Toyota TF109

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Re: Toyota TF109 Rollout

Maybes its the only way Toyota will win a race, slice the opposistions tyres so they have to pit for new rubber.

Im trying to see if i can get a Ferarri F60 Vs F2008 side on shot to look at the wheel base thing.

McLaren MP/4-24 tomorrow, so more side by side shots them hopefully.

Scotracer
Scotracer

ESPImperium wrote:Maybes its the only way Toyota will win a race, slice the opposistions tyres so they have to pit for new rubber.

Im trying to see if i can get a Ferarri F60 Vs F2008 side on shot to look at the wheel base thing.

McLaren MP/4-24 tomorrow, so more side by side shots them hopefully.

I made it yesterday ;)
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

xpensive
xpensive

When John Howett hinted that Toyota's future in F1 was dependent on a win this year, I guess this is the last of a loong line of veery expensive automotive engineering?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

machin

Conceptual wrote: They better get some mirrors mounted on their sidepod shields to legitimize them, because I don't understand how that isnt considered furniture...
They're perfectly legitimate.. altho must admit I missed the rule on this area until the Ferrari came out and I went back and re-read them... the teams have an area at the front of the side pods that doesn't need to follow the 75mm radius rule (this is basically in there to allow for the side pod inlets), -so I think we'll see all cars with "furniture" in this area... the same rule allows the cars to feature small turning vanes infront of the pods...
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Astro1
Astro1

Looks exactly like a 2002 Arrows.

axle
axle

TF109 Technical Specifications
Monocoque construction: Moulded carbon fibre and honeycomb construction
Fuel tank: ATL safety cell
Suspension: Carbon fibre double wishbone arrangement, with carbon fibre trackrod and pushrod
Dampers: Penske
Wheels: BBS forged magnesium
Tyres: Bridgestone Potenza
Brakes: Toyota/Brembo callipers, Brembo master cylinders, Hitco material (carbon/carbon)
Steering: Toyota power-assisted steering. Toyota carbon fibre steering wheel with Toyota / Magneti Marelli instruments
Driver's seat: Carbon fibre
Restraints: Takata
HANS device: Hubbard-Downing
Electronics: Toyota, Magneti Marelli plus McLaren Electronics Systems ECU (as required by FIA rules)
Transmission: 7-speed unit plus reverse
Overall length: 4636mm
Overall height: 950mm
Overall width: 1800mm
Overall weight: 605kg including driver and camera

RVX-09 Technical Specifications
Cylinders: 8
Capacity: 2,398cc
Horsepower: Approximately 740bhp
Revolutions: Maximum 18,000rpm (as required by FIA rules)
Valve actuation: Pneumatic
Throttle actuation: Hydraulic
Spark Plugs: DENSO
Fuel: Esso
Lubricants: Esso
- Axle

majicmeow
majicmeow

I find it funny that in the "TF109 build" video, the video actually starts out with a TF108.

Around the 58second mark, they "switch" it with a TF109 to finish it off.

hehe, sneaky buggers ;)

donskar
donskar

Scarbs, thank you for your usual excellent post. Your input is one of the reasons this is my favorite site. You wrote:
The KERS story is well publicised, the car will initially race without its electrical battery storage system. What was a surprise was that Luca Marmorini has left the team.
I work for Toyota (but root for Ferrari), so I would like to point out that Toyota has been selling hybrids for over 10 years -- yet their KERS is not ready for F1 prime time. That makes me wonder just how applicable F1-style KERS is to production cars -- I think not.

Marmorini is a highly skilled engine guy. I think he left Ferrari for more $ and more responsibility because he was stuck behind Gilles Simon at Ferrari. I hope he returns to Ferrari and that some day engines will once again become an important element in F1. Where he turns up might tell us something about the future shape of F1. (Or not!) :?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Metar

donskar wrote:I work for Toyota (but root for Ferrari), so I would like to point out that Toyota has been selling hybrids for over 10 years -- yet their KERS is not ready for F1 prime time. That makes me wonder just how applicable F1-style KERS is to production cars -- I think not.
Back when they published the news about a delayed KERS system, they said that the reason was the Prius: As a car synonymous with hybrid power, they couldn't afford any bad publicity about the safety of their KERS systems, and that their extra precautions have cost them precious time.

I think that because the type of KERS in F1 is so radically different to what was used in hybrid cars so far, Toyota's knowledge hasn't helped them. At the same time, I think that this KERS system will go the other way around: It might be road-applicable in the future.

roost89
roost89

It seems that the Toyota already has some changes to the front wing! It also appear to be running a KERS unit (the warning sticker is on)
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

FLC
FLC

and an anvil wing...

xpensive
xpensive

Am I alone with the opinion that Max should try to find a way to outlaw goulish tail-fins such as on the Toyota?

Steven
Owner

xpensive wrote:Am I alone with the opinion that Max should try to find a way to outlaw goulish tail-fins such as on the Toyota?
Yes :D
Anyway, I think shark fins are fine, they're a pretty simple thing and allow for more sponsorship area, which the teams are welcome to have.

roost89
roost89

Totally didn't notice and shark fin! Must still be used to them from last year :lol:
I quite like the shark-fin too, to me, it makes them look faster
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

xpensive
xpensive

Right, and the side-grills on the 1985 Ferrari Testarossa are quite tasteful...