Superchargers or turbochargers?

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Belatti
Belatti

VW laucnhed a 1.4L Golf with the following:

- Supercharger with magnetic coupling (for low RPM´s) that "turns off" when RPM gets higher and Turbo Lag dissapears
- and a Turbocharger, designed for high RPM´s.

I would prefer VGT!
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

enkidu
enkidu

Dunno my turbo is only small so it runs out of poke at 6500rpm.... But pulls from 2000 rpm... From all the graphs i've seen it seems like a supercharger gives alot less torque than a turbo. (On a 2.0L 4 banger) But a smoother graph.... So its up to the driver really....

Belatti
Belatti

The new engine is the world’s first application of a twincharged FSI powerplant and it also holds the title of delivering the highest output per liter for a production four-cylinder engine. Peak output stands at 168hp (125kW) with maximum torque of 240Nm (177lb-ft) plateauing from a lowly 1,750rpm to 4,500rpm. Remember, this is a 1.4L petrol powered engine but with the low torque characteristics and fuel efficiency of a diesel.

The key to its prowess is the combination of a mechanically driven supercharger for the lower revs with an exhaust driven turbocharger kicking in as revs start to rise. To boost output further, engineers also added a revised version of VW’s FSI direct-injection technology. The end result is the power characteristics of a 2.3L engine but with 20% lower fuel consumption.
The crankshaft driven supercharger kicks in immediately, delivering boost pressure of 1.8bar just above idle and providing plenty of shove off the line. Depending on how much power is required, an electromagnetic clutch integrated with the coolant pump decides when to switch from the supercharger to the turbo. This happens somewhere around the 3,500rpm mark, and reverses if engine speeds drops back to the lower regions. Not surprisingly, there’s a constant 200Nm (148lb-ft) of torque available from 1,250rpm that’s still hanging around at 6,000 revs.
read more at:
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/hatc ... #more-3136
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna