2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dialtone
dialtone

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

mendis wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 08:52
Big Tea wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 03:38
Spoutnik wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 23:41

I think it's possible with a SC/VSC
He seems to have a lot of pace and being confortable with this car.
The trouble with S/C is they can also work the other way and form a DRS train of cars that do not qualify for blue flag passing and can also nullify a recent tyre change. It is a bit of a dice roll sometimes.
Hopefully Ferrari isn't repeating the Canada mistake of removing downforce to gain straight line speed advantage. It destroys the tyres and renders he car tractionless and the straight line speed advantage becomes useless. Sainz would need grip and traction out of corners to mount a challenge. Hope he can get on podium.
That's not what happened in Canada.

Canada has had traditionally for decades very few passes, this year just 36, Leclerc performed 11 of those. It's basically the high speed equivalent of Spain, which shares the same average passes per race for the past decade.

Leclerc in Canada wasn't suffering from bad traction but instead the issue with Ocon was 20+ laps older tires. On top of it being unlucky with VSC which came out right after he had already pitted, plus a slow pitstop.

What do you think gives more traction issues? The same rear wing they used in Silverstone, Austria and today with great success, or having 41 lap old tires against 19-20 lap old tires?

Shal_Leg16
Shal_Leg16

" Sainz gave a shitty answer but it’s nothing that we’re not aware of already. He endears himself less and less to me personally every time he opens his mouth.

For those requiring an explanation as to why it was shitty… He was asked about it being 2 Red Bull’s vs 1 Ferrari and said it would be easier for Leclerc because he doesn’t have to race his teammate as well. It’s almost as if he is unaware that it would actually have been preferable for Ferrari as a team if the faster Ferrari driver this weekend was at the front too but all he can think about is racing his teammate "

copying that from another forum ( not gonna name it ) but i eco that. all he has on his mind is....

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Big Tea wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 03:38
Spoutnik wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 23:41
Alonsismo wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 23:20
i want Sainz from p19 to p1
I think it's possible with a SC/VSC
He seems to have a lot of pace and being confortable with this car.
The trouble with S/C is they can also work the other way and form a DRS train of cars that do not qualify for blue flag passing and can also nullify a recent tyre change. It is a bit of a dice roll sometimes.
Yes you are right but it's the case when the SC is very late, or you don't have enough speed advantage.
See Perez who was nowhere in terms of pace in Silverstone end up P2 because of the SC, and very good straight line speed for the restart.
Sainz on equal tyre can't really get stuck behind any cars if you look at the gap between the top and the rest. And for Mercedes, their straight line speed will make them sitting duck if they are fast.

So hopefully a mid race SC for Sainz so he can join the fight, and a very aggressive strategy for Ferrari due to the temperatures.

mendis
mendis

dialtone wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 09:14
What do you think gives more traction issues? The same rear wing they used in Silverstone, Austria and today with great success, or having 41 lap old tires against 19-20 lap old tires?
You missed the point completely. It's not rocket science to understand the tyres wouldn't be in great shape if there isn't enough downforce. If tyres aren't gripping out of slow corners, like in Canada, then there would be no traction to stay closer to the car ahead for DRS move. Silverstone doesn't have a slow corner leading to DRS zone. It's either medium or fast. Why do you think Max was easy meat in Austria?

wowgr8
wowgr8

dialtone wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 02:13
I've been mulling this over since telemetry came out...

https://i.imgur.com/gPkFR9S.jpeg

this is VEC lap (VER v LEC). I think Ferrari turned the power down on LEC's engine.

What makes me say it is how the RPM curve moves compared to austria. in the above graph the only case in which Ferrari matches RedBull is in the non DRS straight to T10, in the other straights Ferrari has lower RPMs. Here's a few zooms from that:

Every straight in austria is matching RPMs in 8th gear, but here in France they aren't except the one without DRS where Charles got a tow anyway.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think Ferrari dropped power to avoid failures if they can.
Great analysis as usual. PG from formu1a agrees, he says the Ferrari engines are not at full power, hopefully not a translation error.

dialtone
dialtone

mendis wrote:
dialtone wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 09:14
You missed the point completely. It's not rocket science to understand the tyres wouldn't be in great shape if there isn't enough downforce. If tyres aren't gripping out of slow corners, like in Canada, then there would be no traction to stay closer to the car ahead for DRS move. Silverstone doesn't have a slow corner leading to DRS zone. It's either medium or fast. Why do you think Max was easy meat in Austria?
He did 40 laps on tries designed for 46, his tires were lasting.

Alonsismo
Alonsismo

leclerc....

JPower
JPower

Bad mistake by Leclerc.

Looks like Sainz will go to a 2 stop.

Cuky

JPower wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 15:39
Bad mistake by Leclerc.
Seems to be a technical issue again. He said on radio "I can't get off the throttle", the issue he also had in Austria

Schippke
Schippke

Well... having a shred of hope after the amazing performance of Austria, came crashing several layers below Ground.

I think I'll just have to learnt to be content to the fact that Both Ferraris finish now this year... that usually would somewhat generate a decent result.

Christ this hurts...

wowgr8
wowgr8

This season is like the worst of 2017 and 2018 combined but much worse. Reliability in 2017 and operational issues in 2018. This was the golden chance to win it and they're handing it to Red Bull. Nicolas Todt is here this weekend, no doubt he'll be looking around for better opportunities for his client. Charles deserves better.

JPower
JPower

Cuky wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 15:40
JPower wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 15:39
Bad mistake by Leclerc.
Seems to be a technical issue again. He said on radio "I can't get off the throttle", the issue he also had in Austria
Eh, I think he meant in the context of him trying to get into reverse. We'll see. He didn't have issues on corner entry and it would be strange for it to happen at that exact moment with no warning.

Shal_Leg16
Shal_Leg16

disappointed , but hoping for few hicupps for Max too so not completely down n out

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

At the french TV he's talking about his own mistake.

F1NAC

Shal_Leg16 wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 15:50
disappointed , but hoping for few hicupps for Max too so not completely down n out
Not gonna happen.