Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Ral
Ral

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

MercAMGF1Fans wrote:
NonNewtonic wrote:
Morteza wrote:So they finally unveiled the updates they promised for Singapore. The one thing that makes me wonder along with other members on this forum is that they are using sensors on the car. Is it really the first time? Is it because of their 60% model? The thing is they are always late with their upgrades. We can all remember how long it took them to adapt EBD last year. I hope it helps the car gain some pace or it's all wasted effort.
But one thing not may people realise that whenever Mercedes introduce a upgrade it always work! Unlike teams like Lotus Williams etc. they need hell lot of track running on EVERY single upgrade they introduce.
Tis True!
With the relatively minor caveat of course, that the Lotus and Williams cars have been competitive on more or less 9 or 10 tracks so far this year. :p

On a more serious note, what parts have you seen other teams, or these two in particular, bring to races and spend an inordinate amount of time testing? All I can think of is Lotus' ddrs and after this test, Mercedes will have had more on-track testing on their design than the 4 hours Kimi had with it.

For example Lotus' pelican nose appeared and was raced then and there, so were Williams' brake ducts. Basically, I don't know how you've come to the conclusion that the Mercedes aero updates have worked as expected with less on-track testing when all the teams use Friday running to evaluate their new parts?

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

Huntresa wrote:I dont think anyone runs a full size wind tunnel model.
FIA rules doesn't allow full scale models.. max is 60%

Timstr
Timstr

Merc testing different nozzles to blow the underside of the wing:

Small gap to the underside of the wing:

Larger gap to the underside of the wing:

turbof1

That's interesting. I think I have an idea why they don't connect it to the main plane. If I am correct, they try to spread the air over a larger area under the wing, That would also be the only reason IMO that they are trying a longer and shorter pipe: they are trying to find the optimal energy to area point. So it is a trade off: with a shorter pipe making the air coming out of the pipe more spread but less powerfull, and vice versa.
#AeroFrodo

f1316
f1316

What do we think the reason is for Mercedes' system not being attached to the rear wing, like the Lotus version?

You would imagine that being attached means more air would be blown, but as is pointed out above, Mercedes are even experimenting with moving the nozzle further away.

Just wondered if anyone had any insight.

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

hmm.. this is from today.. old configuration.

Timstr
Timstr

You have to do back-to-backs to confirm effect of updates.

turbof1

f1316 wrote:What do we think the reason is for Mercedes' system not being attached to the rear wing, like the Lotus version?

You would imagine that being attached means more air would be blown, but as is pointed out above, Mercedes are even experimenting with moving the nozzle further away.

It's guessing from my part, but I think it would be something like this:

longer pipe:

shorter pipe:
turbof1 wrote:That's interesting. I think I have an idea why they don't connect it to the main plane. If I am correct, they try to spread the air over a larger area under the wing, That would also be the only reason IMO that they are trying a longer and shorter pipe: they are trying to find the optimal energy to area point. So it is a trade off: with a shorter pipe making the air coming out of the pipe more spread but less powerfull, and vice versa.
#AeroFrodo

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

Oh and Magny cours track just tweeted that Schumi's rocked up to pay a visit

NonNewtonic
NonNewtonic

According to amus the whole system is actually not complete the complete system will stall three parts of the car which includes the front and rear which however the third part is not mentioned .

Raptor22
Raptor22

I sincerely hope that Mercedes will be adding a flow improver to the front of the side pod to increase the coanda effect. Sort of pointless adding the new exhausts and then expecting detached flow to improve the effect. I guess this is not the complete upgrade package. =D> [-o<

bhall
bhall

turbof1 wrote:
f1316 wrote:What do we think the reason is for Mercedes' system not being attached to the rear wing, like the Lotus version?

longer pipe:
[image]

shorter pipe:
[image]
I think this is a bit more representative. It's about the intensity of the flow rather than the shape it takes. The Lotus VD uses the duct to physically deflect air flow itself. The discharged air merely changes the size of the deflection.

The Mercedes system appears to rely on the energy of the discharged air alone for effect. Frankly, I don't know how well it's going to work, because it should be fairly easy for the free stream flow to to completely diffuse the discharged flow from the duct.

Anyone have better pictures of the intakes?

turbof1

bhallg2k wrote:
turbof1 wrote:

longer pipe:
[image]

shorter pipe:
[image]
I think this is a bit more representative. It's about the intensity of the flow rather than the shape it takes. The Lotus VD uses the duct to physically deflect air flow itself. The discharged air merely changes the size of the deflection.

The Mercedes system appears to rely on the energy of the discharged air alone for effect. Frankly, I don't know how well it's going to work, because it should be fairly easy for the free stream flow to to completely diffuse the discharged flow from the duct.

Anyone have better pictures of the intakes?

My guess is that due that pipe being behind the roll hoop and engine cover, that the free stream flow isn't affected as much the discharged flow.

This is a rather good image of the intakes:
#AeroFrodo

Coefficient
Coefficient

Sauber's Tunnel can do 100% models, one of only 3 in the world at the time it was built. Whether they use it that way is a different matter.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

SilverArrows
SilverArrows

Coefficient wrote:

Sauber's Tunnel can do 100% models, one of only 3 in the world at the time it was built. Whether they use it that way is a different matter.
http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules ... 3/fia.html

Rule 22.4 c) iii) Four one day aerodynamic tests carried out on FIA approved straight line or constant radius sites between 1 January of the current year and the start of the last Event of the Championship. Any of these days may be substituted for four hours of wind]on full scale wind tunnel testing to be carried out in a single twenty four hour period.

Rule 22.9 With the exception of the full scale testing permitted in 22.4(c)(iii) above, no wind tunnel testing may be carried out using a scale model which is greater than 60% of full size.