2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
BMMR61

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Mansell89 wrote:
25 Apr 2024, 23:54
Emag wrote:
25 Apr 2024, 22:00
The person who reported the news at sky said the following :

"One or two other significant figures have explained to me that they do believe that Newey's wish would be, if he is to work for another F1 team, that would be with Ferrari."

So yeah, there is almost no chance he comes to McLaren.
But even if there were no rumors about hopping to Ferrari, for the reasons I mentioned I would not expect him to go for McLaren anyway.
If it’s Sky it’s Craig Slater.

He’s about as useful as a chocolate tea pot. One of the few imbeciles on the planet to be as uninformative as David Croft.

Another Sky comedy act who thinks they’re funny.

In F1 the official news usually runs a few months behind the first rumours - it looks 99% certain Aston Martin or Ferrari would be the only destinations other than retirement/holiiday.
And you didn't even mention Ted! Really these guys come out with the most ridiculous stuff though I would say that there's too much smoke about Newey's future to blow it off (pun intended). I'm undecided whether much of this RedBull shenanigans isn't posturing by people trying to gain a lever of some sort. I'm very suspicious of Jos with his track record of trying to undermine Horner though why, other than personal dislike, is beyond me. Maybe he's just not the sharpest tool in the shed because all this seems to be undermining Max's potential to win 5+ consecutive WDCs. With late career shock defections, Sir Lewis really had the choice of retirement or revival with a new endeavour. Adrian is 65 and the personal ambitions aren't so linear and single minded. I think like previous top designers his desire was to spend less time away and to undertake more broadly interesting design challenges. I'm picking he'll stay. All these pundits are beating the drum for more clicks let's be honest.

genarro
genarro

BMMR61 wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 00:51
Mansell89 wrote:
25 Apr 2024, 23:54
Emag wrote:
25 Apr 2024, 22:00
The person who reported the news at sky said the following :

"One or two other significant figures have explained to me that they do believe that Newey's wish would be, if he is to work for another F1 team, that would be with Ferrari."

So yeah, there is almost no chance he comes to McLaren.
But even if there were no rumors about hopping to Ferrari, for the reasons I mentioned I would not expect him to go for McLaren anyway.
If it’s Sky it’s Craig Slater.

He’s about as useful as a chocolate tea pot. One of the few imbeciles on the planet to be as uninformative as David Croft.

Another Sky comedy act who thinks they’re funny.

In F1 the official news usually runs a few months behind the first rumours - it looks 99% certain Aston Martin or Ferrari would be the only destinations other than retirement/holiiday.
And you didn't even mention Ted! Really these guys come out with the most ridiculous stuff though I would say that there's too much smoke about Newey's future to blow it off (pun intended). I'm undecided whether much of this RedBull shenanigans isn't posturing by people trying to gain a lever of some sort. I'm very suspicious of Jos with his track record of trying to undermine Horner though why, other than personal dislike, is beyond me. Maybe he's just not the sharpest tool in the shed because all this seems to be undermining Max's potential to win 5+ consecutive WDCs. With late career shock defections, Sir Lewis really had the choice of retirement or revival with a new endeavour. Adrian is 65 and the personal ambitions aren't so linear and single minded. I think like previous top designers his desire was to spend less time away and to undertake more broadly interesting design challenges. I'm picking he'll stay. All these pundits are beating the drum for more clicks let's be honest.
I cant see Newey to go Ferrari. He will be pushing 70 by the time he will be able to put any input on a Ferrari car (or at least his inputs will be visible) plus he despies politics (Italian politics at Ferrari...) He has desire to do other projects and he mentioned a lot of times that he doesnt want to leave the UK. So Aston looks like the main contender and even there I would imagine he would be invested in other projects than just F1 (endurance racing, special road car projects, etc...)

However i see that we have all the things that Aston or Ferrari can offer. Mclaren now is completely different since Ron's departure and i get the feeling that he has a good relationship with Zak...Long shot but who knows :)

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
25 Apr 2024, 19:19
Never say never on Newey, who knows what might transpire. But you'd think that Ferrari are the bigger lure. Not sure AM can offer anything that we can't.

Whatever happens RB might lose a little of their edge. You'd imagine Newey will take some staff with him.

Seems like an opportunity for Mclaren whatever happens.
AM can offer him a blank cheque and Alonso. Getting either Alonso/AM their title or Ham/Lec/Ferrari has to be a much more interesting than coming back to McLaren.

But who knows - Zak knows his stuff and people don't always go for the shiniest things.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 09:20
mwillems wrote:
Never say never on Newey, who knows what might transpire. But you'd think that Ferrari are the bigger lure. Not sure AM can offer anything that we can't.

Whatever happens RB might lose a little of their edge. You'd imagine Newey will take some staff with him.

AM can offer him a blank cheque and Alonso. Getting either Alonso/AM their title or Ham/Lec/Ferrari has to be a much more interesting than coming back to McLaren.

But who knows - Zak knows his stuff and people don't always go for the shiniest things.
If he doesn't start his new role until 25 then he'll come in halfway through the development of the 26 car, first full car will be 27. I doubt Alonso will be there in 27. Besides, he would also have to work with Lance 😆😆

I'm sure we could offer him anything he wants financially via the group, just like at RB.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

BMMR61

mwillems wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 14:07
FittingMechanics wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 09:20
mwillems wrote:

If he doesn't start his new role until 25 then he'll come in halfway through the development of the 26 car, first full car will be 27. I doubt Alonso will be there in 27. Besides, he would also have to work with Lance 😆😆

I'm sure we could offer him anything he wants financially via the group, just like at RB.
I'm not sure of your reasoning for the new role starting in 2025. At the earliest he will be serving a year of gardening leave next year. I think Newey will likely announce "retirement" so as not to provoke Red Bull invoking contract terms. Any hint of him going to a rival, and Red Bull are likely to prevent an earlier start than 2027.

I don't want to sound like I underestimate Newey's tremendous gift to Red Bull, and every other team he's been with. However single man influence in the design team needs to be moderated, I think his influence is less detail, more design strategy. I agree with Mark Hughes https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/mark ... -personal/
"But it would not be like a light switch being flicked off. Any of the major teams are far too big and strong in depth for the departure of even such a towering talent to have an instant effect."
I'm not one of those McLaren fans beating the drum to move heaven and earth to woo Adrian, the team has a nice balance between good recent signings and internal promotion.

mwillems

He's only contracted to 2025, they can't keep him beyond his contract if it just expires in UK employment law. UK employers used to have clauses in contracts about not joining competitors when you leave, it was long proven unenforceable in court.

organic

mwillems wrote:
27 Apr 2024, 08:48
He's only contracted to 2025, they can't keep him beyond his contract if it just expires in UK employment law. UK employers used to have clauses in contracts about not joining competitors when you leave, it was long proven unenforceable in court.
Gardening leave is the standard for senior personnel in F1

mwillems

organic wrote:
27 Apr 2024, 08:50
mwillems wrote:
If he doesn't hand in any notice, his contract ends in 19 months and he is no longer employed by Red Bull, how can they prevent him finding alternate employment? That would seem very much against the law and his rights.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

organic wrote:
mwillems wrote:
I thought gardening leave applies if the staff leaves before the expiration of his contract? But if you leave once your contract expires you're a free agent?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

BMMR61

Ground Effect wrote:
27 Apr 2024, 13:12
organic wrote:
mwillems wrote:
I thought gardening leave applies if the staff leaves before the expiration of his contract? But if you leave once your contract expires you're a free agent?
My understanding was it's an established F1 practice to protect intellectual property transfer to a competing entity. The passage of 12 months away from a team ensures the team's most current secrets can't be immediately used against it. We'll see. Or will we? He may take the retirement option and look for a much different challenge, having little less to conquer in F1 bar more titles.

Wouter

Lando is celebrating Kingsday in Amsterdam today with Martin Garrix but something went wrong. :(

The Power of Dreams!

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
27 Apr 2024, 13:12
organic wrote:
mwillems wrote:
Having just read about it some more, it misrepresenting facts reporting that his contract ends in 2025. He has a contract to 2026, it can be extended and he will work through 2026 or he will go on gardening leave during 2026. Either way, his contract ends in 2026 at the earliest not 2025 as is being reported.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Why are people discussing Newey's possible departure in this thread?

proteus

LionsHeart wrote:
28 Apr 2024, 08:49
I presume due to hopes and dreams he chooses Mclaren. Not going to happen though.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

proteus wrote:
28 Apr 2024, 08:57
LionsHeart wrote:
28 Apr 2024, 08:49
I presume due to hopes and dreams he chooses Mclaren. Not going to happen though.
He already worked at McLaren. The only option if he wants to stay in Formula 1, but is unhappy with his position at Red Bull, is Ferrari. But if he believes in Honda, and he is already familiar with them, then there is a small chance that he will go to Aston Martin, although Alonso will not stay in F1 for that long. So Ferrari is the most logical option. I see no point in discussing this further.