[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
k.ko100v
k.ko100v

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

Koldskaal wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 19:59
k.ko100v wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 18:14

OK I don't know why but it seems that my car has issues with the Y direction as well

The version of the Mflow is downloaded today, and the STL files are from .... 1st of july V5
That certainly looks weird... are you sure you exported the stls correctly? iirc you use solidworks right?
There is an option in SW that moves stls into "positive" space when you export them. You dont want that. This could explain what you are seeing.
Yes, you are right, there is something wrong with the stl exporting. It is ridiculous situation, 2 weeks ago I've changed my company laptop with new one because of the issues with the importing, now the same sh^t happens with the exporting.

Will see those options. Thank you.

LVDH

RicME85 wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 13:54
G-raph wrote:
16 Jul 2022, 23:29
Hi,

Sorry for being dumb, but where can I find this latest Windows version of MFLow? I have registered my team but nothing appears in the Windows download section on the website.

Thanks for your help!
https://mantiumchallenge.com/download/m ... 2-windows/
Quite a while ago I noticed that the download button itself was not working correctly anymore, so I removed the requirement of having to be signed in to the MantiumChallenge page. I can only assume that deleting cache and reloading the page would work.

k.ko100v wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 20:45
Koldskaal wrote:
k.ko100v wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 18:14

OK I don't know why but it seems that my car has issues with the Y direction as well

The version of the Mflow is downloaded today, and the STL files are from .... 1st of july V5
That certainly looks weird... are you sure you exported the stls correctly? iirc you use solidworks right?
There is an option in SW that moves stls into "positive" space when you export them. You dont want that. This could explain what you are seeing.
Yes, you are right, there is something wrong with the stl exporting. It is ridiculous situation, 2 weeks ago I've changed my company laptop with new one because of the issues with the importing, now the same sh^t happens with the exporting.

This really sounds like and issue with exporting stl files, indeed. It is always amazing how much difficulties all CAD packages have with stl, while in the CFD world it is the standard. And the funny thing about this "standard" is that it is no standard. So issues simply happen. I could actually fairly easy implement something in MFlow to shift geometries to match the Y-Symmetry plane, if it is selected (which it is in MVRC templates), but this is something for my backlog. For now, you have to take control of your CFD software yourself.

k.ko100v
k.ko100v

LVDH wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 21:07
RicME85 wrote:
G-raph wrote:
Hi,

Sorry for being dumb, but where can I find this latest Windows version of MFLow? I have registered my team but nothing appears in the Windows download section on the website.

Thanks for your help!
Quite a while ago I noticed that the download button itself was not working correctly anymore, so I removed the requirement of having to be signed in to the MantiumChallenge page. I can only assume that deleting cache and reloading the page would work.

k.ko100v wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 20:45
Koldskaal wrote:

This really sounds like and issue with exporting stl files, indeed. It is always amazing how much difficulties all CAD packages have with stl, while in the CFD world it is the standard. And the funny thing about this "standard" is that it is no standard. So issues simply happen. I could actually fairly easy implement something in MFlow to shift geometries to match the Y-Symmetry plane, if it is selected (which it is in MVRC templates), but this is something for my backlog. For now, you have to take control of your CFD software yourself.
Just for the record this is the option that MUST be marked in cases SolidWorks is used.

Thank you for the support guys. Cheers!

yinlad

So I got a run completed, all seemed ok apart from some Streamlines having incorrect origin points but not the end of the world.

I am seeing some artifacts over the entirety of my floor however, has anyone ever experienced something like this? Image
MVRC - Panthera

jjn9128

yinlad wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 21:45
So I got a run completed, all seemed ok apart from some Streamlines having incorrect origin points but not the end of the world.

I am seeing some artifacts over the entirety of my floor however, has anyone ever experienced something like this? https://i.imgur.com/EG4LuHr.png
You have a mesh leak. Make sure your surface is watertight.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

yinlad

jjn9128 wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 22:06
yinlad wrote:

I am seeing some artifacts over the entirety of my floor however, has anyone ever experienced something like this? https://i.imgur.com/EG4LuHr.png
You have a mesh leak. Make sure your surface is watertight.
Ah yes I remember now that you mention it. Tyvm
MVRC - Panthera

RicME85

G-raph wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 18:55
RicME85 wrote:
G-raph wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for your help!
Thanks RicME85, but I don't have access to any file to download on this page. And if I follow the dropbox link it is not the latest version (and therefore doesn't work on Windows as previously reported).

https://i.postimg.cc/jjrL6kRT/image.png

I have registered my team on the website, so I'm not sure why I can't access it.
The dropbox link in your screenshot is the same as the one I have....which is for the new version.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qijdekh0zvtvj ... s.zip?dl=0

G-raph

LVDH wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 21:07

Thank you for your help (and RicME85 too), very much appreciated. In the end a simple refresh of the page worked as you suggested.

LVDH

RicME85 wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 00:32
G-raph wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 18:55
Thanks RicME85, but I don't have access to any file to download on this page. And if I follow the dropbox link it is not the latest version (and therefore doesn't work on Windows as previously reported).

https://i.postimg.cc/jjrL6kRT/image.png

I have registered my team on the website, so I'm not sure why I can't access it.
The dropbox link in your screenshot is the same as the one I have....which is for the new version.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qijdekh0zvtvj ... s.zip?dl=0

https://upload.cc/i1/2022/07/18/4wgfN6.jpeg
OK, now I understand the confusion. One of my fixes to deal with the non-working download button was to paste the Dropbox link. As the button is fixed, that link is not needed anymore. I will remove it.

I am now on the missing fixes. Later today, I will release a new MFlow, new parts (nothing major mainly fixingthe wheels and suspension) and hopefully get the support forum fixed.

CAEdevice

Hi, I noticed that rear suspensions upper arms do not intersect the gearbox, is it (temporary) correct or I did something wrong in the assembly?

LVDH

OK,
so today was not my most productive day. I have managed to do some CAD work, but only created volumes to reduce mesh size in the wheels, so for race 1, you will have to live with the suspensions as they are. If you have issues in your CAD system, please consider creating some dummy geometries.
A new version of MFlow is up.
I have modified the rules slightly, so make sure to check them out

CAEdevice wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 08:58
Hi, I noticed that rear suspensions upper arms do not intersect the gearbox, is it (temporary) correct or I did something wrong in the assembly?
That is how the files are now, so think about a solution and do not forget rule ???.
Ahhh, somehow the rule about unrealistic geometries seems to have disappeared or am I blind?

yinlad

yinlad wrote:

Any tips on how to look for a leak? I can't spot anything obvious, no blatant holes etc.
MVRC - Panthera

RicME85

Have you tried Meshlab or Meshmixer to check your model?

yinlad

RicME85 wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 21:57
yeah I tried Meshmixer, I found a couple of places that holes appeared in when I tried to create a solid with the mesh on a low resolution so I'm currently testing if that's where the issue is
MVRC - Panthera

jjn9128

yinlad wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 21:59
RicME85 wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 21:57
yeah I tried Meshmixer, I found a couple of places that holes appeared in when I tried to create a solid with the mesh on a low resolution so I'm currently testing if that's where the issue is
my best advice is to overlap your geometries by 1-2mm
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica