Bahrain GP 2009 - BIC

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ISLAMATRON

Re: Bahrain GP 2009

PNSD wrote:I was supprised to hear Norbet say he wanted a standard KERS.

Mercedes clearly has the best package for KERS. Best engine and best KERS. Why would he want to lose his addvantage?

A good race today, Jenson drove perfectly in a car that looked to never really be perfectly suited to the track. Even the on track cameras you could see him understeering here and there. Great race, and this was a must win going into Europe with the prospect of the others catching up.

What is crucial now is for Brawn to get that one lap pace!
I'm not sure he said he wanted standard KERS... I think he was saying that if they were to make KERS a spec/standard part then they want to be the supplier, thus making them money on their investment.

Brawn 1 lap pace is fine(MAYBE ALLWAYS NOT AS fast as RBR), its just that Toyota qualed on rediculously low fuel and comprimised their race strategy for it... I'm sure Brawn would trade the pole for the win anytime.

timbo
timbo

ISLAMATRON wrote:I'm sure Brawn would trade the pole for the win anytime.
This reminds me of 2002, 2004, MS was not too often on pole.

PNSD
PNSD

timbo wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:I'm sure Brawn would trade the pole for the win anytime.
This reminds me of 2002, 2004, MS was not too often on pole.
He was on pole quite alot actually in 2004, if not him then Rubens was.

San Marino, Canada, Silverstone, Spa and I think France come to mind as races where at Ferrari was no pole. Other than that though, well...

2002 was slightly different I guess. That Williams was awesome on low-fuel and over one lap. The michelins really came into their own during qualifying.

Giblet
Giblet

Sounds logical to me, even for a non Bavarian.

Some teams want to have KERS and other green tech so at least the F1 effort appears to have some momentum towards efficiency.

Companies want to be progressive, not dinosauric :)
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

NormanBates

as I said, I think kers is fun as long as some teams use it and other don't (either because they didn't spend the money to develop it, or because it causes them too much trouble with weight distribution)

having said that, I also think it was a mistake to introduce it this year: it's a new thing, completely different from what f1 people are used to, and therefore it's been horribly expensive to develop

I agree that f1 should get greener, but not really because of "green" itself, but because I think the developments in f1 should be useful for standard cars in some way

my proposal, instead of kers, would have been to use smaller engines (someone said v6 twin turbo, I'm fine with that for starters) and, if you want to be green, limits on fuel tank capacities, or on the height where they can be in the car, or something else that makes fuel consumption really important

now, with kers already in use, I guess the best option would be to keep it, and standardinzing it seems an awfully bad idea (all the teams that developed theirs, except the one that gets standardized, would be pretty pissed off); maybe they can set a specific budget cap for kers development, and in exchange lift the current performance limits (which have the negative side effect of rendering the performance of the energy recovery system nearly irrelevant)

(sorry, I know that got waaaay too long)

Moanlower

Once again Fernando had an extra battle with a defect drinking pump in this heat for the entire race.

Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

ISLAMATRON

NormanBates wrote:I also think it was a mistake to introduce it this year: it's a new thing, completely different from what f1 people are used to, and therefore it's been horribly expensive to develop

I agree that f1 should get greener, but not really because of "green" itself, but because I think the developments in f1 should be useful for standard cars in some way

my proposal, instead of kers, would have been to use smaller engines (someone said v6 twin turbo, I'm fine with that for starters) and, if you want to be green, limits on fuel tank capacities, or on the height where they can be in the car, or something else that makes fuel consumption really important

now, with kers already in use, I guess the best option would be to keep it, and standardinzing it seems an awfully bad idea (all the teams that developed theirs, except the one that gets standardized, would be pretty pissed off); maybe they can set a specific budget cap for kers development, and in exchange lift the current performance limits (which have the negative side effect of rendering the performance of the energy recovery system nearly irrelevant)
So you think KERS costs more than developing a whole new engine? Renaul/Ferrari/RBR & STR shared the costs of deveolping the Magnetti KERS system, would they have done that for the new engine? It really isnt that expensive... stop listening to silly Flav.
Ferrari & Mercedes spent more each to get 35hp when the engines were supposed to be frozen(with a rev limit) then what they have spent for 80hp of KERS.
KERS is nearly irreleant this year because the leading(Ferrari & McLaren) wanted it like that... they didnt want a team to come up with a really trick system and overtake their dominence... little did they know that it would be Diffussers that did them in, and KERS being their only advantage.

timbo
timbo

ISLAMATRON wrote: Ferrari & Mercedes spent more each to get 35hp when the engines were supposed to be frozen(with a rev limit) then what they have spent for 80hp of KERS.
You know exact numbers?

2Moanlower - ouch, poor Alonso! Great job finishing in points in such conditions!

ISLAMATRON

timbo wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote: Ferrari & Mercedes spent more each to get 35hp when the engines were supposed to be frozen(with a rev limit) then what they have spent for 80hp of KERS.
You know exact numbers?

2Moanlower - ouch, poor Alonso! Great job finishing in points in such conditions!
Only what has been hinted at in the press... about 50 mil for Ferrari's engine upgrades last year, and about 30 mil for BMW's KERS system.

Alonso looks like ---... Maybe Bahrain should be night race like speedTV suggested, would be much cooler.

The FOZ
The FOZ

Wow...that would have been a brutal race for 'Nando.

--- happens...but in his position I'd be furious!

NormanBates

Moanlower wrote:Once again Fernando had an extra battle with a defect drinking pump in this heat for the entire race.
OMG what a sight

being Spaniard and alonso fan, I now change my conclusion for today's race from "disapointing" to "another one that doesn't count"

NormanBates

I understand what you are saying, and concede that you have a point there, but I think you also have to take into account the economic climate if you want to compare figures from this year with figures from a couple of years back

ISLAMATRON

NormanBates wrote:
I understand what you are saying, and concede that you have a point there, but I think you also have to take into account the economic climate if you want to compare figures from this year with figures from a couple of years back
It was last year(season) they spent that money to improve their frozen engines... not even a couple years back. A lot of the money they spent for KERS was last year as well, to get it ready for this season.

Conceptual
Conceptual

I think that keeping the current v8 spec, but dropping it to 15krpm but uncorking KERS/HERS would be the way forward. Especially if it brought in AWD systems.

Unfortunately, you couldn't get away from TC/ABS effects without restricting it into unusability, but if it used F1 to push road car greenery, then I'm all for it... Especially when we will end up with 1200HP (equivalent) cars again!

Nando looks like he needs an IV. I'm surprised that he wasn't immediately plugged in being in that condition. Good thing that there is two weeks till Spain, because Nando looks like he needs some recovery time!

nae
nae

Moanlower wrote:Once again Fernando had an extra battle with a defect drinking pump in this heat for the entire race.

wow looks like kimi on a friday night

played FA
..?