Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: Ferrari F1-75

Does look much more like the spread from a thin oil.

Petrol would go up much faster, see Grosjean's crash.

pierrre
pierrre

.poz wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 18:41
pierrre wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 14:46
.poz wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 15:15

Maybe i'm wrong but i think that was the turbo

phase 1: ICE issue, some smoke from the rear of the car
phase 2: some part of the ICE goes thought the exhaust to the turbo and the turbo explodes
phase 3: oil form turbo lubrication/cooling go on fire
watch it again, before the car came to a stop there was like a bit of a small explosion
turbos can explode. imagine something at 15000 rpm suddenly stopping because a piece of an exhaust valve goes inside it

https://youtu.be/w4sH4pLlSRo

also the most damaged part is at the rear of the engine, where the turbo (splited or not) is

of course it'all assumptions
the bit that was blowing up before flames engulfed the bodywork was from the front area of the sidepod to the lower rear. Before the blow up, the exhaust can be seen shooting out debris

Jump to 0:51 of this video

f1316
f1316

rafeyahmad wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 11:07
I suppose this is not the first time we’ve heard this, but encouraging if they still have this kind of upgrade to come - could be a significant upgrade at these types of tracks.

Presumably it would also require new components and therefore could trigger additional engine penalties (depending on which components/how many already used)? If so you would imagine they would not want these to occur at Monza.

mzso
mzso

PhillipM wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 20:01
Does look much more like the spread from a thin oil.

Petrol would go up much faster, see Grosjean's crash.
dialtone wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 19:16
I'll repeat that it's very unlikely it's petrol, there's way too much energy in burning petrol, if there was a leak it would have been a lot faster than that, and more violent.

It's more likely it's oil from the turbo, when the turbo broke and exploded, oil started leaking out and the heat ignited it.
Perhaps. It is a tad too smokey.

"there's way too much energy in burning petrol" - I don't think it's much different to fuel, it just burns differently.

PlatinumZealot

dialtone wrote:
mzso wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 19:14
GrizzleBoy wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 06:53
Crazy how fast it spread right upto the monocoque.
Petrol does that. Burns rather well.
I'll repeat that it's very unlikely it's petrol, there's way too much energy in burning petrol, if there was a leak it would have been a lot faster than that, and more violent.

It's more likely it's oil from the turbo, when the turbo broke and exploded, oil started leaking out and the heat ignited it.
Wasn't violent enough? :shock:

It's petrol alright, the initial explosion.

The flames afterward could be other stuff, but I doubt it's oil because it was burning pretty clean and oil doesn't burn clean.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dialtone
dialtone

PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 15:48
dialtone wrote:
mzso wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 19:14

Petrol does that. Burns rather well.

Wasn't violent enough? :shock:

It's petrol alright, the initial explosion.

The flames afterward could be other stuff, but I doubt it's oil because it was burning pretty clean and oil doesn't burn clean.
It wasn't violent at all, that little explosion is par of the course when you stop a spinning turbo.

this is what proper petrol fire looks like, and if a fuel pipe or the bladder had a leak, since it's all in pressure, we would have seen something like the above.

hollus

A one lap mode of the hybrid part of the PU is much better placed in the PU thread than in this thread.
Rivals, not enemies.

PhillipM
PhillipM

PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 15:48

Thin, hot oil burns pretty quickly and cleanly indeed. That's the basis of most home/workshop oil heaters after all.

mzso
mzso

dialtone wrote:
17 Jul 2022, 17:30
It wasn't violent at all, that little explosion is par of the course when you stop a spinning turbo.

this is what proper petrol fire looks like, and if a fuel pipe or the bladder had a leak, since it's all in pressure, we would have seen something like the above.
You may be right about the cause, but that's not a representative counter example. Fuel was splashed around in free air where it could vaporise.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

This video is showing a different anti roll bar design which helps with the inner tyre loading on turn in and being flatter keeps the aero feed more consistent. Maybe the chassis people here can expound..
By clicking the CC button and then the settings icon you can auto translate into English, but I'm sure things will be lost in translation
The MGUK and energy storage temperatures are discussed re 70C, what is not apparent is how the MGUK deploys ?
In the Alfa section the drawings show the floor bleed off vortices , which are common to all, being fed into the rear tyre wedge, isnt that a big negative?

holeindalip
holeindalip

.poz wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 18:41
pierrre wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 14:46
.poz wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 15:15

Maybe i'm wrong but i think that was the turbo

phase 1: ICE issue, some smoke from the rear of the car
phase 2: some part of the ICE goes thought the exhaust to the turbo and the turbo explodes
phase 3: oil form turbo lubrication/cooling go on fire
watch it again, before the car came to a stop there was like a bit of a small explosion
turbos can explode. imagine something at 15000 rpm suddenly stopping because a piece of an exhaust valve goes inside it

https://youtu.be/w4sH4pLlSRo

also the most damaged part is at the rear of the engine, where the turbo (splited or not) is

of course it'all assumptions
More like 150k rpm….

Xyz22
Xyz22

"Significant upgrade of venturi inlet design now double profile. Increased downforce via more volume in the undercut. Evolved floor."

SiLo

Xyz22 wrote:
21 Jul 2022, 13:47

"Significant upgrade of venturi inlet design now double profile. Increased downforce via more volume in the undercut. Evolved floor."

https://www.formu1a.uno/wp-content/uplo ... ex-2-1.jpg
What are the regs like in this area? could the entire inlet be that height?
Felipe Baby!

Sevach
Sevach

As much as this word is overused, quite a "radical" redesign.

PhillipM
PhillipM

That's a serious change/upgrade, gonna be interesting.