Formula 1 valve timing

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
sachinc99
sachinc99

Formula 1 valve timing

Hi I want to know abt the valve timing in f1 engines.
And also the valve timing diagram

Sachin

riff_raff
riff_raff

Re: Formula 1 valve timing

Static or dynamic?
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

majicmeow
majicmeow

Seeing as the valve timing in these engines is fixed, wouldn't that mean that it is always static? Perhaps I am missing what you mean...

If the intake valves are static timed to 15degrees BTDC, they are ALWAYS going to open at 15d BTDC. Overlap, duration and lift cannot change.

I doubt very much that the manufacturers would release sensitive information about valve timing for their engines, as those figures would be substantial to the performance of the engine.

Just my 2Β’...

pedaltometal
pedaltometal

Too bad, i'd love to get a cam ground to the same specifics as an F1 cam for a chevy V8... I think that wouldn't work well :lol:
Edit: Come to think about it, it just wouldn't work at all since F1 is 4OHC chevy is SOHC...

riff_raff
riff_raff

majicmeow,

Static valve timing means the valve follows the cam profile precisely. But at the speeds/inertias an F1 valvetrain operates at, the valve and bucket lifter are probably in actual contact with the cam lobe only during the initial lift period. As the lifter moves across the cam "nose" at higher speeds, it literally jumps by design. Thus creating a crude form of variable valve timing and lift.

majicmeow
majicmeow

Ah, I understand what you mean. Static by design, Dynamic by consequence. Neat way to look at it! Thanks for the insight ;)

PlatinumZealot

But isn't that the reason why the have pneumatic springs? to prevent valve lift?!

So what happened to variable valve timing? that does not exist in F1 anymore?
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

Ray

n smikle wrote:But isn't that the reason why the have pneumatic springs? to prevent valve lift?!

If I'm not mistaken pneumatic valve springs were introduced to increase the revs, not to prevent valve lift. At the speeds the engines run metal springs would never work, and I doubt that a Desmodromic valve system would work either. I also believe VVT is against the rules. Some technological wonder F1 is huh? :D

timbo
timbo

Ray wrote:Some technological wonder F1 is huh? :D
Yeah, can I mention NASCAR? Oops, sorry... :mrgreen:

Belatti
Belatti

timbo wrote:
Ray wrote:Some technological wonder F1 is huh? :D
Yeah, can I mention NASCAR? Oops, sorry... :mrgreen:
And again and again #-o

If you keep laughing at NASCAR you will turn into NASCAR! -the Bernie warlock said

Oh!!! Its already happening! Old technology engine standarization! Night races! What else? Oval tracks? ](*,)
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

majicmeow
majicmeow

Pnumatic valves were nessessary to prevent valve float, a problem inherent in high reving engines. With 19000rpm on tapetal valve springs would never do the job. The two issues go hand in hand. Likewise the pnumaric system would not be needed as an added complexity if the engines only ran at 9 or 10 thousand rpm.

riff_raff
riff_raff

The pneumatic valve spring does a lot of things.

A high operating frequency with a metal valve spring produces all sorts of crazy vibratory modes in the coil spring. When you get to valve operating frequencies above 100Hz (around 13,000 rpm) these spring vibratory modes can seriously affect valve motion and also over-stress an already highly-stressed metal spring. The mass of the metal valve spring itself also adds to the inertial loads in the system.

The beneficial characteristics of a pneumatic valve spring are that it is somewhat self dampening, it is lighter than a metal coil spring, it is slightly more compact than a metal coil spring, and most importantly the spring rate it provides can be actively varied simply by changing the system's feed pressure. This allows lower valve spring rates at lower operating speeds, thus producing less valvetrain friction loss and more power.

Saabjock
Saabjock

n smikle wrote:But isn't that the reason why the have pneumatic springs? to prevent valve lift?!

valve bounce.
DoubleT

PlatinumZealot

yeah that's what i meant.. valve bounce.
(lift :oops: :lol:)

There is no metal spring that can meet the acceleration requirement?
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

xpensive
xpensive

One rather important feature with a pneumatic valve-system is that it has no serious hysteresis,
when the air never really changes pressure or volume.

Deforming metal elastically has, why it causes internal friction and as a consequence, heat.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"