Silly season 2024-2025

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
codetower

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

It looks like Lawrence stroll is looking to sell 25% of the team. This could definitely shake things up in the driver lineup. Maybe Carlos Sainz goes there?

https://beyondtheflag.com/posts/formula ... hwqzv81ta0

chrisc90

https://fb.watch/rPLrK_UuxU/

Max's piece on Adrian and future plans when asked

I think can rule out Max moving from that. He seems happy, and its not about Money for him (rightfully so). He's a sportsman who wants to win

organic

chrisc90 wrote:
02 May 2024, 23:23

I think can rule out Max moving from that. He seems happy, and its not about Money for him (rightfully so). He's a sportsman who wants to win
You can take the quote
as long as the environment is right and we have the fastest car, then it's quite straight forward
Also:
A reporter chimed in asking if £213m (€250m) would be enough to tempt him, but Verstappen was adamant in his response: “250? No. I’m happy with what I’m earning already.

“I know myself, and if I’m driving for P5 or P6, you get quite grumpy with yourself. It’s always about performances at the end of the day, everyone knows that and Toto also knows that.”
He's basically saying Mercedes need to get quicker in order to sign me

CHT
CHT

chrisc90 wrote:
02 May 2024, 23:23

AN succession planning has been going on since 2023 and the RB20 is likely to be the first project done without AN. I remember there was an interview between AN and Ted about RB20 recently and AN was very quick to say that his team of engineers are responsible for taking the aggressive evolution approach.

RB is not a one trick pony, it is a team that is firing in all cylinders right now, so the departure of AN is not going to instantly derail the team trajectory anytime soon. Even if AN join another team (which is unlikely) he will have hard time beating the team he has created.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

CHT wrote:
02 May 2024, 01:24

The official retirement age in the UK is 66 and average life expectancy for man in UK is around 79.
Multi-millionnaires don't tend to worry about their State Pension or bus pass. Just ask Bernie.

And Newey will likely live way past 79, he looks like a very fit and healthy man and has the money to be able to get the very best health and wellbeing input.

If you've read his book, you'll know he likes a challenge and is competitive. He may not stay in F1, he may. But even if he retires from F1, I don't think it will be retirement as you or I think of it!!

Dunlay
Dunlay

James Vowels is in talks with Newey for a Williams opportunity. =D>

May be he can now own part of he team, which he didn't get and that's why he left back in 90s.

Vanja #66

organic wrote:
02 May 2024, 23:29
He's basically saying Mercedes need to get quicker in order to sign me
Video not available anymore, but motorsport got an article it seems

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vers ... /10605973/

Max repeats:

"My future is within Red Bull at the moment."
So he's keeping an open door to leave at some moment, just not now. That's ok. Kudos for declining a non-competitive offer in the end, I guess he assessed the situation thoroughly with his team and understood there are no prerequisites for Mercedes to get back on top any time soon, whatever those requisites may be...

I would have loved to see a full carousel and spice things up for next year, but it is what it is :mrgreen:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

CHT
CHT

PapayaFan481 wrote:
03 May 2024, 10:55
CHT wrote:
02 May 2024, 01:24

The official retirement age in the UK is 66 and average life expectancy for man in UK is around 79.
Multi-millionnaires don't tend to worry about their State Pension or bus pass. Just ask Bernie.

And Newey will likely live way past 79, he looks like a very fit and healthy man and has the money to be able to get the very best health and wellbeing input.

If you've read his book, you'll know he likes a challenge and is competitive. He may not stay in F1, he may. But even if he retires from F1, I don't think it will be retirement as you or I think of it!!
I have read his book and he is very competitive and he doesn't like losing and the best opportunity in F1 to catch rival is during major rule change

All these support my believe that

1) AN will not compete in something he can't win because his age is catching up.

2) Its too late for AN to make any difference for 2026 project if he is not already with a new team.

3) He can't be claiming credit for work done by others

4) He has built a formidable team of people at RBR who is not easy to beat

Bernie is a business owner he pays others to do the job.While AN is still an employee working for salary. that's different kind of work

CHT
CHT

Dunlay wrote:
03 May 2024, 11:03
James Vowels is in talks with Newey for a Williams opportunity. =D>

May be he can now own part of he team, which he didn't get and that's why he left back in 90s.
If AN become team owner that will be great indeed.

organic

Formua Uno report that Horner is lining up a replacement for Perez, with Sainz in pole position. Would protect RB from a possible max exit.
RED BULL CHANGING? HORNER WANTS CARLOS SAINZ TO REPLACE SERGIO PEREZ
The surprise move could be that of Carlos Sainz returning to the 'family' alongside Max Verstappen in the official Red Bull team starting next season
The arrival of Carlos Sainz would thus be a move that would also protect Red Bull in the event of a future separation from the Dutchman
Horner tried to start a negotiation with James Vowles for an exchange between Sergio Perez and Alexander Albon , which didn't end well
A rematch of Sainz Vs Verstappen would certainly be interesting especially with the large amount of data from the sai-lec pairing. Would be Max's strongest teammate since Ricciardo

They say that Monaco is the first deadline
Sainz has not yet responded to Audi because there is concrete interest from Red Bull. Horner sees it as a good option, not least to protect himself in case Max exits his contract in the short term. Around Monte Carlo a first deadline

DGP123
DGP123

Max still comfortably beats Sainz. Leclerc’s drive in a Japan & China showed he’s starting to get back on top of Sainz, who’s reputation has just been enhanced by some early season form, and media recency bias. He’s probably a slight step up on Perez, but he’s not elite.

RB didn’t want Sainz, it’s only the threat of Max leaving, that now makes RB look a tad desperate for cover, in a limited market.

CHT
CHT

I am guessing Max future team make will be Oscar Piastri and trust that Mark Webber will make that happen eventually.

organic

DGP123 wrote:
03 May 2024, 13:14
Max still comfortably beats Sainz. Leclerc’s drive in a Japan & China showed he’s starting to get back on top of Sainz, who’s reputation has just been enhanced by some early season form, and media recency bias. He’s probably a slight step up on Perez, but he’s not elite.

RB didn’t want Sainz, it’s only the threat of Max leaving, that now makes RB look a tad desperate for cover, in a limited market.
Looking at mean gaps between Lec and Sainz I would say he's a significant step up on Perez, not just a slight step up. Outliers are removed

Qualifying gap from Sainz to Lec

2021: +0.113
2022: +0.100
2023: +0.106

Race pace

2021: +0.153
2022: +0.095
2023: +0.051

Sainz is about a tenth slower than Charles but I think we all agree he's less consistent.

Perez on the other hand has been 0.3-0.6s slower than Max in quali and race pace for each of the last 3 seasons. For me I think it's clear Sainz will give him more problems

Vanja #66

Checo's problem are big and long dips in form. Sainz' dips are smaller and shorter and on their best days he likely beats Checo by a small margin. They both tend to make 1-2 big mistakes in a season, so that's equal. Sainz is definitely better overall, it's not even a debate :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

f1isgood
f1isgood

organic wrote:
03 May 2024, 13:23
DGP123 wrote:
03 May 2024, 13:14

Looking at mean gaps between Lec and Sainz I would say he's a significant step up on Perez, not just a slight step up. Outliers are removed

Qualifying gap from Sainz to Lec

2021: +0.113
2022: +0.100
2023: +0.106

Race pace

2021: +0.153
2022: +0.095
2023: +0.051

Sainz is about a tenth slower than Charles but I think we all agree he's less consistent.

Perez on the other hand has been 0.3-0.6s slower than Max in quali and race pace for each of the last 3 seasons. For me I think it's clear Sainz will give him more problems
Sainz and Leclerc are more comparable since they run in traffic mostly. Perez is in traffic and Max is in free air for the most part.

The realistic gap is around 2 to 3 tenths mostly exaggerated by Perez being a generally bad qualifier in the type of cars Red Bull makes.

Sainz is a tiny bit quicker than Perez - at best a tenth but not more.

I personally think most of the top 10 drivers are within 3 tenths of each other. Some much more consistent however at replicating performance.