2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
djos

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Macklaren wrote:
21 Jul 2022, 16:04
Pretty frustrating to see every team from Merc to AMR to AT to Williams bring big updates and we are the only ones saying that we cant afford to under the budget gap....sigh...
This looks like a major sidepod upgrade to me!
SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Jul 2022, 19:33
According to AMUS, new floor on the MCL36 for France:

Nice update! Looks like the raised outer edges are inspired by Ferrari’s sidepods.
"In downforce we trust"

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Jul 2022, 18:43
mwillems wrote:
21 Jul 2022, 18:13
Personally I don't want to be a "True die hard fan", I want to be a realist and if the team aren't doing as well as I'd hope I'd like to acknowledge it.

The team haven't bathed themselves in glory this year and it is definitely a "Could have done better" grading so far.

As for a few races, they've been trying to pull themselves back for a decade or so, we hit a height of 3rd 2 years back and since then we hit 4th and look set to hit 4th again, so even if the progress was worth optimism, we are a little stagnant now and the performance this year also seems a step back from last year.

I do not understand how anyone could argue that that can't be a disappointment.
I don’t argue that people can’t be disappointed, but in my opinion some are not considering the fact that is a new set of regulations, therefore you can’t just bring the progress made in previous seasons to this one… If the cars would have been an evolution of previous year’s cars, then by all means one should have the expectation for the team to continue to improve upon that base and keep trying to get closer to the front.

With the new rules, there was always the possibility of getting it very right or very wrong… Without having an objective benchmark or target (not knowing what the competition would look like in terms of performance and how you measured against it) it was always a guessing work.

I tried to not mix “hope” with “expectation”… I was hoping that team would get it right and be at the front, but I wasn’t expecting it since there was no data to drive it.

Been said that, I do agree that there has been several low points for the team this year, from the whole brake saga, unreliability, an step back in pit stops, the existing gap between what the drivers can extract from the car and other nagging issues that were under the team control and could have been better.
I agree with what your saying, however this new formula puts the onus on design capability and not throwing money at the issue which in theory brings the teams closer together, however we are further from the front than before and as you say, there have been high profile bumps along the way. In any case, I think it's perfectly natural to be disappointed by your hopes not being met.

But I wish I had remembered that line in my youth when I separated from a partner... "why are you disappointed, there was no evidence to support any expectation this relationship would last!" :D :P :wink:
We can’t forget that the teams were working on the new regulations since 2019, before the cost cap came into play… At that point in time the once that are leading today were spending twice as much as McLaren… The other team fighting for 4th (Alpine) practically threw away last season and focus almost entirely in 2022.

Luckily, with expected stability in the regulations, CFD / WT allowances, the Budget cap and the fact that there’s a lot to learn / discover still with this cars … Convergence will happen faster than usual and the field will get closer and closer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

runningmanz
runningmanz

djos wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 00:36
Macklaren wrote:
Pretty frustrating to see every team from Merc to AMR to AT to Williams bring big updates and we are the only ones saying that we cant afford to under the budget gap....sigh...
SmallSoldier wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/7a2GLQZ.jpg
Nice update! Looks like the raised outer edges are inspired by Ferrari’s sidepods.
Good to see we are finally bringing another decent update it seems. We need to reduce the drag though, oh how I miss our top speeds from last year, at least some tracks like Monza and Russia we could fight at the front. Interesting to see what this yields.

mclaren111

djos wrote:
Macklaren wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Not sure this is the updated Sidepod & Floor... Here is the one raced in Canada & it looks the same to me...

djos

Hmm, hard to tell from that angle, however the top surface scalloping appears much shallower.
"In downforce we trust"

bosyber
bosyber

djos wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 10:05
Hmm, hard to tell from that angle, however the top surface scalloping appears much shallower.
Maybe, like Alpine who also introduced the higher sides relatively early before then moving to a fully scalloped out setup, they are going at it bit by bit to ensure they know what to expect/as they work on making sure the cooling works with that?

mwillems

It is possible they are going to run the original setup and test it against the new parts later.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 00:57
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Jul 2022, 18:43

I don’t argue that people can’t be disappointed, but in my opinion some are not considering the fact that is a new set of regulations, therefore you can’t just bring the progress made in previous seasons to this one… If the cars would have been an evolution of previous year’s cars, then by all means one should have the expectation for the team to continue to improve upon that base and keep trying to get closer to the front.

With the new rules, there was always the possibility of getting it very right or very wrong… Without having an objective benchmark or target (not knowing what the competition would look like in terms of performance and how you measured against it) it was always a guessing work.

I tried to not mix “hope” with “expectation”… I was hoping that team would get it right and be at the front, but I wasn’t expecting it since there was no data to drive it.

Been said that, I do agree that there has been several low points for the team this year, from the whole brake saga, unreliability, an step back in pit stops, the existing gap between what the drivers can extract from the car and other nagging issues that were under the team control and could have been better.
I agree with what your saying, however this new formula puts the onus on design capability and not throwing money at the issue which in theory brings the teams closer together, however we are further from the front than before and as you say, there have been high profile bumps along the way. In any case, I think it's perfectly natural to be disappointed by your hopes not being met.

But I wish I had remembered that line in my youth when I separated from a partner... "why are you disappointed, there was no evidence to support any expectation this relationship would last!" :D :P :wink:
We can’t forget that the teams were working on the new regulations since 2019, before the cost cap came into play… At that point in time the once that are leading today were spending twice as much as McLaren… The other team fighting for 4th (Alpine) practically threw away last season and focus almost entirely in 2022.

Luckily, with expected stability in the regulations, CFD / WT allowances, the Budget cap and the fact that there’s a lot to learn / discover still with this cars … Convergence will happen faster than usual and the field will get closer and closer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sure they were certainly looking at the regulations but I'm sure we analysing them too, so I'm not sure how much the other teams did, or didn't, get an advantage. Even Mercedes are pulling to the front and at one point they were right besides us. We had plenty of time to analyse the philosophy and make a choice with enough information that our designers needed. It just seems we made the wrong choice, but I don't think that is luck or even time, that was a decision based on our designers ability, experience and knowledge as much as anything and they fell a little short.

The way has been shown for them a little bit now, so hopefully they can use this years design lessons as a platform to push on strongly.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

MrGapes

As expected Daniel is running the upgrades FP1

mclaren111

MrGapes wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 14:07
As expected Daniel is running the upgrades FP1
Post pictures to MCL36 Tread when you see some... Thx...

organic

I just saw a large number in the speedtrap for the mclaren..

MrGapes

Daniel is 5tenths quicker in sector 2 compared to Lando, don't know if that's run plan related but pretty significant difference in the straights, hope these new upgrades have improved the efficiency.

edit: Lando had throttle issues when he applied 100-90 throttle that could be a the reason for the large speed trap gap

Mansell89
Mansell89

Is our front wing higher off the ground this weekend or is it just a camera illusion?

Danny was putting a nice medium tyre lap in there until that run wide in S3- some little glimpses of pace and straight line speed.

Macklaren
Macklaren

djos wrote:
Macklaren wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Very happy to be wrong! I withdraw my whinge...

Swed3121
Swed3121

Welcome to the club Macca
Finally joining everybody (other than the stubborn Germans) in choosing a RB or Ferrari sidepod