Why are the rears more important?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
raymondu999

Why are the rears more important?

I always seem to hear, "look after the rears." "I looked after my rears." "My rears are gone" but I never seem to hear about the fronts. Is it just because the rears are more important, or what?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

WhiteBlue

Re: Why are the rears more important?

The rears have to transmit all acceleration and a part of the braking. Fronts only do the braking and steering. So unless the car is set up somehow wrong for braking you are not likely to wear out the front tyres before the rear.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

raymondu999

So it's just (mostly anyways) a case of the rears being easier to wipe out than the fronts?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Pandamasque

Oversteer is more dangerous than understeer. When you have less grip at the rear it will result in more oversteer. Simple as that. When the fronts lock up for example you'll run wide like Button did on his first lap on the dry tires. When the rears lock up you end up in the gravel, backwards (like Vettel). (neither of the two examples were related to tire wear issues, but that's beside the poiont)

marcush.
marcush.

The driver cannot see or feel if the tyre is loosing grip because the tyre is getting hotter or colder (or experiencing the effects of rising or falling pressure)
so the team with at least onetyre temp probe and tyre pressure information can give the driver a hint what to do to maintain balance.so if the parameters goe wowrds too high pressure and temps ,they give advice.
I´m pretty sure if they detect a driver abusing the fronts on turn in and causing a problem due to that they would advise as well ...