2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
wowgr8
wowgr8

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Jambier wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 11:50

I really really hope that 2022 is Ferrari come back, at least 4 wins in the year, we need Ferrari strong
I would bite your entire arm off if you offered me 4 wins this season, I'd consider that a huge success but I'm very sceptical and keeping my expectations low

With a brand new car like this there's just so much that could go wrong and there's bound to be some teams that get it wrong

AeroDynamic

wogx wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 14:20
AeroDynamic wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 13:57
I kinda wish F1 mandated gloss paint in the cars, matte can look good but gloss paint looks elegant and classy.
Prettier car won't be faster in this case. Someone said something important about F1 last year:
Toto, it's called a motor race, OK?
:lol:
yes but F1 has many times mandated rules because they want the car to look a certain way, i.e. not unsightly. Even if the unsightly features made the cars faster and more effective. The matte paint is purely aesthetic and has nothing to do with performance, so is actually a better reason to mandate it than allow teams to use paint/livery aesthetic as a performance area

AeroDynamic

wowgr8 wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 14:24
Jambier wrote:

I really really hope that 2022 is Ferrari come back, at least 4 wins in the year, we need Ferrari strong
I would bite your entire arm off if you offered me 4 wins this season, I'd consider that a huge success but I'm very sceptical and keeping my expectations low

With a brand new car like this there's just so much that could go wrong and there's bound to be some teams that get it wrong
Me too, I would love to see Charles and Sainz win a race each, particularly Sainz. He deserves something of greater recognition of F1.

wogx

AeroDynamic wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 14:27
The matte paint is purely aesthetic and has nothing to do with performance, so is actually a better reason to mandate it than allow teams to use paint/livery aesthetic as a performance area
Matte paint is lighter, that's why teams decide to use it

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... t/4338380/
Last edited by wogx on 07 Feb 2022, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

AeroDynamic

wogx wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 14:32
AeroDynamic wrote:
yes but F1 has many times mandated rules because they want the car to look a certain way, i.e. not unsightly. Even if the unsightly features made the cars faster and more effective. The matte paint is purely aesthetic and has nothing to do with performance, so is actually a better reason to mandate it than allow teams to use paint/livery aesthetic as a performance area
Matte paint is lighter, that's why teams decide to use it
Yes.. what else do you think I was referring to when I said the teams use paint/livery as a performance area..

wogx

AeroDynamic wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 14:33
Yes.. what else do you think I was referring to when I said the teams use paint/livery as a performance area..
Maybe I lost something in translation, but it made me feel like you were contradicting your words, sentence by sentence

AeroDynamic wrote:
The matte paint is purely aesthetic and has nothing to do with performance, so is actually a better reason to mandate it than allow teams to use paint/livery aesthetic as a performance area
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

AeroDynamic

wogx wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 14:40
AeroDynamic wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 14:33
Maybe I lost something in translation, but it made me feel like you were contradicting your words, sentence by sentence

AeroDynamic wrote:

I see your point. I'll break it down for you:

Paint had always been an aesthetic for the car, not a performance feature. The teams have now turned to the paint as an area to extract more performance. So I'm saying, in the intrinsic nature of livery design and paint, they are for aesthetic purposes. We should keep the best aesthetic, for the sake of making the cars looking good, like the classic Ferrari.

Nowadays, we are doing worse things, like increasing the weight of the wheels and their size, for aesthetic instead of performance. So im thinking, why not remove the paint an area of performance gain.

Jambier

wowgr8 wrote:
Jambier wrote:

They are "not allowed" to fail to be honest.

Ferrari is Ferrari, top team, big money, they absolutely need to win races and they cannot miss 2022.
They are in a situation where the only option is to succeed, a bit like Alpine, for 2022.

I'm not saying win the title, but at least be in the mix and win many races. I don't see any reason not to to be honnest, they need to get back at 2019 level minimum

Jolle
Jolle

Jambier wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 14:46
wowgr8 wrote:
Jambier wrote:

Ferrari is Ferrari, top team, big money, they absolutely need to win races and they cannot miss 2022.
They are in a situation where the only option is to succeed, a bit like Alpine, for 2022.

I'm not saying win the title, but at least be in the mix and win many races. I don't see any reason not to to be honnest, they need to get back at 2019 level minimum
It would be nice to have Ferrari up there again, but I don’t agree that they are “not allowed to fail” or something. Although most people here only know Ferrari as a winning team, they had lots of droughts and were for many years a good contender for some good finishes but not for championships or even race wins.
For Ferrari in particular, and to some extent for Mercedes and RedBull, a new way of racing begins. Pre-1980-ish and post-1996 money was no problem. They had PMI in their corner and no budget cap. It was “what ever it takes”. This is gone now and some teams have to figure out how to be efficient and successful. This is easier then done. Look at McLaren how it was finding their new structure after Daimler left in 2010, of course they had engine trouble, but also needed a restructure. You just can’t buy yourself out of the midfield. If you look at who’s who at Ferrari at the moment, they did the beautiful thing of promoting young engineers and rely on their own people, instead of open their wallet and buy every good engineer down the pit lane. They done the same with the drivers. What I do mis, or what McLaren did cleaverly, is add to that young team, a few experienced (but not old) people from outside.

From the outside at least, it doesn’t look like the well oiled machines of RedBull and AMG. I expect-ish a fight between those two and with a bit of distance Ferrari with McLaren and Alpine.
Last edited by Jolle on 07 Feb 2022, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.

wogx

AeroDynamic wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 14:44
Paint had always been an aesthetic for the car, not a performance feature. The teams have now turned to the paint as an area to extract more performance. So I'm saying, in the intrinsic nature of livery design and paint, they are for aesthetic purposes. We should keep the best aesthetic, for the sake of making the cars looking good, like the classic Ferrari.

Nowadays, we are doing worse things, like increasing the weight of the wheels and their size, for aesthetic instead of performance. So im thinking, why not remove the paint an area of performance gain.
OK, I see it now. Still, I don't agree with the idea of banning matte paint. AT looks great with matte finish, RB too. One of the problems with ~2020 Ferrari is their carrot-red tint, I think. It looked nice on first visualizations:

But in reality... Oh :roll:

Maybe if they would correct that shade in real world, it could've worked.

Another solution coming to my mind is a minimal 1 cm^2 paint weight/layer thickness, but it would be hard to obtain & control.

AeroDynamic

wogx wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 15:07

Another solution coming to my mind is a minimal 1 cm^2 paint weight/layer thickness, but it would be hard to obtain & control.
This is ideally a better solution. Make the matte paint cars have to paint a separate layer underneath that balances out the weight difference.

But.. this solution will still mean ugly matte for me. I want GLOSSY FERRARIs, MERCEDES, ASTON MARTINS etc :cry:

Jolle
Jolle

AeroDynamic wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 15:10
wogx wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 15:07

This is ideally a better solution. Make the matte paint cars have to paint a separate layer underneath that balances out the weight difference.

But.. this solution will still mean ugly matte for me. I want GLOSSY FERRARIs, MERCEDES, ASTON MARTINS etc :cry:
The matte paint is 100% to be better visible on the TV. No more glares that makes it harder to see sponsors. That’s why for instance, only the parts of the car with sponsors are matte. All carbon bits that could benefit greatly from any kind of aero or weight difference, are all coated gloss.

LM10
LM10

wowgr8 wrote:
Jambier wrote:

I’ve the feeling you’ll need to bite more than just his entire arm off.
Last edited by LM10 on 07 Feb 2022, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.

wowgr8
wowgr8

Jambier wrote:

The expectations really don't mean anything when it comes to performance, yes we hope and expect they'll be back up there but the performance could be the complete opposite as far as we know, that's why I'm keeping my expectations low. Ferrari are not as good a team as Red Bull or Mercedes right now so getting to that level would be sort of overachieving

If the performance is poor I worry a lot about how toxic it will get. Binotto will get the axe but I don't see how that changes Ferrari's fortunes because I don't think Binotto is the problem

F1NAC

Jambier wrote:
wowgr8 wrote:
Jambier wrote:

Money wise they are now leveled all together aren't they? Facility wise top notch, but money is now the same for everyone. Finite amount of resources to construct the winning car.