2024 Miami Grand Prix - Miami Intl. Autodrome, May 03 - 05

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
r85
r85

Re: 2024 Miami Grand Prix - Miami Intl. Autodrome, May 03 - 05

langedweil wrote:
30 Apr 2024, 17:55
organic wrote:
30 Apr 2024, 17:31
The regulations around starting/moving before the lights go out have been changed:

https://i.imgur.com/yVBg8JU.jpeg

Importantly, determining whether a false start has happened is no longer solely done with the transponder. So we hopefully won't have anyone get away with those marginal ones where they clearly moved but not enough to be registered by the transponder
I'm still flabbergasted that a transponder in 2024 is not able to detect the movement ..

It's possible to fool fuel flow sensors, share Gb's of data per lap, clock laps within 1000s of a seconde, but detecting 10cm movement is apparently impossible.
Insane

This video explains it pretty well

organic

dialtone
dialtone

organic wrote:
Ferrari is about to run the whole season with one wing only.

JPower
JPower

dialtone wrote:
02 May 2024, 18:00

I think you'll see more variation after the major update.

organic

PlatinumZealot

Sorry organic. I know it is slim pickings... but.. are you guys really that interested in seeing the same standard low, med. high rear wings when the teams are not even upgrading them? Sad state of affairs these regulations and budget cap.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

organic

PlatinumZealot wrote:
03 May 2024, 04:32
Sorry organic. I know it is slim pickings... but.. are you guys really that interested in seeing the same standard low, med. high rear wings when the teams are not even upgrading them? Sad state of affairs these regulations and budget cap.
I'm not interested personally, but it's a reference for future discussions (eg come qualifying and top speeds are brought up) and besides, others might be interested/unsure what each team will pick

Aston Martin just upgraded their rear wing this weekend by the way :o

I agree that the budget cap makes following cars' changes less interesting because there are simply far fewer, but it does make every change more meaningful: if performance isn't found from some upgrade, that can have knock-on effects for the rest of the year.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

FW17 wrote:
29 Apr 2024, 12:40
BosF1 wrote:
28 Apr 2024, 21:28
organic wrote:
28 Apr 2024, 15:23

I think Miami is the worst track on the calendar now
Fully agree. It just doesn't have any kind of wow-factor in the lay out, no superb corner combinations, nor is it extreme fast like Jeddah, no tight walls like the wall of champions in Montréal or like Monaco overall. Just nothing of it all, which makes it rather dull. Not to mention the painted marina, which is extremely lame.
It is perfect track, I don't see any reason to complain on the layout.
Here’s another vote for Miami track. As long as racing is possible I’m happy. The race last year was pretty cracking. Do people have such bad memories?

Vanja #66

dialtone wrote:
02 May 2024, 18:00
It's a good wing overall to be honest. It's less of a mistake to use it here than Jeddah, since they are also using one-piece beam wing like Jeddah. Few weeks ago I said they should use low level wing in Miami, but I forgot it's a Sprint weekend, so it's quite a big risk if it's not as good. Completely different setups for two different downforce levels.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

DChemTech
DChemTech

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Certainly rather that than a situation where a few rich teams can upgrade their wing every week while the rest has the standard low/med/high rear wings and are not upgrading them.

Vanja #66

PlatinumZealot wrote:
This is how it was for midfield and backmarkers for decades. The grid is condensed, that's positive. On the top, smallest of variations determine the Q results. Unfortunately for fans, McLaren, AM and Merc are not on top of their game as far as tyres are concerned and even Ferrari seem to be just a bit too much on the conservative side. All this means at least first part of the race is eventful, so that's also positive.

If Toto didn't whine about bouncing and forced the TD39 and 23 floor changes, Red Bull wouldn't be so far ahead even last year, let alone this year. And with Vasseur's approach completely outperforming Binotto's, Ferrari would have fought for a lot more wins even last year.

With racing on top better than it is now, no one would care how many upgrades there are.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

DChemTech wrote:
03 May 2024, 09:02
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Certainly rather that than a situation where a few rich teams can upgrade their wing every week while the rest has the standard low/med/high rear wings and are not upgrading them.
And it probably wouldn't make much difference if the richer teams could do that anyways. Clearly if the performance benefits were at all notable, we'd see more variation, but teams are simply finding that spending their CFD/WT/cash resources elsewhere is more profitable.

Maybe it's fair to take issue with how these current regulations have led down a path with a single general 'best solution' and limited scope for doing anything more interesting with this part of the car, but cars simply not having proper new rear wings was never gonna be exciting anyways. Just more variations on a theme.

Waz
Waz

langedweil wrote:
30 Apr 2024, 17:55
organic wrote:
30 Apr 2024, 17:31
The regulations around starting/moving before the lights go out have been changed:

https://i.imgur.com/yVBg8JU.jpeg

Importantly, determining whether a false start has happened is no longer solely done with the transponder. So we hopefully won't have anyone get away with those marginal ones where they clearly moved but not enough to be registered by the transponder
I'm still flabbergasted that a transponder in 2024 is not able to detect the movement ..

It's possible to fool fuel flow sensors, share Gb's of data per lap, clock laps within 1000s of a seconde, but detecting 10cm movement is apparently impossible.
Insane
Remember a couple years back when drivers were getting penalized for even being slightly out of position to the left or right in the start box? The transponder then had to be over a very specific area of the track, or it triggered.

Somehow they went too far the other way after changing that, which must have been to discourage angled cars at the start.

Curious why they couldn't just go back to the previous system used until Bottas's perfect start?

organic

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!