2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Ant at the skypad said poor rear grip in the high speed, understeer in the low; not a great deal appears to have changed.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Venturiation
Venturiation

2026 engine won't change things
Mclaren has the same engine now and see where they are

j_ste
j_ste

214270 wrote:
03 May 2024, 23:09
Ant at the skypad said poor rear grip in the high speed, understeer in the low; not a great deal appears to have changed.
When he said it finally feels like a car in pre season, you knew it was over. The faintest of praise was taken for something substantial.

Matt2725
Matt2725

I can only assume it's their wind tunnel/CFD software. They must be following false data.

Venturiation
Venturiation

F1NAC

Yikes. That camera view says it all.

As we would say nowadays in my Country, "Toto vrime je!".

Vanja #66

I'm not gonna even point out the obvious any more, this is just too sad... Neither Russell nor Hamilton deserve this. Not even launch SF23 was this bad a year ago
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

venkyhere
venkyhere

I don't even remember how many times I've posted in this thread itself :

"The only fix for Mercedes is to accept that they are a midfield team now. Shed the engine supplier ego, shed the 8 constructors champion ego. Their perspective about "what to fix, what to leave alone" will change, because they will go from "want podium" to "want points". They will "invest" into revamping their now defunct tools and they will change the benchmark laptime that they reference to, before each race, both in simulator and during FPs"

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

SchuMassa wrote:
03 May 2024, 21:38
Luscion wrote:
03 May 2024, 21:21
Hopefully, the FIA will stick to their own regulations.
He's got way more experience in single seaters than Max ever had. Or, indeed, Kimi Raikkonen.

Or is that inconvenient?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Cs98
Cs98

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 May 2024, 00:14
SchuMassa wrote:
Luscion wrote:
03 May 2024, 21:21
He's got way more experience in single seaters than Max ever had. Or, indeed, Kimi Raikkonen.

Or is that inconvenient?
It doesn't make much sense to give him dispensation when the rules were changed to specifically prevent people below 18 from joining.

j_ste wrote:
03 May 2024, 23:21
214270 wrote:
03 May 2024, 23:09
When he said it finally feels like a car in pre season, you knew it was over. The faintest of praise was taken for something substantial.
In fairness, Ant’s perspective is the feel from Sim. He then observed a lap in preseason where it genuinely looked good out on track; if my memory is correct it was also running super low at the time. That may be part of the problem here.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Cs98 wrote:
04 May 2024, 00:18
Just_a_fan wrote:
SchuMassa wrote:

Or is that inconvenient?
It doesn't make much sense to give him dispensation when the rules were changed to specifically prevent people below 18 from joining.
Convenient rule changes aren't always the right rule changes. If the current triple world champion was allowed to do F1 after almost no single seater experience then there's little valid argument preventing others from doing the same.

"He's a kid and so can't be any good!"
"Yeah, but Max..."

Frankly, if it was me then Max and several others would have had to wait - F1 should be a grown up sport. Wait until they are early 20s before letting them in.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zibby43
zibby43

Just_a_fan wrote:
02 May 2024, 11:36
zibby43 wrote:
02 May 2024, 07:20
Just_a_fan wrote:
02 May 2024, 01:51

Someone has bought into the "driver outperforms his car" idea.

No point paying $100m for a driver if the car is not good enough. The Red Bull is half a second or more quicker than the rest - that's simple physics. No driver can go faster than the car is able to go, doesn't matter who it is. All the best drivers do is get closer to the car's pace and they do it consistently.

Max in the Merc isn't winning titles.
He's probably winning races though with a step similar to what McLaren made in Austria last year.

You don't have to dig too deep to put a dent in the "driver doesn't make a difference" theory by looking what Max Verstappen is doing to Sergio Perez on a routine basis in the same car.

Or what Hamilton did to Bottas over a race distance. Both Bottas and Perez are multiple-GP winners to boot.
Max is better than Sergio, Hamilton is better than Bottas is not shocking news. Some drivers are better than others. But no driver can go faster than the car is physically able to go is my point. If the Merc is still half a second slower than the competition then it's half a second slower than the competition.
I agree with that. I think another way to frame what I said would be, in equal machinery I think Max is clearly faster than George and whatever this burned out version of LH is.

Dunlay
Dunlay

zibby43 wrote:
04 May 2024, 03:44
Just_a_fan wrote:
02 May 2024, 11:36
zibby43 wrote:
02 May 2024, 07:20

He's probably winning races though with a step similar to what McLaren made in Austria last year.

You don't have to dig too deep to put a dent in the "driver doesn't make a difference" theory by looking what Max Verstappen is doing to Sergio Perez on a routine basis in the same car.

Or what Hamilton did to Bottas over a race distance. Both Bottas and Perez are multiple-GP winners to boot.
Max is better than Sergio, Hamilton is better than Bottas is not shocking news. Some drivers are better than others. But no driver can go faster than the car is physically able to go is my point. If the Merc is still half a second slower than the competition then it's half a second slower than the competition.
I agree with that. I think another way to frame what I said would be, in equal machinery I think Max is clearly faster than George and whatever this burned out version of LH is.
I said this earlier in the thread and I say it again. Comparing Max in his ultra fast Red Bull with George in an unpredictable, third rate Mercedes is hardly wisdom. I have no doubt that Max would struggle in the current Mercedes as much as George and Lewis if not more. Might even be crashing harder than both of them. George would be doing same records as Max in that Red Bull. So until they are in the same equipment, you never know who is better than who.

zeroday

Cs98 wrote:
04 May 2024, 00:18
Just_a_fan wrote:
SchuMassa wrote:

Or is that inconvenient?
FIA is consistently inconsistent. So, there is a very good chance Kimi gets in, especially if one were to look at FIA breaking their own rules many times for the past several years, albeit, almost all benefiting RB. Congratz, to Kimi! Logan had confidence issues despite many chances & a few years, and so had to go.