2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

PlatinumZealot wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 03:05
Hammerfist wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 18:22
Looking quite weak this weekend so far. I guess the upgrades they brought didn't work. Either that or Ferrari has taken a huge step forward. And just like that, it's back to square one.
The race pace will be monstrous. Tyre degradation will be high so don't count them out yet! She is slow in Q but she is gentle on the tyres.
I hope u r right but verstappens race sims show hes in another league.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

‘’But she is gentle on the tyres’’ Yes ‘she’ is when doing less then half race simulation laps than others did. The facts show that the cap had increased against all the progress push bombardments in the British press. Last time out the deficit at the end was over one half second for one car and over three quarters of a second for the other car, this time chances are all that will more than double.

IM_055
IM_055

I think you’re being very pessimistic, we’ve seen constantly that the cars been brilliant in terms of maintaining tyre life throughout the whole season. Yesterdays running on long runs wasn’t conclusive enough and I also think they’ve got more to come today. I still don’t think they’re on Ferrari/RB level yet but I do see them being a lot closer after the Flexi floors have been tidied up. We’ve also seen big progress made between Fridays and Saturdays in terms of evolving the car setup and optimising it. As fans we’ll probably never really know what they’re lacking, whether it’s DF or struggling to get tyres into the best working window as Toto had mentioned after FP1. We’ve also got to cut the team some slack and back them, they’ve produced 8 consecutive championship winning cars and have to back them on this car as well. In hindsight it could be a lot worse but considering we’re 3rd fastest it could be worse. It’s also very easy to get into such a negative rut after seeing a Friday where they’ve been off the pace but more often than not, they’ve scored a decent haul of points and if race pace is anything to go by from recent races, they could challenge for a win with some luck if they can get the car in good starting position

Very reasonable quali, without the slipstream fugazi HAMs not far behind.

Tomorrow should be good, not sure I buy any of the race pace approximations from yest, especially as far as HAM features.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

I think Hamilton can get Perez tomorrow.
Tomorrow the tyre deg will be key because of the temperatures, Merc is very gentle on the tyres, let's see.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

214270 wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 17:06

Tomorrow should be good, not sure I buy any of the race pace approximations from yest, especially as far as HAM features.
The slipstream effect is overplayed. The majority of Leclerc’s advantage is in sector 3. He is 6 tenths up in that sector alone. Forget about being competitive this race. They are not in the same ball park at all.

chrisc90

Spoutnik wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 17:20
Tomorrow the tyre deg will be key because of the temperatures, Merc is very gentle on the tyres, let's see.
Thats almost as optimistic as everyone saying Merc have a chance of winning this weekend

Hammerfist wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 17:22
214270 wrote:

The slipstream effect is overplayed. The majority of Leclerc’s advantage is in sector 3. He is 6 tenths up in that sector alone. Forget about being competitive this race. They are not in the same ball park at all.
The slipstream affects the S3 time as well; LEC is 6-tenths up in that sector because of the slip
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

mkay
mkay

chrisc90 wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 17:25
Spoutnik wrote:
Thats almost as optimistic as everyone saying Merc have a chance of winning this weekend
Merc's long run pace in FP2 and FP3 wasn't too far off Perez's. Who knows if they'll be able to hang in there, but they'll definitely try.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Hammerfist wrote:
214270 wrote:

The second straight it part of sector 3. The track is confusing and S3 is disproportionately long. You never even know what you are looking at.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Should be more worried about cars around then like Norris and whoever is behind George jumping them at the start due to poor tyre warmup.

Big Tea

chrisc90 wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 17:25
Spoutnik wrote:
I think he can get P3. He is good for getting distance on the tyres and the 'other Ferrari' will have done a lot of work by the time it is in the podium fight, and will probably be more concerned with Checo if given the choice.

Much will fall on where each car is (in the tyre cycle) when they all meet up.
If Ham has space to just 'do his thing' he is within striking distance of step 3 if Checo and Carlos play pokey.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

AR3-GP wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 17:56
Hammerfist wrote:
214270 wrote:

The second straight it part of sector 3. The track is confusing and S3 is disproportionately long. You never even know what you are looking at.
You are right but i dont think it made a whole lot of difference. That 6 tenths gap has been present all weekend. Doubtful leclerc gained anything substantial from the tow.

mvfad

I know there's a whole drag issue and such... But sometimes I get the feeling that Mercedes is running with a limited/weak engine (for reliability reasons). And Barcelona was the only race they ran at full power. :-k

But anyway, great lap from Lewis, a perfect lap.
Russell made some mistakes on his final lap of qualifying that made him lose a lot of time, but he has a good race pace.

dialtone
dialtone

214270 wrote:
Hammerfist wrote:
214270 wrote:

The slipstream affects the S3 time as well; LEC is 6-tenths up in that sector because of the slip
The tow was at most 0.15s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk