Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Re: Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

siskue2005 wrote:Image

Looks like the diffusor is starting from the middle of the sidepods?
am i right guys?

edit: is it legal anyone?
how can they start from the sidepod itself?
It's the upper section of the double decker diffuser that you see. You might as well think of it as a tunnel with a floor on it. They ended up getting close to this last year but it was more space limited because of interference with engines, trannys, suspension, etc.

Personally I have a hard time figuring out how all these teams are going to be happy about giving up all this downforce for next year, when DD diffusers are banned.

siskue2005

yup exactly what i meant

what happened to the rule of not having any diffusor infront of the rear axle?
or was i wrong in thinking like that??

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

siskue2005 wrote:yup exactly what i meant

what happened to the rule of not having any diffusor infront of the rear axle?
or was i wrong in thinking like that??
That was never a limitation for the DD diffuser loophole. I don't believe there's any fore/aft limitation on the port holes that feed the upper diffuser. I'm sure it was interesting to figure out optimal placement, quantities, and sizes of those entries.

Rikhart
Rikhart

That new front wing is amazing...

there IS a limitation on the size of the DD inlet. it must shadow the rear suspension, and so the longer you make your forward, upper wishbone leg the bigger your DD inlet can be.

feynman
feynman

Rikhart wrote:That new front wing is amazing...
What new front wing? It hasn't been seen yet has it?

But new rear wing has ...

Old wing:

New Straight wing:

... always a slight disapointment when the hard-hearted laws of physics make a straight edge more efficient than some lovely curvy sweeps.

wesley123
wesley123

wouldnt the new shape make it more efficient to let the f duct blow on the first wing? then you will get a much lower point where the wing will stall reducing drag?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

siskue2005

feynman wrote:
Rikhart wrote:That new front wing is amazing...
What new front wing? It hasn't been seen yet has it?

But new rear wing has ...

Old wing:

New Straight wing:

... always a slight disapointment when the hard-hearted laws of physics make a straight edge more efficient than some lovely curvy sweeps.
Yeah, i think the straight one is as efficient as the curved ones
As Mercedes/Brawn always had straight rear wing

the new rear wing has TWO inlets instead of the single inlet that the 2009 high-downforce rear wing had. look closely..

Holm86

newbie wrote:the new rear wing has TWO inlets instead of the single inlet that the 2009 high-downforce rear wing had. look closely..
two inlets?? how can this be done when only 2 wing elements is allowed?

Poleman

Its just the light reflection on the black coloured edge.

wesley123
wesley123

place 2 behind each other for example
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

the inlets are similar to those on the 2009 high-downforce RW, except that one is on the left side of the car and the other is on the right side. i havent seen any 100% clear image of the inlets but if my suspicion is correct it should be fairly obvious come tommorrow.

Holm86

newbie wrote:the inlets are similar to those on the 2009 high-downforce RW, except that one is on the left side of the car and the other is on the right side. i havent seen any 100% clear image of the inlets but if my suspicion is correct it should be fairly obvious come tommorrow.
Sorry i think i misunderstood what you ment. What you are talking about is what is visable right underneath the first "O" and the "N" in the vodafone logo right?

Holm86 wrote:
newbie wrote:the inlets are similar to those on the 2009 high-downforce RW, except that one is on the left side of the car and the other is on the right side. i havent seen any 100% clear image of the inlets but if my suspicion is correct it should be fairly obvious come tommorrow.
Sorry i think i misunderstood what you ment. What you are talking about is what is visable right underneath the first "O" and the "N" in the vodafone logo right?
yup, thats it!