2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Macklaren
Macklaren

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Pretty frustrating to see every team from Merc to AMR to AT to Williams bring big updates and we are the only ones saying that we cant afford to under the budget gap....sigh...

PhillipM
PhillipM

Who said there's no upgrades here?

haza
haza

People are way to impatient in this thread when is everyone going to realise that patience rewards if you were a true die hard McLaren fan you’d know that the team will eventually find there way back it’s not going to happen over a few races.

The team is apparently bring a small upgrade to try and reduce a bit of drag nothing major

mwillems

haza wrote:
21 Jul 2022, 16:41
People are way to impatient in this thread when is everyone going to realise that patience rewards if you were a true die hard McLaren fan you’d know that the team will eventually find there way back it’s not going to happen over a few races.

The team is apparently bring a small upgrade to try and reduce a bit of drag nothing major
Personally I don't want to be a "True die hard fan", I want to be a realist and if the team aren't doing as well as I'd hope I'd like to acknowledge it.

The team haven't bathed themselves in glory this year and it is definitely a "Could have done better" grading so far.

As for a few races, they've been trying to pull themselves back for a decade or so, we hit a height of 3rd 2 years back and since then we hit 4th and look set to hit 4th again, so even if the progress was worth optimism, we are a little stagnant now and the performance this year also seems a step back from last year.

I do not understand how anyone could argue that that can't be a disappointment.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
21 Jul 2022, 18:13
haza wrote:

Personally I don't want to be a "True die hard fan", I want to be a realist and if the team aren't doing as well as I'd hope I'd like to acknowledge it.

The team haven't bathed themselves in glory this year and it is definitely a "Could have done better" grading so far.

As for a few races, they've been trying to pull themselves back for a decade or so, we hit a height of 3rd 2 years back and since then we hit 4th and look set to hit 4th again, so even if the progress was worth optimism, we are a little stagnant now and the performance this year also seems a step back from last year.

I don’t argue that people can’t be disappointed, but in my opinion some are not considering the fact that is a new set of regulations, therefore you can’t just bring the progress made in previous seasons to this one… If the cars would have been an evolution of previous year’s cars, then by all means one should have the expectation for the team to continue to improve upon that base and keep trying to get closer to the front.

With the new rules, there was always the possibility of getting it very right or very wrong… Without having an objective benchmark or target (not knowing what the competition would look like in terms of performance and how you measured against it) it was always a guessing work.

I tried to not mix “hope” with “expectation”… I was hoping that team would get it right and be at the front, but I wasn’t expecting it since there was no data to drive it.

Been said that, I do agree that there has been several low points for the team this year, from the whole brake saga, unreliability, an step back in pit stops, the existing gap between what the drivers can extract from the car and other nagging issues that were under the team control and could have been better.

SilviuAgo

McLaren brought sidepods, brakes and floor big updates to France according to AMuS.
Let's hope new package will address some of MCL36 weakenesses. 🧡💙

PhillipM
PhillipM

It's not brakes, it's just the rear brake ducts remade incorporating some of the 3d printed bits they tested at Silverstone. Floor is a little more aggressive so lets hope it's not too peaky like some other cars.

Big Tea

PhillipM wrote:
21 Jul 2022, 21:16
It's not brakes, it's just the rear brake ducts remade incorporating some of the 3d printed bits they tested at Silverstone. Floor is a little more aggressive so lets hope it's not too peaky like some other cars.
Norris said he was afraid to touch the peddle, so possibly a very small mod could have a very big effect. If he had confidence in the system doing what he expects, it could end up being very profitable, no matter how small
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Big Tea wrote:
21 Jul 2022, 21:56
PhillipM wrote:
Norris said he was afraid to touch the peddle, so possibly a very small mod could have a very big effect. If he had confidence in the system doing what he expects, it could end up being very profitable, no matter how small
I think Lando’s bake issue was a one-off problem, not an on-going issue

Otherwise we would have heard something about it before now

CjC
CjC

Brake by wire I think he said
Just a fan's point of view

Balalu
Balalu

Looks like a Ferrari inspired sidepod update. Albeit to a lesser extent.

I think they might me trialing a change in concept for next year...
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Jul 2022, 18:43
mwillems wrote:
21 Jul 2022, 18:13
haza wrote:

I don’t argue that people can’t be disappointed, but in my opinion some are not considering the fact that is a new set of regulations, therefore you can’t just bring the progress made in previous seasons to this one… If the cars would have been an evolution of previous year’s cars, then by all means one should have the expectation for the team to continue to improve upon that base and keep trying to get closer to the front.

With the new rules, there was always the possibility of getting it very right or very wrong… Without having an objective benchmark or target (not knowing what the competition would look like in terms of performance and how you measured against it) it was always a guessing work.

I tried to not mix “hope” with “expectation”… I was hoping that team would get it right and be at the front, but I wasn’t expecting it since there was no data to drive it.

Been said that, I do agree that there has been several low points for the team this year, from the whole brake saga, unreliability, an step back in pit stops, the existing gap between what the drivers can extract from the car and other nagging issues that were under the team control and could have been better.
I agree with what your saying, however this new formula puts the onus on design capability and not throwing money at the issue which in theory brings the teams closer together, however we are further from the front than before and as you say, there have been high profile bumps along the way. In any case, I think it's perfectly natural to be disappointed by your hopes not being met.

But I wish I had remembered that line in my youth when I separated from a partner... "why are you disappointed, there was no evidence to support any expectation this relationship would last!" :D :P :wink:
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Big Tea wrote:
PhillipM wrote:
Brake ducts. The winglets on the brakes. Nothing to do with the brakes themselves.

Big Tea

PhillipM wrote:
21 Jul 2022, 23:20
Big Tea wrote:
PhillipM wrote:
Brake ducts. The winglets on the brakes. Nothing to do with the brakes themselves.
Do they not affect the temperature of the disk and pads? Or is it too far down stream
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Nothing worth talking about, or that you couldn't compensate if you needed to