IndyCar Series

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
mclaren111

Re: IndyCar Series

Agree...

FW17

Lot of chat about Honda wanting spec engines developed by Ilmore. Certainly did not sound great.

But I always wondered why Indycar has not approached Japan Superformula for a technical collaboration. I understand that a shift to I4 from a V6 maynot be popular in the US market but it sure does give teams to access 3 different engines, all with significant presence in US auto market.

GM would need a new engine, but I am sure they and Ilmore could buy the rights for it from HWA/BMW/Audi

The chassis is also getting quiet aged, why not use the IR18 chassis only for Indy while moving to the newer Dallara SF23 for the road courses?

Would be wonderful if RP convinces VW group dust off the Audi DTM engine and races the Indycar.
Last edited by FW17 on 17 Jan 2024, 04:43, edited 1 time in total.

djos

FW17 wrote:
17 Jan 2024, 04:25
Lot of chat about Honda wanting spec engines developed by Ilmore. Certainly did not sound great.

But I always wondered why Indycar has not approached Japan Superformula for a technical collaboration. I understand that a shift to I4 from a V6 maynot be popular in the US market but it sure does give teams to access 3 different engines, all with significant presence in US auto market.

GM would need a new engine, but I am sure they and Ilmore could buy the rights for it from HWA/BMW/Audi

The chassis is also getting quiet aged, why not use the IR18 chassis only for Indy while moving to the newer Dallara SF23 for the road courses?
I'd rather they brought back the 2.65 litre V8 Turbos with just a basic, small KERS system like F1 had early on. I miss the days of the Ford Cosworth, Chevy (Ilmor), Honda and Toyota all providing engines.

Heck, even if they dropped the turbo in favour of a spec KERS system, it would be great (and reduce costs). The cars would sound amazing (especially compared to F1) and combined with a new chassis (the current one is ancient!) it could really help get ppl interested again.
"In downforce we trust"

FW17

djos wrote:
17 Jan 2024, 04:42
FW17 wrote:

I'd rather they brought back the 2.65 litre V8 Turbos with just a basic, small KERS system like F1 had early on. I miss the days of the Ford Cosworth, Chevy (Ilmor), Honda and Toyota all providing engines.

Heck, even if they dropped the turbo in favour of a spec KERS system, it would be great (and reduce costs). The cars would sound amazing (especially compared to F1) and combined with a new chassis (the current one is ancient!) it could really help get ppl interested again.
Maybe in the future when there is a lot of money flowing in and manufactures are interested.

But at the moment money and manufacturer interest is on the decline. It will help the series to collaborate with another series as IMSA and ACO came together for the hypercar LMDH regulations which allowed a whole host of engines to compete for the top class in Le Mans

djos

FW17 wrote:
17 Jan 2024, 04:49
djos wrote:
FW17 wrote:

Maybe in the future when there is a lot of money flowing in and manufactures are interested.

But at the moment money and manufacturer interest is on the decline. It will help the series to collaborate with another series as IMSA and ACO came together for the hypercar LMDH regulations which allowed a whole host of engines to compete for the top class in Le Mans
True, there is always an option of say the Zytek 3.4-litre, NA, V8's or the Judd DB 3.4-litre, NA, V8's which OEM's could brand in the same way they used to with Ford (Cosworth) and Chevy (Ilmor). If IndyCar put a power cap on them of say 600hp, it would stop the OEM's from engaging in a spending war.
"In downforce we trust"

FW17

djos wrote:
17 Jan 2024, 04:59
FW17 wrote:
djos wrote:

True, there is always an option of say the Zytek 3.4-litre, NA, V8's or the Judd DB 3.4-litre, NA, V8's which OEM's could brand in the same way they used to with Ford (Cosworth) and Chevy (Ilmor). If IndyCar put a power cap on them of say 600hp, it would stop the OEM's from engaging in a spending war.
NA is a lawsuit waiting to happen in city circuits

djos

FW17 wrote:
17 Jan 2024, 08:02
djos wrote:
17 Jan 2024, 04:59
FW17 wrote:

NA is a lawsuit waiting to happen in city circuits
I was suggesting NA + Hybrid as a cost effective option.

The other option is to stick with the current plans, but add a horsepower cap so the OEM’s don’t spend themselves out of the series.

V8 Supercars have done this with the Ford and GM V8’s, and those aren’t even the same capacity engines.
"In downforce we trust"

FW17

Yes an engine like Gibson GK428 as used in lmp2 would be a good option. FIA tendered these engines at $1250 per hour with each unit lasting 50 hrs.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Snaking below the pit attenuator line has been banned.

https://racer.com/2024/02/22/indycar-ba ... rn-4-move/

It didn't look very good to have cars snaking below that line. It looked like something from a video game. Drivers will still be able to block each other up to the line.

Sevach
Sevach