Adrian Newey Leaves Red Bull Racing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
CHT
CHT

Re: Adrian Newey Leaves Red Bull Racing

organic wrote:
02 May 2024, 23:04
I don't think Newey can sit there and twiddle his thumbs doing nothing. He mentioned in a recent podcast that the Rb17 came about because he was bored and started sketching things over the winter break and it took shape from there.. he just needs to be doing something I think

Ferrari is his obvious destination. Talking about retirement from his side is a negotiation tactic
Retirement from F1 doesnt mean sitting there and twiddle. There are many racers and engineers retired from F1 at younger age and they are still active in motorsport or lead a fulfilling life.

e.g AN has got a yacht project, road car project, health to take care, family time to catch up, driving race car, write his second autobiography, perhaps even embark on business venture like Gordon Murray to start his new line of AN road cars.

There are really so much things in life outside F1, and If AN doesnt break away from it, his mind will forever be stuck at work. As EJ has pointed out about pressure in F1, and how every single race is a big pressure especially for a competitive person like AN. All that suggest to me that AN is getting too old to keep up with demand of modern F1 operation, especially with 24 races reason. Which mean 24 out of 52 weekend a year he is required to be at work.

AN will be near his 70s in a couple of years and the process of aging is irreversible and non negotiable.
If AN wish to join a new F1 team say at 68 or 69, what will be his objective?

To keep himself busy because of boredom? (why not RB?)
To win a few more championship? (why not RB?)
Is he too late to catch the opportunity for 2026 major rule change?
How much runway does he need before winning another championship with a new team against his own mighty RB?
What if he failed to deliver and retired without another championship?
(That will be a anti-climax ending to his otherwise fantastic career)

For F1 fans, AN is a part of the circus and entertainment, but for AN and his family, time in F1 is personal and health sacrifice. So I am going to lean towards what EJ say that AN is taking a break from pressure in F1.

CHT
CHT

LM10 wrote:
03 May 2024, 00:12
Newey's departure the confirmation of things not going well. Regardless of the Horner saga he obviously does not want to work on which would be the RB22 under the new regulations. This could drag Red Bull down to being a midfield team come 2026. No, not only because of Newey leaving, but because of the overall impact this move could have on the team such as other important people packing their bags, too.
I believe RB and AN has already decided he is not going to be involve in the 2026 regulation project from the time AN extended his contract in 2023 because it is odd for contract to end in 2025 if there was intention for him to continue past 2026, which is the most crucial and demanding year for the team.

RB is the most well run team on F1 at the moment, from the design team, budget management, pit stop, race strategy, drivers, marketings, etc, they are ticking all that boxes. So it is impossible that this multi billion dollar company to not have succession plan for AN after 18 years working together.

CHT
CHT

myurr wrote:
02 May 2024, 19:50
CHT wrote:
02 May 2024, 16:10
Watto wrote:
02 May 2024, 14:04

At around the 3:00 mark EJ says his lips are sealed with a bit of convo saying before that he’s not going to say what his advice would be.

After some banter between DC and EJ over conflict of interest etc. DC says around the 3:40 mark taking their relationship aside and discussing it as any other situation- a driver etc would the move happen. From there EJ is talking like it’s hypothetical like anyone else in the paddock. I suppose you could read into it as EJs leak. But they did say it was taking any relationship aside
From the moment DC asked about AN going to Ferrari EJ start by reminding his audience that AN has spent a great many years working on high pressured job in F1 since before RB and he certainly deserves a break..EJ even went on to say he doubt he has spoked to anyone or even questiok is he will ever do that due to age.

These are all consistent with someone planning for retirement not someone looking for something more challenging in life.

EJ may know what AN may be doing but it's certainly doesnt sound like he is joining another F1 team..

I could be wrong but we will see..At least I was right when I said back in 2023 that AN will not be involve in 2026 car
Is it EJ's job to stoke speculation and rumour, to increase media pressure and interest in Newey? Or is it his job to minimise all of that whilst quietly going about negotiating with whichever team Newey wishes to hear from?

It's been widely circulated that Newey has met with Ferrari. If it was a done deal that he was retiring then why would he meet with them?

I wouldn't be surprised if Newey did retire. But equally I think it more likely he spends at least a few years at Ferrari in whatever capacity suits him.
Adrian Newey has met Ferrari?

Thats perhaps the worst piece of fake news that has been circulating around online.
Some even claim that Ferrari will make announcement after Miami.

Watto
Watto

CHT wrote:
Watto wrote:
CHT wrote:
02 May 2024, 13:04

You are reading messages which my brain isn't picking up. When they EJ say they are going down a PURELY hypothetical conversation?
At around the 3:00 mark EJ says his lips are sealed with a bit of convo saying before that he’s not going to say what his advice would be.

After some banter between DC and EJ over conflict of interest etc. DC says around the 3:40 mark taking their relationship aside and discussing it as any other situation- a driver etc would the move happen. From there EJ is talking like it’s hypothetical like anyone else in the paddock. I suppose you could read into it as EJs leak. But they did say it was taking any relationship aside
From the moment DC asked about AN going to Ferrari EJ start by reminding his audience that AN has spent a great many years working on high pressured job in F1 since before RB and he certainly deserves a break..EJ even went on to say he doubt he has spoked to anyone or even question is he will ever do that due to age.

These are all consistent with someone planning for retirement not someone looking for something more challenging in life.

EJ may know what AN may be doing but it's certainly doesn't sound like he is joining another F1 team..

I could be wrong but we will see..At least I was right when I said back in 2023 that AN will not be involve in 2026 car

But its also probably pretty common with anyone at that age, Look at Jeremy Clarkson of the same age as AN walking away from the Grand Tour. He's been doing car shows about as long as AN has been designing cars, the workload had become big and hes turned to something else or needed a change I guess that is on his farm now. But that aside. see how a pretty similar lines can be drawn without knowing what AN is planning. Clarkson really build Top Gear to what it was along with May and Hamond. In a sense that could be a good lead into the next life challenges (Clarksons Farm).

Retirement is probably the common sense thing for him to do. It may well be what he eventually does decide to do. I wouldn't be the least but surprised if he does go down this path. But you could easily read it as a generic statement as per Clarkson a long long time doing the same thing goes he really want to continue just because Clarkson in this case didn't doesn't mean Newey won't

But if you make me pick a side - and sure this is hedging your bets a little - I think AN ends up at Ferrari under his terms.The freedom he had at RB, much as possible/ The part of it I would maybe be cautious from AN pov is can they keep themselves stable I almost wonder if EJ gives the hint of the instability as being an issue. If things go pear shaped and either the conditions aren't really what AN though ht was getting himself into or the car under performs maybe he walks away.

To an extent there is a case of where there is smoke there is fire - maybe not that he will go there but I think he is at the very least open to the idea.

CHT
CHT

Watto wrote:
03 May 2024, 01:29
CHT wrote:
Watto wrote:

From the moment DC asked about AN going to Ferrari EJ start by reminding his audience that AN has spent a great many years working on high pressured job in F1 since before RB and he certainly deserves a break..EJ even went on to say he doubt he has spoked to anyone or even question is he will ever do that due to age.

EJ may know what AN may be doing but it's certainly doesn't sound like he is joining another F1 team..

But its also probably pretty common with anyone at that age, Look at Jeremy Clarkson of the same age as AN walking away from the Grand Tour. He's been doing car shows about as long as AN has been designing cars, the workload had become big and hes turned to something else or needed a change I guess that is on his farm now. But that aside. see how a pretty similar lines can be drawn without knowing what AN is planning. Clarkson really build Top Gear to what it was along with May and Hamond. In a sense that could be a good lead into the next life challenges (Clarksons Farm).

Retirement is probably the common sense thing for him to do. It may well be what he eventually does decide to do. I wouldn't be the least but surprised if he does go down this path. But you could easily read it as a generic statement as per Clarkson a long long time doing the same thing goes he really want to continue just because Clarkson in this case didn't doesn't mean Newey won't

But if you make me pick a side - and sure this is hedging your bets a little - I think AN ends up at Ferrari under his terms.The freedom he had at RB, much as possible/ The part of it I would maybe be cautious from AN pov is can they keep themselves stable I almost wonder if EJ gives the hint of the instability as being an issue. If things go pear shaped and either the conditions aren't really what AN though ht was getting himself into or the car under performs maybe he walks away.

To an extent there is a case of where there is smoke there is fire - maybe not that he will go there but I think he is at the very least open to the idea.
Fake smoke doesnt catch fire

CHT
CHT

"Adrian has been extremely important to Red Bull's success, but over time his role has changed a bit."
"Of course I would have preferred him to stay but I also really trust that the technical team that we have apart from Adrian is very, very strong and they have demonstrated that in recent years with the competitiveness of the car."
“So from the outside it seems very dramatic, but when you actually know what's going on within the team, it's not as dramatic as it seems. - Max

This is why I say Max is smart and this give the team the confidence to move forward without AN. On the other hand, LH was talking about how fantastic it will be for AN to join him at Ferrari, which indirectly is undermining Ferrari current technical team.

Watto
Watto

myurr wrote:
02 May 2024, 19:50
CHT wrote:
Watto wrote:

From the moment DC asked about AN going to Ferrari EJ start by reminding his audience that AN has spent a great many years working on high pressured job in F1 since before RB and he certainly deserves a break..EJ even went on to say he doubt he has spoked to anyone or even questiok is he will ever do that due to age.

EJ may know what AN may be doing but it's certainly doesnt sound like he is joining another F1 team..

Is it EJ's job to stoke speculation and rumour, to increase media pressure and interest in Newey? Or is it his job to minimize all of that whilst quietly going about negotiating with whichever team Newey wishes to hear from?

It's been widely circulated that Newey has met with Ferrari. If it was a done deal that he was retiring then why would he meet with them?

I wouldn't be surprised if Newey did retire. But equally I think it more likely he spends at least a few years at Ferrari in whatever capacity suits him.
Agree here. At the very least I think Adrian is at least considering the Ferarri move. I would lean towards him going there on his terms. IF Ferarri can't offer that, or if he turns up starts working and find things aren't as he thought, he walks away. I wouldn't be surprised at either or even he spends the next few months being able to relax and do nothing.
CHT wrote:
03 May 2024, 01:37
Watto wrote:
03 May 2024, 01:29
CHT wrote:

Fake smoke doesnt catch fire
Enough different publications have gone on the Ferrari rumor including the Italian press in recent times (some of which have a decent track record) Most likely those leaks have come from Ferrari. The same sources that said he was going are also pointing at meeting/discussing with Ferrari I think on that you have to say at the very least AN is open to the idea. Including a recent meeting in London etc.

That could all fall over. AN may consider it and just say enough is enough but I think're you're kidding yourself if you don't think its very possible now.

There were rumors months ago Ferrari were chasing him I doubted it then based on if AN would fit in there. I think in that light if AN was to move - it would be on his terms, As has been pointed out AN does not need the money its if he wants to go around again he is the only one that can make that call. And maybe even he doesn't know the answer to that yet.

CHT
CHT

Max joining Merc, Marko joining Merc, AN going to AM, AN going to Ferrari, AN going back to Mclaren, AN has fallout with CH etc are all sensation news for click baiting. None of that stuff is real.

dialtone
dialtone

With active suspensions and active aero coming into play in 2026 Adrian is basically the only one that has built a winning car under those conditions. Nobody better than him to have on your team and he knows that. He's going to be in F1 in 2025+ and spend 2024 doing whatever he wants and taking that break.

Watto
Watto

CHT wrote:
03 May 2024, 03:23
Max joining Merc, Marko joining Merc, AN going to AM, AN going to Ferrari, AN going back to Mclaren, AN has fallout with CH etc are all sensation news for click baiting. None of that stuff is real.
And a mere few weeks ago any talk of Newey walking was sensationalist news too.

CHT
CHT

Watto wrote:
03 May 2024, 08:32
CHT wrote:
03 May 2024, 03:23
And a mere few weeks ago any talk of Newey walking was sensationalist news too.
When AN sign a contract extension in 2023 for 2 years, the writing is already on the wall that AN tenure at RBR will be coming to an end in 2025. If AN was needed for 2026 project, RBR would have signed a 4 to 5 years contract to him at RB till his 70s.

When AN admitted to have very little involvement in RB20 project this is also consistent with AN winding down on his role in RB to focus on RB17 road car.

In case we have forgotten, CH saga didnt happen till Jan/Feb 2024, and of course everything now is linked to CH and while AN still acknowledge CH as his business partner and family friend.

f1isgood
f1isgood

He will go to Ferrari, his wife doesn't like others being credited and likes the prospect of him going to Maranello. I think she's also a factor and that he will go to Maranello for one last glory.

Bill
Bill

when Renault pu was bad Newey left to go and play with boats .redbull have leant that they can survive without him,no one man design the car alone he is not even technical director. The next generation car will be heavily pu dependent that should be red bull worry

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

CHT wrote:
03 May 2024, 02:52
"Adrian has been extremely important to Red Bull's success, but over time his role has changed a bit."
"Of course I would have preferred him to stay but I also really trust that the technical team that we have apart from Adrian is very, very strong and they have demonstrated that in recent years with the competitiveness of the car."
“So from the outside it seems very dramatic, but when you actually know what's going on within the team, it's not as dramatic as it seems. - Max

This is why I say Max is smart and this give the team the confidence to move forward without AN. On the other hand, LH was talking about how fantastic it will be for AN to join him at Ferrari, which indirectly is undermining Ferrari current technical team.
It's not doing anything of the sort. Ferrari have been chasing Newey for years, and they might finally succeed in getting him. John Elkann has been making big moves behind the scenes to get Ferrari back to winning. He bent over backwards to give Lewis the things Mercedes wouldn't give him. They'll do the same with Newey if that's where he's headed. Newey's experience with ground effect and suspension knowledge is the foundation for Red Bull's current dominance. The technical team is something he built, without Newey Red Bull wouldn't be as good as they are. The challenge for Horner is to keep that technical group together. Ferrari are interested in getting Wache, getting Newey on board could open that door.

The real issue for Red Bull is the Power Unit. If Max were to leave for Mercedes, that might be an indication the Red Bull PU project is way behind the rest.

CHT
CHT

taperoo2k wrote:
03 May 2024, 12:30
CHT wrote:
03 May 2024, 02:52

It's not doing anything of the sort. Ferrari have been chasing Newey for years, and they might finally succeed in getting him. John Elkann has been making big moves behind the scenes to get Ferrari back to winning. He bent over backwards to give Lewis the things Mercedes wouldn't give him. They'll do the same with Newey if that's where he's headed. Newey's experience with ground effect and suspension knowledge is the foundation for Red Bull's current dominance. The technical team is something he built, without Newey Red Bull wouldn't be as good as they are. The challenge for Horner is to keep that technical group together. Ferrari are interested in getting Wache, getting Newey on board could open that door.

The real issue for Red Bull is the Power Unit. If Max were to leave for Mercedes, that might be an indication the Red Bull PU project is way behind the rest.
If there is any chance of Ferrari getting AN to move to Italy, it must have already been a done deal, just like Ferrari signing LH. For LH to openly endorsing AN that may not be the wisest thing to do. Almost like openly complimenting on other women, before wedding day