Silly season 2024-2025

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
DGP123
DGP123

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

deadhead wrote:
08 May 2024, 16:11
The Sainz situation is very interesting because no matter where he goes he ends up with a very tough teammate..
That sums Sainz up though. He isn’t good enough, hence wherever he goes, he’s in trouble. The recency bias of early season is waning now, and he’s firmly back to a #2 at Ferrari, and showing why Ferrari got rid.

He’d need massive luck to ever win a world title.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

DGP123 wrote:
08 May 2024, 17:33
deadhead wrote:
The Sainz situation is very interesting because no matter where he goes he ends up with a very tough teammate..
That sums Sainz up though. He isn’t good enough, hence wherever he goes, he’s in trouble. The recency bias of early season is waning now, and he’s firmly back to a #2 at Ferrari, and showing why Ferrari got rid.

He’d need massive luck to ever win a world title.
People will understand how much it was a no brainer for Vasseur to bring Hamilton, even if he's not in his 20's anymore

ringo

How about this prediction:

Max to Aston Martin. He loves the Honda engine and Newey too much.
Stroll will just void and pay off Alonso's little peanuts contract and bring Max and Newey to the team.
This will happen tor 2026. Alonso then retires early afte the disbelief of his agreement being dishonored.
For Sure!!

CHT
CHT

Lawrence Stroll will have to replace his son first to demonstrate he is serious about F1. Having Honda alone is not going to be good enough to win championship.
Personally I dont think Lawrence Stroll will remain in F1 for too long as the moment Lance Stroll is replaced he will have less reason to be hanging around if there is no immediate result from all his investment. I believe the speculation about him selling his stake is AM is real and it could happen before 2026. LS may get Sainz to team up with Alonso for 2025.

As for Max, no one can know for sure which team will be leading the pecking order in 2026, and there is no guarantee that Honda engine will produce a better engine since the 2026 regulation is focusing more on energy recovery.

For Max and Jos, their strategy is simple.

a) Max will wait till 2026 to decide on his future, no point gambling or betting on any team on assumption, theory or conjecture.
b) Jos to keep telling the whole world that Max is available, Max wants to leave RB to ensure there is always a vacant seat around for him in 2027.

deadhead

DGP123 wrote:
deadhead wrote:
That sums Sainz up though. He isn’t good enough, hence wherever he goes, he’s in trouble.
Harsh but the more I think about it the more I think you might be right.

CHT
CHT

deadhead wrote:
10 May 2024, 03:17
DGP123 wrote:
deadhead wrote:
That sums Sainz up though. He isn’t good enough, hence wherever he goes, he’s in trouble.
Harsh but the more I think about it the more I think you might be right.
Sainz is a 3x F1 race winners and his victory in Singapore in 2023 was ranked as race of the season.
I am sure he will be fine with GR, FA, or Nico at Audi.

JordanMugen

CHT wrote:
10 May 2024, 05:07
I am sure he will be fine with GR, FA, or Nico at Audi.
Nico is the riskiest as he is not rated highly unlike GR or FA, despite Hulkenberg being fast. Sainz was already slower than Hulkenberg last time they were paired. There is no upside to Sainz beating "journeyman" Hulkenberg as it is expected, yet if Hulkenberg was faster than Sainz it would be disastrous for Sainz's future negotiations and aspirations for a WDC-calibre seat.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

On Max, I can't remember reading it in this thread, but The Race reported that Helmut is apparently willing to leave Red Bull in order to trigger the clause in Max's contract and allow him to leave if he feels that's in Max's best interest. Now that would open questions about what arrangement exists between Helmut and Max/Jos. Would Max want to take Helmut with him to a new team? Could be very interesting - I don't remember anything like that ever happening before.

FWIW, much as I would like a shake up of things, I think Max is staying put for now and looks the favourite for this season and next.

SharkY
SharkY

PapayaFan481 wrote:
13 May 2024, 09:18
On Max, I can't remember reading it in this thread, but The Race reported that Helmut is apparently willing to leave Red Bull in order to trigger the clause in Max's contract and allow him to leave if he feels that's in Max's best interest. Now that would open questions about what arrangement exists between Helmut and Max/Jos. Would Max want to take Helmut with him to a new team? Could be very interesting - I don't remember anything like that ever happening before.
Why on earth would any team want to hire Helmut Marko? Helmut is at times delusional, but I don't think he's reckless enough to leave RBR and be out of F1. Because I can't imagine Max weakening his negotiation position by forcing another team to hire a useless Helmut.

Big Tea

SharkY wrote:
13 May 2024, 10:37
PapayaFan481 wrote:
Why on earth would any team want to hire Helmut Marko? Helmut is at times delusional, but I don't think he's reckless enough to leave RBR and be out of F1. Because I can't imagine Max weakening his negotiation position by forcing another team to hire a useless Helmut.
He may well be considering things from a managing angle. If he got Max on board plus a few of his "ex prodigy" he could maintain his interest in the sport and a nice little earner as a side-line without having to travel if he did not want to.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ringo

Helmut is only useful at redbull. Him leaving redbull is like a shark leaving the ocean to live on mount Everest. The moment he steps out of redbull that's when his F1 relevance and career dies. He will stay at redbull as long as he draws breath.
For Sure!!

CHT
CHT

Helmut's greatest asset is his relationship to RB family and there is no reason for him to leave. Without the special relationship Marko will be of little relevance to Max.

deadhead

deadhead

SharkY wrote:
PapayaFan481 wrote:
Why on earth would any team want to hire Helmut Marko?
Could be a prerequisite for hiring Max Verstappen..

Dunlay
Dunlay

deadhead wrote:
14 May 2024, 17:25
SharkY wrote:
PapayaFan481 wrote:
Why on earth would any team want to hire Helmut Marko?
Could be a prerequisite for hiring Max Verstappen..
It would be interesting to know what would be a role profile for Marko outside of Red Bull. If it's simply hire him and pay a certain salary and he sits in his home in Austria, then great. If he travels around as Max's luggage and his air travel (chartered flights), visa processes, hotel accommodations, track transit, garage entry security clearance etc., is required, then he would be a burden as he isn't going to add any value other than being Max's cheerleader. At Red Bull, he has the responsibility of young driver program, which is only available at Ferrari currently as they have a driver academy. Mercedes or Aston doesn't have one. Other than Max wanting his huggy bear, I don't see how Marko himself would think he can be of value to join Max elsewhere.