2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Gillian
Gillian

Re: 2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Wouter wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 12:13
Wazari wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 01:53
Wouter wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 16:25
@Wazari, could you tell me please if this still is true?
I don't know what you are asking, "still is true?" If Honda has made a special turbo for higher altitudes, the answer is no. I have mentioned before that turbo design is critical. Not only size but the vanes of the turbine are IMO extremely important to drive the compressor and H unit. I campaigned very hard to get the Honda/GE jet engine division involved in the turbine design and that is "special". I do believe Honda has a very well designed turbocharger.
Hi @Wazari,

A few years ago, RBR always had an advantage when they had to ride on higher circuits (like Mexico) and it was said that it was because of the Honda Turbo.
In the meantime, another version of the Honda Turbo has been released and my question was therefore whether this Turbo also (still) has an advantage on higher circuits.
Don't forget an advantage is relative to the other PU. The Ferrari and Renault are completely different from say the 2018/2019 PU. So maybe the Honda is still just as good as it was as high altitude, but it could be no longer an advantage due to the other PU being just as good (at high altitude).

I personally don't think high altitude effective PU ever was a thing. If you look at the races at high altitude, it often was also just a race where aero was important. Take Mexico.. long straights so people think it's about the PU. But it really isn't.

Snorked
Snorked

Honda's Asaki mentioned the turbo performance at high alt in 2020, they changed the turbo so it would work better at the majority of tracks that are at lower altitude.

Good recovery from Perez, hopefully he can get both Ferraris tomorrow.

apriandy
apriandy

organic wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 13:05
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mark ... /10334155/
When asked why Verstappen and Red Bull are so strong in Austria, Red Bull advisor Marko revealed Honda's "special turbocharger" works especially well at altitude, with Spielberg's hilly Red Bull Ring sitting at over 600 metres above mean sea level.

"It's the engine," Marko told Red Bull-owned Servus TV. "And Honda has a special turbocharger, which has a small but decisive advantage in the altitude, which is 670 meters there, in about the past few years."
I don't buy what Helmut Marko's lip service about the turbo, the engine just has an awful pace right now.
Last edited by apriandy on 10 Jul 2022, 16:32, edited 2 times in total.

Neuron
Neuron

If Perez was thinking about WDC I bet now it's clear. Two years in a row same dumb move to overtake on the outside and two times the same result. No words.

chrisc90

Neuron wrote:
10 Jul 2022, 17:32
If Perez was thinking about WDC I bet now it's clear. Two years in a row same dumb move to overtake on the outside and two times the same result. No words.
Ultimately It was Perez corner and both incidents were caused by the guy on the inside.
But probably learn for other races.

In all cases it’s been the car on the inside wholly at fault.

Neuron
Neuron

I think it was Norris who was trying to explain - if you are going to overtake somebody through the corner on the outside - you should be aware. Especially if you have gravel on the other side. From Russel's onboard I didn't see anything wrong - he was just driving on the racing line without any moves. Perez had clearly too hot head imo.

TNTHead

RB missing out today mainly because of increased tyre wear it seems. With sprint race format you need to have a near perfect setup right out of the box. The championship doesn't look like a walk in the park, although the FER is fast but fragile.

Sieper

I am a bit torn. For the most part I still have confidence, but Ferrari have been very fast at times.

Sainz really wanted to fight for it, so he must know something is possible this year.

Let’s see how it goes.

Wouter

Today all RB drivers and their coaches are again in Thalgau in the Athlete Performance Center. (Health check)

Last time:

2021:

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Jos and Max Verstappen talk about their journey to the top of Formula 1.
Max and his dad last Monday in Spielberg. English subtitles available.

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

There is no news. We have to wait for the France GP.
In the meantime some articles about Max from his race engineer Gianpiero and Richard Pex, who knows Max his whole live.
Race engineer [Gianpiero Lambiase] praises 'excellent' Verstappen: "He is a gift in that"

Max Verstappen's race engineer Gianpiero Lambiase speaks highly of the Dutchman. He explains, among other things, why Verstappen is so unique and looks back on the highlights he has been able to experience with the world champion so far.
https://racingnews365-nl.translate.goog ... r_pto=wapp
Family friend saw Verstappen dominate at a young age: "I was really amazed"
Today, 10:30

Richard Pex, a good friend of the Verstappen family, saw how Max Verstappen dominated the field in his young karting years and tells beautiful anecdotes about it.
https://racingnews365-nl.translate.goog ... r_pto=wapp
The Power of Dreams!

wogx

Juri Vips’ lingering association with Red Bull appears to have come to an end, according to motorsport advisor Helmut Marko.

Vips was suspended by Red Bull in June following an incident in which the Estonian driver used a racial slur while appearing on a gaming live stream hosted by Liam Lawson.

Marko, Red Bull’s motorsport advisor and head of their junior driver programme, appears to have clarified that Vips has been dropped entirely by Red Bull.

“I want to be clear,” Marko told Austrian broadcaster ORF Tirol, quoted by SportsMole.

“Juri Vips no longer receives any support from Red Bull. You need to be responsible for your actions and as a result, our cooperation has ended.”
https://www.planetf1.com/news/no-red-bu ... juri-vips/
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

Wouter

A nice article to read for the people who don't know this.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/117031/h ... ly-on.html
How Marko played a major role in Verstappen and Horner's lives early on

This month marks the 50th anniversary of Helmut Marko 's promising career as a Formula One driver, which was cut short by a tragic accident in which he lost his left eye. After this, the now 79-year-old Austrian found his calling in management, in which he proved to be very successful. How did Marko reach the top of motorsport after all, and what has he done for the success of Red Bull Racing?
The Power of Dreams!

chrisc90

A lap with Max.

chrisc90