2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

chrisc90 wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 22:10
I guess they were MEGA lucky this happened on a sprint weekend, Else they would have both been starting from the pitlane due to breach of parc ferme issues.
So long as they used like-for-like parts with the same settings they wouldn't have to start from the pitlane. Unless they had to replace a limited numbers item that took them over the limit e.g. a gearbox outside of their allocation
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Stu

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 08:39
chrisc90 wrote:
I guess they were MEGA lucky this happened on a sprint weekend, Else they would have both been starting from the pitlane due to breach of parc ferme issues.
So long as they used like-for-like parts with the same settings they wouldn't have to start from the pitlane. Unless they had to replace a limited numbers item that took them over the limit e.g. a gearbox outside of their allocation
Which is fine if they did; however, Lewis took a repaired floor and rear wing (of the same specification that he started parc ferme) - again this is totally fine. George did not, he got a floor and rear wing that were of a different specification (there were no further spares of those items to the same specification). By rights George should have started from the pit lane.
We only have the teams assurances that no set-up adjustments were made during the building/rebuilding of the cars (Lewis was reported to be taking a new chassis as a result of his Q3 damage) - Bottas took a pit lane start the other weekend because he made a rear wing setting changed post-qualifying.
The only changes allowed during parc ferme conditions without approval from the FIA are tyre pressures.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Cocles

I can't find the source, but I could have sworn there's an exception where if the teams are repairing damage and don't have parts, they're allowed to use parts with older specs used in previous races. Maybe that's BS; I remember the context I saw it in was regarding GR's rear wing.

chrisc90

Cocles wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 09:55
I can't find the source, but I could have sworn there's an exception where if the teams are repairing damage and don't have parts, they're allowed to use parts with older specs used in previous races. Maybe that's BS; I remember the context I saw it in was regarding GR's rear wing.
Only in the event of a sprint weekend can they retain position.

If it was a ‘normal’ weekend, and different spec parts, it would be a pitlane start.

Quantum

Stu wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 09:00

By rights George should have started from the pit lane.
We only have the teams assurances that no set-up adjustments were made during the building/rebuilding of the cars (Lewis was reported to be taking a new chassis as a result of his Q3 damage) - Bottas took a pit lane start the other weekend because he made a rear wing setting changed post-qualifying.
The only changes allowed during parc ferme conditions without approval from the FIA are tyre pressures.
Not sure I follow.
"By rights" intimates they broke the rules and that George should've started from the pitlane.

We might only have the teams assurances, but what would the stewards have? Do they operate under assurances from teams too?
"Interplay of triads"

mkay
mkay

Stu wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:
Which is fine if they did; however, Lewis took a repaired floor and rear wing (of the same specification that he started parc ferme) - again this is totally fine. George did not, he got a floor and rear wing that were of a different specification (there were no further spares of those items to the same specification). By rights George should have started from the pit lane.
This is wrong. In case of force majeure, you can get permission from the FIA to use a different spec provided it has already been raced before, which Merc did as they had no other spares.

RZS10

Stu wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:
There's so much wrong with this post that it's baffling, especially since the contrary was already posted one page earlier - with sources/proof, as a direct reply to you ... lol

Lewis had the spare floor and spare RW of the same spec as he used in Q - that is evident when looking at the car on any photograph from Friday to Sunday.

George had the repaired floor but it was made from two that were the same spec as Q, so as a result it was also the same spec.

The only part that was changed was the RW and the change was covered by the sporting regs 40.3
[...] Exceptionally, at an Event where a sprint session is scheduled, replacement parts that are different in design will be permitted provided that the part is of a specification that has been used previously in a qualifying practice session or a race. In such cases, the Competitor should inform the FIA prior to the start of the sprint session of any part where this may be necessary. Any parts removed will be retained by the FIA.
Which is also the answer to Cocles:
Cocles wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 09:55
Article 40.2 points out the changes, repairs or overall work that can be done on the car under parc fermé on a sprint weekend, and it is more than just the change of tyre pressures (setup wise it's also the FW for example).
It's quite extensive:
So in theory every team would have the opportunity to take apart the car for checks etc, so "We only have the teams assurances that no set-up adjustments were made" is pretty much true for all teams (to a degree), but the rules also make it sound like there's at least one FIA scrutineer present when they work on the cars, with the ability to compare setups post Sprint with pre Sprint based on a setup sheet they are provided with.

Oh and Bottas took a pit lane start this weekend.
He had an engine change (+10grid drop) which would have put him last anyways (he was P10 in the sprint).
So they changed the RW assembly and suspension (not just the RW settings), probably to give him better chances of getting through the field.

atanatizante

I read that in Silverstone FP3 they've tested new rear suspension and other stuff around the system in order to alter the car`s ability to ride over the bumps and kerbs. And the proof is the radio feedback both drivers gave back which was disguised as porpoising/bouncing issues when they talked back to the team/race engineer. Due to lack of testing time both in Silverstone and Spielberg, it`ll be tested again at Paul Richard and raced had the results are positive ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

atanatizante

Could someone enlighten me on why they are having the best performance on the C1 and C2 tyres (the hardest on the Pirelli range) then they are having so warmup issues on the C3 tyres (and the other soft tyres available not to mention the wet weather tyres). From what could have seen in Silverstone W13 it`s kind to the tyres thus we could see a 30 or so long stint on the C2 tyre but he also did the fastest time on the C1 - the hardest tyre on the range - meaning they are putting a lot of load on them, which contradicts the longer stints they could do on the C2 tyres before that ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

basti313
basti313

atanatizante wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 22:01
Could someone enlighten me on why they are having the best performance on the C1 and C2 tyres (the hardest on the Pirelli range) then they are having so warmup issues on the C3 tyres (and the other soft tyres available not to mention the wet weather tyres). From what could have seen in Silverstone W13 it`s kind to the tyres thus we could see a 30 or so long stint on the C2 tyre but he also did the fastest time on the C1 - the hardest tyre on the range - meaning they are putting a lot of load on them, which contradicts the longer stints they could do on the C2 tyres before that ...
Warmup is not necessarily the opposite of lifetime. There are some settings (like toe) that may put both at opposite, but in reality this is way more complicated.
In a safety car situation I also do not see the rubber you use as relevant. It is always too slow to get the tires fully working and on a car like the Merc that is a grip monster, but bottoms (see Rus crash), the drivers need to be extra careful. There it is more the pressure not the temp hurting after a safety car.

In Austria...no issues...

By the way Austria: Ham lost ~18sec in traffic and another 4-5sec on his first outlap. The rest of the race he was matching Lec as long as they did not put him on deltas.
The only thing that puzzles me is the outlap after the second stop...again super slow. If this would not be the case and without the crashing, the Merc would have been right at the front, maybe for win without these low deltas they were driving at the end of the stints.
Don`t russel the hamster!

SiLo

basti313 wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 09:40
atanatizante wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 22:01
Warmup is not necessarily the opposite of lifetime. There are some settings (like toe) that may put both at opposite, but in reality this is way more complicated.
In a safety car situation I also do not see the rubber you use as relevant. It is always too slow to get the tires fully working and on a car like the Merc that is a grip monster, but bottoms (see Rus crash), the drivers need to be extra careful. There it is more the pressure not the temp hurting after a safety car.

In Austria...no issues...

By the way Austria: Ham lost ~18sec in traffic and another 4-5sec on his first outlap. The rest of the race he was matching Lec as long as they did not put him on deltas.
The only thing that puzzles me is the outlap after the second stop...again super slow. If this would not be the case and without the crashing, the Merc would have been right at the front, maybe for win without these low deltas they were driving at the end of the stints.
He had the gap to take it easy on the outlap and bring the tyres in slowly. That's my guess anyway.
Felipe Baby!

continuum16

Of note before France: I believe it’s expected to be extremely hot this weekend. All sun; less than 5% chance of rain on any day. I would expect that this will also play into Merc’s hands given the excessive heat will help with warmup issues and also favor their trait of comparatively less degradation in the race. I don’t think the stars could align any better given the current situation, given the track surface, temperature, track layout, etc.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

chrisc90

continuum16 wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 21:53
Of note before France: I believe it’s expected to be extremely hot this weekend. All sun; less than 5% chance of rain on any day. I would expect that this will also play into Merc’s hands given the excessive heat will help with warmup issues and also favor their trait of comparatively less degradation in the race. I don’t think the stars could align any better given the current situation, given the track surface, temperature, track layout, etc.
Didn’t they have over heating issues in Spain?

continuum16

chrisc90 wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 21:54
continuum16 wrote:
Forgot about that part, yes. Guess we will see if they made any progress on that front, or if it was a one-time deal
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

Sidiamal
Sidiamal

chrisc90 wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 21:54
continuum16 wrote:
They underestimated the temperatures and their undersized cooling package was caught out. They've learned and haven't had the problem since.

The one issue I do expect to see regarding temps is the tyres overheating in qualifying. In Spain it destroyed their Sector 3 times, but was no negative consequence on race trim.