wheelbase and track

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
cfditya
cfditya

wheelbase and track

hello,

if One has to design a vehicle.....i think the first step in the process is to determine the amount of wheelbase and track width to run.....is there any specific methodology to come to the right numbers???......

I do know that a longer wheel base has more wt transfer longitdinally..and a wider track does the same laterally. So obviously this the basis for designing or getting the right wheel base and track......

what methodology or philosophy will u guys use if u r assigned to find out the right wheel base and track????

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Longer wheelbase and wider track yield less weight transfer.

Track I'd run as wide as rules allow while still being able to pick good lines and get around the track.

Wheelbase, longer = more stable. Depends on what kind of track you're going to be running at, speeds, steer angle range, that sort of thing. Tight, low to medium speed auto-x, short wheelbase. Silverstone, much longer.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Carlos
Carlos

Most of the expermentation of F1 track VS wheelbase dimensions were actively explored in the 60's and 70's for rear engine design. Take a survey of cars of that period.

This first link confirms your basic premise.
http://racingarticles.com/article_racing-19.html

This next link suggests an intriguing idea Referencing GP car designs of the 60's - a decade of radical experimentation for rear engine design. The Golden Mean Ratio. Worth Exploring?
http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/spr/2002-11/msg0046143.html

Also research CAN AM for insight into this problem ... Jim Hall designed both wide and narrow track designs. One car went again norms using a narrow track in hopes of lower frontal area seeking an aero advantage while capitalizing on a wing shaped body/ side profile.

I look forward to your conclusions and research.

AeroGT3
AeroGT3

Another lees identified benefit of a longer wheelbase is the potential either more downforce or the same downforce with less drag, possibly with the same weight if the series has a min. weight.