Mercedes AMG F1 W07

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
NoDivergence
NoDivergence

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W07

Nope, can't see it. One of the major problems with that design is the yaw sensitivity to the airbox. Also, with an airbox of this size, you want to maximize the length of the engine cover to get maximum pressure recovery prior to that airflow reaching the rear wing

Aaronque
Aaronque

Aaronque
Aaronque

Der_Meister45
Der_Meister45

I don't think their "S-duct" is actually and S. It seems like a lot of piping to make it into an "S" shape. I would assume its more of a straight shot to the vanity panel from the ducts on the bottom side of the nose.

mbchc
mbchc

For some reason the spec 1 or namely the 'Nose1' reminds me their 2010 car... The entire nose dive down smoother and it seems they have opt for a smoother edge too. But any performance gain after the nose change?
Mercedes AMG Petronas
AMG|||

Moose
Moose

Der_Meister45 wrote:I don't think their "S-duct" is actually and S. It seems like a lot of piping to make it into an "S" shape. I would assume its more of a straight shot to the vanity panel from the ducts on the bottom side of the nose.
Right, I'm sure it's more of a / duct than an S duct.

Der_Meister45
Der_Meister45

Moose wrote:
Der_Meister45 wrote:I don't think their "S-duct" is actually and S. It seems like a lot of piping to make it into an "S" shape. I would assume its more of a straight shot to the vanity panel from the ducts on the bottom side of the nose.
Trying to pull the high pressure air that moves around the nose to the top side of the car allowing for more low pressure air to fill the void as it moves further rearward on the nose/car. Just a guess but I'd think it would help with the Y250 vortex propagation through the front end of the car, so that the maximum can be obtained once it hits the W floor and the barge boards at the front of the side pod.

bhall II
bhall II

Moose wrote:
bhall II wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:Perhaps it just cleans up the boundary layer behind the pylons.
A thickened boundary layer is synonymous with stagnation.

Two other points: the new design seems to be straighter in profile, and the radius of the curvature that marks its transition to the chassis appears to be smaller. However, it could just be optical trickeration.
I have no idea why you would want to create a vortex where you show one...
I'm pretty sure I didn't show a vortex anywhere. :D

diego.liv
diego.liv

tony77g wrote:Focus on -Duct Mercedes
http://www.f1sport.it/2016/02/f1-s-duct ... -regolare/
If true, that's the innovative part: the articles suggests that the conventional s-duct opening under the nose is rightly placed in the 150mm in front of the wheel center line (allowed); the shark opening is there to canalize the airflow in the allowed opening, but doing so Merc has more control on the flow (working it earlier in a more confortable zone).

The small hole here being the exit of the shark mouth inlet, directly pointed to the allowed s-duct opening

Sevach
Sevach

This S-Duct is very cheeky, Mercedes are cleverly using their "driver cooling" hole as inlet for their S-Duct.

2009 regulations banned nose holes(exception being for driver cooling), that's why all teams S-Ducts until now were in the area where the chassis meets the nosecone, Mercedes is bypassing that.

turbof1

My interpretation is that the underside is not part of the nose, but is counted as an aerodynamic device just like the turning vanes are. We all know it isn't, but everything which can be counted as a hole, happens at the intersection between the chassis and crash structure, which is not clearly regulated.
#AeroFrodo

dren

turbof1 wrote:My interpretation is that the underside is not part of the nose, but is counted as an aerodynamic device just like the turning vanes are. We all know it isn't, but everything which can be counted as a hole, happens at the intersection between the chassis and crash structure, which is not clearly regulated.
Yes, that's my understanding, too. One reason why it will be extremely hard to pass crash testing.
Honda!

mantikos
mantikos

Moose wrote:

Agreed - its an oblique duct more than an S duct.

kenny5
kenny5

Any ideas as to what those huge handle bars under the air box are??
They stuck out since day 1 -- Are there secrets in there??
Vortex Tube or other ??

andrewf1

dren wrote:
turbof1 wrote:My interpretation is that the underside is not part of the nose, but is counted as an aerodynamic device just like the turning vanes are. We all know it isn't, but everything which can be counted as a hole, happens at the intersection between the chassis and crash structure, which is not clearly regulated.
Yes, that's my understanding, too. One reason why it will be extremely hard to pass crash testing.
Their nose has already passed crash testing. It's the deflection test that's missing, but the same goes for all other cars.