Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Re: Ferrari F2012

Intego wrote:They have one of the fastest race pace and need to improve in qualifying. The easiest way to do this is the DDRS.
I don't disagree mate, not at all. I just think that introducing DDRS is too large of an update to do this late in the season, especially in a team that has had ongoing wind tunnel & correlation problems. DDRS will change the dynamics of the car & I'm not sure there's enough time to get it all sorted. Maybe that's what they're doing today & tomorrow at the straightline test but I doubt it. For sure we will see a new RW in Austin only time will tell if it incorporates DDRS. I think if the team can overcome the supposed DRS deficiency it will be well served & help increase the one lap Quali pace.

Matt Somers
Matt Somers

I'm not going to make comment on Gary Anderson's observations but I will weigh in to say that part of the reason that Ferrari use the pedal operated DRS is to aid in re-attachment at the Rear Wing allowing them to have a larger DRS delta. The time that elapses between the driver moving his foot from the DRS pedal to the Brake pedal helps with re-attaching the airflow to the Rear Wing before the braking phase. IF they are stalling the diffuser at high DRS speeds then perhaps they either need to look at reducing their DRS delta or re-modelling the Diffuser Gurney to pull the air through the diffuser differently when they need it to re-attach it.

In the video of the lap below (I realise the FOM graphics shouldn't be trusted) they do show the DRS being deactivated before the brakes are applied

[youtube]http://youtu.be/ngAPsRwfZ-4[/youtube]
Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

Matt89
Matt89

http://www.f1analisitecnica.com/

In short: New parts didn't work on track, again...
"Mi chiedete quale è la differenza tra la F1 eroica e quella attuale. Beh, è come se prima si camminasse in equilibrio su un filo sospeso a strapiombo sul Grand Canyon. Ora quel filo è ben teso in camera da letto, a un palmo dal materasso: l'abilità richiesta per camminarci sopra è la stessa, ma la sfida è cambiata per sempre".

- Stirling Moss -

"Se gommo tiene, io vince gara! Se gommo non tiene, io come bomba dentro montagna."

- Markku Alen -

ecapox

The title says "Still errors between Wind Tunnel and Track." But in the article it says "It will be important to see if the problems with the rear wing and DRS have been fixed."

I'll just label it as garbage not worth reading.

TheGkbrk
TheGkbrk

We saw so many articles saying Ferrari will be bringing huge upgrade packages to some races and none of them became true so I don't think that article is very trustworthy as well. Let's just wait for US GP and see where we are.

Ludus

Matt89 wrote:http://www.f1analisitecnica.com/

this kind of website, unfortunately, are not affordable. (and i say that being an italian guy)
most of all italian website/blog/forum, just translate a news (fake or not, sometimes they translate also bad !) from english website/forum (also this one)/blog or copy between themself (italian website).
i don't wanna say that this news is a 100% fake, but i can't find any other source about that and the same website sometimes wrote something right, often something that wasn't right.

by the way, hi to all, i'm ludovico from rome. if sometimes you need some translation, make a call. :mrgreen:

ps: sorry for my english, just i said, i'm italian #-o

f300v10
f300v10

TheGkbrk wrote:We saw so many articles saying Ferrari will be bringing huge upgrade packages to some races and none of them became true so I don't think that article is very trustworthy as well. Let's just wait for US GP and see where we are.
Well in the last two races they did bring 2 new front wings, new turning vanes, new floor/diffuser, and new rear wing. Upgrades don't get much bigger than that short of re-designing the car.

Ferrari definitely faces an up-hill battle to get the F2012 on par with the RB8 in the last two races. However I expect the remaining tracks will be a better fit for Ferrari as they have fewer low speed corners, which have been the Achilles heel of the F2012 all season. Austin appears similar to Silverstone in many respects and the F2012 and the RB8 were closely matched there in July.

Ludus

f300v10 wrote:
TheGkbrk wrote:We saw so many articles saying Ferrari will be bringing huge upgrade packages to some races and none of them became true so I don't think that article is very trustworthy as well. Let's just wait for US GP and see where we are.
Well in the last two races they did bring 2 new front wings, new turning vanes, new floor/diffuser, and new rear wing. Upgrades don't get much bigger than that short of re-designing the car.

Ferrari definitely faces an up-hill battle to get the F2012 on par with the RB8 in the last two races. However I expect the remaining tracks will be a better fit for Ferrari as they have fewer low speed corners, which have been the Achilles heel of the F2012 all season. Austin appears similar to Silverstone in many respects and the F2012 and the RB8 were closely matched there in July.
like you said, in july. maybe the best part of ferrari's season was before the summer break. right now, i think that rb8 could feel more confortable in this new track.

i really hope in a great final battle, i'm a ferrari fan and alonso deserve the title for how he has driven during this year.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Ludus wrote:

this kind of website, unfortunately, are not affordable. (and i say that being an italian guy)
most of all italian website/blog/forum, just translate a news (fake or not, sometimes they translate also bad !) from english website/forum (also this one)/blog or copy between themself (italian website).
i don't wanna say that this news is a 100% fake, but i can't find any other source about that and the same website sometimes wrote something right, often something that wasn't right.

by the way, hi to all, i'm ludovico from rome. if sometimes you need some translation, make a call. :mrgreen:

Welcome to the forum mate, hope to see you around! :))

As for the article, I think it's speculation & best to wait until Austin. We will know this race if the F2012 can help Fer win the WDC. I think only Ferrari know the results of the most recent straightline test and we won't know until this coming Saturday.

jonaliew
jonaliew

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
Ludus wrote:

Welcome to the forum mate, hope to see you around! :))

As for the article, I think it's speculation & best to wait until Austin. We will know this race if the F2012 can help Fer win the WDC. I think only Ferrari know the results of the most recent straightline test and we won't know until this coming Saturday.
+1. said like a true man Crucial.

Ferrari know they got all to lose in the last 2 races. Let's hope for good pictures on thrusday, FP1 and FP2 as well.

Hail22

What will be interesting is how they have improved the flow separation from the re-attachment of the DRS flap
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

diffuser

Hail22 wrote:What will be interesting is how they have improved the flow separation from the re-attachment of the DRS flap
If it is true' that the drs's airflow re-attachment has a longer delay on the F2012 than others. I'm not sure they'd modify it. I'm sure by now, the drivers are used to it and are working around it by disengaging the drs earlier. I'm sure they'd be more concerned with the actual efficiency of the wing when the drs is deployed and not deployed than the length of time the air takes to re-attach. I presume that the delay might be as high as a 10th of a second but the difference with other vehicles might be in the 100th. I doudt that adds up to anything in lap time. Add to that the downforce increase when that air reconnects is huge, therefore, easy to time.

adam2003
adam2003

What updates are they bringing? Iv looked on the Ferrari website video but cant find any new on google eaither

adam2003
adam2003

What is ferraris downfall is it the high speed corners? the next races have more low speed could this play to ferrari better as in being up the grid more?

raymondu999

adam2003 wrote:What is ferraris downfall is it the high speed corners? the next races have more low speed could this play to ferrari better as in being up the grid more?
Ferrari's downfall so far has been the slow corners. Understeer on entry, and bad traction on exit anyways.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法