2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
tpe
tpe

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

mvfad wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 21:07
I know there's a whole drag issue and such... But sometimes I get the feeling that Mercedes is running with a limited/weak engine (for reliability reasons). And Barcelona was the only race they ran at full power. :-k

But anyway, great lap from Lewis, a perfect lap.
Russell made some mistakes on his final lap of qualifying that made him lose a lot of time, but he has a good race pace.
Barcelona or Silverstone?
Or both?

mvfad

tpe wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 21:18
Barcelona or Silverstone?
Or both?
Barcelona, I don't remember the top speeds at Silverstone.
And it was in Barcelona that they had a heating issue in both cars.

mkay
mkay

Re: Mercedes W13

ringo wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 15:07
Their upgrades seem to be tiny little things.
What did they bring here beside bigger nose cone nostrils? lol
I don’t think RB and Ferrari unlocked several tenths with those upgrades this weekend alone. I think the gap is purely track-specific and Merc is simply underperforming this weekend.

I think Merc is at sea and doesn’t fully understand its car. They were expecting to be nowhere in Austria and racier in France, and so far it’s looking like the opposite has happened (will reserve final judgment after the race).

De Jokke

Spoutnik wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 17:20
I think Hamilton can get Perez tomorrow.
Tomorrow the tyre deg will be key because of the temperatures, Merc is very gentle on the tyres, let's see.
Sry to bury your expectations but I read that RBR solved their tyre deg issues :roll:
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

De Jokke

GrizzleBoy wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 18:24
Should be more worried about cars around then like Norris and whoever is behind George jumping them at the start due to poor tyre warmup.
This!

De Jokke

I am really worried now about the W14, as they still don't understand this car.
So how can you build a better one if you don't understand what's going on/wrong ?

Pretty clueless: https://www.racefans.net/2022/07/23/no- ... -the-same/

and

Wolff admitted the team is at a loss to explain some of the drastic swings in performance it has encountered.

“We are seeing within one session we go from totally uncompetitive in the first sector to – second run in Q3 – we’re the best in sector one. [From] uncompetitive in sector one, dreadful, to being the quickest in sector one at the end, and the opposite in the last sector.

“So clearly there’s something happening, whether it’s wind-affected or tyre-dependant, that is just not working on our car. The car is on the edge and between hero and zero there is just a super-fine margin that we don’t seem to hit and understand.”

wesley123
wesley123

De Jokke wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 00:40
I am really worried now about the W14, as they still don't understand this car.
So how can you build a better one if you don't understand what's going on/wrong ?
By building a car that isn't so incredibly on the edge.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

De Jokke wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 00:19
Spoutnik wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 17:20
I think Hamilton can get Perez tomorrow.
Tomorrow the tyre deg will be key because of the temperatures, Merc is very gentle on the tyres, let's see.
Sry to bury your expectations but I read that RBR solved their tyre deg issues :roll:
Yes.. but Perez is slow + bozo at starts

PlatinumZealot

mvfad wrote:
I know there's a whole drag issue and such... But sometimes I get the feeling that Mercedes is running with a limited/weak engine (for reliability reasons). And Barcelona was the only race they ran at full power. :-k

Russell made some mistakes on his final lap of qualifying that made him lose a lot of time, but he has a good race pace.
Data traces show the engine is about equal. (Read at speeds below about 200kph). The gap is made at the higher speeds where aerodynamics come into play. The car is just draggy for whatever reason. Wings, front-rear ride height etc.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Big Tea

PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 02:08
mvfad wrote:

Data traces show the engine is about equal. (Read at speeds below about 200kph). The gap is made at the higher speeds where aerodynamics come into play. The car is just draggy for whatever reason. Wings, front-rear ride height etc.
There have been several comments from drivers about how Ferrari get the traction out of corners, so it may not all be power and drag. I know DF devices usually add drag, so it is an area to look at where they can gain without compounding the drag if they can find the same 'tweek'
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

''The car is just draggy for whatever reason, wings, front -rear ride height ect''. In short its the car, the gap to the front runners is the same since the first race, now halfway through the season they are already too late both in preparation and spend wise to start work on a new car design for next year which really was their only way forward.

Stu

saviour stivala wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 08:53
''The car is just draggy for whatever reason, wings, front -rear ride height ect''. In short its the car, the gap to the front runners is the same since the first race, now halfway through the season they are already too late both in preparation and spend wise to start work on a new car design for next year which really was their only way forward.
Just as we all thought that they were getting on top of their problems. Who is the quoted part from?

Edit: I see it is from PZ, above.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

saviour stivala wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 08:53
Why and how they were so fast (fastest even) in Barcelona on the straights ? What happened there ?

This car is an enigma to me.

Sidiamal
Sidiamal

GrizzleBoy wrote:
Should be more worried about cars around then like Norris and whoever is behind George jumping them at the start due to poor tyre warmup.
Tyre warmup isn't a problem when track temp is 55°C. Mercedes have made good starts more often than not even when it was (in fact I distinctly remember Norris losing out to both Mercedes last time out at Australia).

07Patches
07Patches

Sidiamal wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 10:18
GrizzleBoy wrote:
Tyre warmup isn't a problem when track temp is 55°C. Mercedes have made good starts more often than not even when it was (in fact I distinctly remember Norris losing out to both Mercedes last time out at Australia).
They are pretty quick off the start, but every restart they lose a position or get into battles with people behind rather than in front. From turn 1 into 2nd lap I think merc must have a very high position drop this season, while they get the tyres working