lives?

Which rule would they have broken even if it were – the safety rules don't simply say "you must not threaten drivers lives", they have a long list of things you must do to ensure safety.

aleks_ader

beelsebob wrote:So there Ferrari couldnt broke the rules!
Why would the floor of the car dissipating heat be a threat to driver's lives?
Jao that is whole poit of my post, that paradoks? Throw my point of view is that totaly legal! So are still any uncertainties or. missunderstandigs of my words....
Last edited by aleks_ader on 29 Dec 2011, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.

Forza

An interesting point of development would be to use the air that cools radiators, Kers, electronics etc. The air temperature is higher because it goes through hot surfaces so this could be a way to increase the air flow at the rear end structures. Hot air could be used more agressive to heat up bodywork as well as to speed up air flow. Teams are already doing that but with an exhaust blowing ban this area could have some new interesting solutions.

NonNewtonic
NonNewtonic

Forza wrote:An interesting point of development would be to use the air that cools radiators, Kers, electronics etc. The air temperature is higher because it goes through hot surfaces so this could be a way to increase the air flow at the rear end structures. Hot air could be used more agressive to heat up bodywork as well as to speed up air flow. Teams are already doing that but with an exhaust blowing ban this area could have some new interesting solutions.
Yes the temperature of the air from the radiators are higher but its not sufficient enough to energise the air flow or to be used to blow any aero compartment even so it will be inefficient and it will create more vortices thus inducing more drag to the car

aleks_ader

Yeah! If you could on the right area (florr, diffuozor) energise the surrounding airflow it could change pressure drop and result of that is increased flow!

I reped the crutial thing could be that: Strategic point where do you want energize the flow?

If you do that on effective place you have a win combinatio, without any dissadvatage (except the new material developmend)!