Most pec...bizarre aerodynamics thread.

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
vorticism

Re: Most pec...bizarre aerodynamics thread.

Vanja #66 wrote:
26 Jun 2023, 12:29
Aircraft would be capable of recovering gravitational potential energy when descending, but this isn't available to road vehicles.
"..."

Ultimately for traction vehicles using the wheels for regen is the most effective. If some cars were propeller/fan impelled than it could be a different case.
𓄀

Vanja #66

vorticism wrote:
26 Jun 2023, 16:35
"..."

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/qmZtOm3Qb4A/hqdefault.jpg

Ultimately for traction vehicles using the wheels for regen is the most effective. If some cars were propeller/fan impelled than it could be a different case.
I knew someone was gonna mention this :mrgreen:

Aircraft are flying quite high for lower air density, which in turn reduces drag and fuel burn. So when they are descending, they start from up to 10km and with large and heavy aircraft that's a lot of potential energy. :)

Road vehicles can have what, up to 100m of descent in total on a typical commute? That's not really enough to install a small wind turbine, when you already have wheel regen :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Vanja #66 wrote:
27 Jun 2023, 10:00
vorticism wrote:
"..."

Aircraft are flying quite high for lower air density, which in turn reduces drag and fuel burn. So when they are descending, they start from up to 10km and with large and heavy aircraft that's a lot of potential energy. :)

Road vehicles can have what, up to 100m of descent in total on a typical commute? That's not really enough to install a small wind turbine, when you already have wheel regen :)
Energy management is almost the biggest part of planning and executing the descent / approach profile. Approaches (top of descent) will often start somewhere around 100miles from the airport. There's a lot of energy to get rid of in those few miles.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Billzilla
Billzilla

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Jun 2023, 22:21
Vanja #66 wrote:
27 Jun 2023, 10:00
vorticism wrote:
"..."

Energy management is almost the biggest part of planning and executing the descent / approach profile. Approaches (top of descent) will often start somewhere around 100miles from the airport. There's a lot of energy to get rid of in those few miles.
Can confirm. A heavy aircraft is harder to get down than a light one. Well, airliners at least.

vorticism

𓄀

vorticism

vorticism wrote:
24 Jun 2023, 18:34
🤔

𓄀

Big Tea

Saw an old Porsche in town this morning with a big steel plate 'wing' on the back must weigh 40 lb. No profile, just a plate 5ft bu 1ft bolted to a strut. Probably does wheelies.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

vorticism

Big Tea wrote:
06 Jul 2023, 12:04
Saw an old Porsche in town this morning with a big steel plate 'wing' on the back must weigh 40 lb. No profile, just a plate 5ft bu 1ft bolted to a strut. Probably does wheelies.
More for traction in loose soil.

𓄀

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
26 Jun 2023, 12:29
Aircraft would be capable of recovering gravitational potential energy when descending, but this isn't available to road vehicles. :)
How would the aircraft store that energy? Batteries? With the weight, you probably don't come out ahead.

Also I suspect this method would require a descent rate would cause people to lose their stomach contents... :)
Last edited by AR3-GP on 07 Jul 2023, 01:52, edited 3 times in total.

scuderiabrandon

Image Image Image Image

Scribante Racing GT-R. Aero package designed by Dr. Sammy Diasinos, (DAS) Dynamic Aero Solutions. It lacked front downforce and the short term solution was to adapt a modified rear wing on the front. It sorta bacame a trademark and I believe it still runs it today.

djos

scuderiabrandon wrote:
07 Jul 2023, 01:46
https://ibb.co/9Zx7V1Y https://ibb.co/V3bz1bv https://ibb.co/X4VDXJz https://ibb.co/NpsnyN2

Scribante Racing GT-R. Aero package designed by Dr. Sammy Diasinos, (DAS) Dynamic Aero Solutions. It lacked front downforce and the short term solution was to adapt a modified rear wing on the front. It sorta bacame a trademark and I believe it still runs it today.
That car is pretty wild and a lot of fun to watch! Here’s a great video on it that I saw recently.

"In downforce we trust"

vorticism

☝🏻 Works for F1 going on fifty years.

Next up, the classic inlet endplate (scoop stay? pillar duct?):
𓄀

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

The BMW M1C

Massive diffuser tunnels:
Image.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Giblet
Giblet

AR3-GP wrote:
13 Jul 2023, 18:25
What are the snorkels feeding?
Air intakes for the turbos out in the air to assist cooling the charge air, or just no more room underneath.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute