F2: Henry Surtees dies in terrifying accident

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Michiba
Michiba

Re: F2: Henry Surtees in hospital after major accident

Firstly condolences to the family.

We don't get much F2 (or anything other than V8 supercars) in Australia, but I did get to see some action on eurosport when I was in europe.

Looks like a freak accident to me as other's have stated. Reminds of albert park a few years back when a loose wheel managed to find it's way through a gap in the fence killing a steward.

Regarding the tethers, I know they're designed to withstand longitudinal forces but resistance do they have to being cut? I'd assume in an accident they'd be exposed to cracked carbon.

WhiteBlue

I think that it is not possible to design wheel tethers that are 100% safe against failure from huge impacts. It looks like the driver was unconscious after the wheel impacted the helmet. So he would have had very little protection against the head coming forward at the following frontal impact with the barriers. His neck muscles will not have given him any protections at all and he will probably have totally relied on HANS at that point. I know that they improved the helmet strength some years ago but it looks like it may not have been enough for freak accidents like this.

The impact point with the armco had no tyre or TecPro barrier if I did watch the video right. This is probably another point that is not good. The first accident which led to the tyre flying in the first place happened at a point where tyre barriers with conveyor belt was present. It is known that this kind of barrier is less than optimal in terms of forces applied to the impacting car. Perhaps they need to think about making TecPro barriers mandatory.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

modbaraban
modbaraban

WhiteBlue wrote:It appears from the race footage that Surtees was first hit by the wheel and then went full speed into the safety barrier. So his head and neck was probably exposed to multiple severe impacts. I do not know how good the safety standards are at Brands Hatch but I'm sure it isn't on F1 level in terms of run off and barriers.
Although he hit the barriers with full throttle (it was still open even after the car had stopped), it looks like the angle of the impact wasn't 90' as the car's front wasn't damaged much. It looks like the bouncing wheel caused the fatal injury.

WhiteBlue

The wheel hit certainly knocked him out. And I agree that the 2nd impact wasn't frontal. I still think that is may have had a very significant contribution to his injuries.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Michiba
Michiba

yes, being probably unconcious during the hit on the wall, he would not have been able to brace himself and subsequently would suffer severe whiplash. How much does the hans device restrict movement of the head anyway?

dumrick
dumrick

This makes us realize that, even after all the progress done in terms of safety, we still love a sadly dangerous sport...

I'm deeply emotioned by the loss of the young Surtees. Let's hope that this unfortunate event makes the amount of safety in motorsport evolve even further.

The FOZ
The FOZ

modbaraban wrote:AIt looks like the bouncing wheel caused the fatal injury.
To my eye, that's what it seems as well. Any wheel bouncing about like that one was carries a LOT of kinetic energy, and to drive into that at speed...huge impact.

Ray

Judging by the way the wheel went off the track and over a barrier after he hit it I'd sayit was the impact of the wheel that killed him. That's quite a bit of weight to go flying that far after an impact, luckily there weren't any marshalls over there or it could have been two fatalities. Shame to see anyone, regardless of what they are doing to have died at any age, much less only 18. May he rest in peace.

megz

Henry Surtees dies

We regret to report that Formula Two driver Henry Surtees has passed away in a London hospital after the 18-year-old Englishman was struck on the helmet by a flying wheel at Brands Hatch on Sunday. The son of 1964 F1 Champion John Surtees was knocked unconscious before ploughing head on into a crash barrier.

Henry Surtees entered his first kart race when he was eight years old at Blackbushe in Hampshire on 25th September 1999 in a 60cc Comer Zip Kart and throughout the remainder of 1999 and 2000 he took part in many club events at Rye House, Buckmore Park and Blackbushe. He was the winner of the 2000 Club Winter Championship at Rye House aged 9.

In 2001 he changed to a Cadet Wright Comet Kart and competed in club events throughout the year and was named 'Man of the Meeting' in 'Champions of the Future' at Rowrah. In 2002 Henry graduated to a Mini Max Rotax 125cc for 11/16 year olds. He won at Buckmore Park his first time out, followed by 2 heat wins and fastest lap at Whilton Mill.

2003 saw further successes with the Mini Max with many heat and final wins, fastest laps and lap records. He was also a member of the British Inter-Nations team and the highest points scorer and a member of the winning team.

In 2004 Henry drove a 125cc Junior Max Rotax at various circuits throughout the country with a number of heat and final wins. In 2005 he competed in two classes in this series, Junior Gearbox and Junior Max with many good heat and final places in the Junior Max class finishing 6th in the event series. In the Junior Gearbox class he had many heat and final wins and was crowned 'Stars of Tomorrow' Junior Gearbox Champion at Buckmore Park on 25 September.

His career really started when Henry entered the Ginetta GT Junior series in Great Britain in 2006. He won three races and finished third in the championship. After a year of Formula BMW he moved to Formula Renault 2.0 UK in 2008.

Our thoughts are with Henry's friends and family, including parents John and Jane who were both present at the Kent circuit this weekend.

Not good for Formula two or the FIA. Condolences to the Surtees family.

paused

Re: Henry Surtees dies

A truly freak and most unfortunate accident. Condolences to the Surtees family. I suppose another illustration that the most dangerous aspect of open wheeler racing is from wheel separation from the chassis. While much has been done to improve impact protection across all formula's, the exposure of the drivers head in an open wheeler remains a signifcant danager that cannot be underestimated in these times of improved saftey design.

joseff

RIP Henry.

As a Williams fan it saddens me more that we should have another tragic accident.

freedom_honda

RIP Henry.

Does anyone know how much does a wheel weight?
I have only been following F1 since 2007 and after seeing Kubica's crash in Canada 2007, i thought no one would get killed in formula racing anymore. This accident made me realise the danger of motorsport will never go away.

Patriiick
Patriiick

Re: F2: Henry Surtees dies in terrifying accident

you are looking at a 11kg wheel or something close + it seems suspension bits attached to it, probably also full brake system and hub..

No doubt that poor Henry probably had is neck instantly broken.. with inertia and speed, the impact to the head must have been huge.

I am a bit concerned why no thethers are mandatory in FR..

Motorsport is dangerous, probably a bit of a freak accident, but still.
Melbourne accident in 1999(??) with JV crash, with a loose wheel killing a marshall was a freak accident also, the wheel jumping exactly through the 60cm opening between the fences..

RIP ! :(

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

I wish to extend my solemn condolences to the entire Surtees family at this moment of great loss. So terribly tragic.

Any form of motor racing carries immense potential for tragedy. Even today we must never be arrogant enough to believe that we have solved all safety issues in racing. You can never be safe enough.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

tk421

Thoughts and prayers with the Surtees family, and as a Williams fan, a shame that their cars have been involved in this death and Senna's. Someone made a statement about Max rushing the series onto the scene; obviously we can't blame Max for this death but I do kinda agree with that comment. Do we know if he died instantly or after he arrived at the hospital?
Best regards. I guess this explains why I'm not at my post!