All kinds of news about F1.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
stephen

Re: All kinds of news about F1.

Soalar wrote:
30 Dec 2023, 12:26
2003 Indy 500 winner Gil de Ferran dead at 56 - Motorsport.com https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news ... /10561436/
He was one of my favorites in late 90s CART when they were really fast beasts.
Stephen Marengo
My F1 favorites: Community | Team | Driver

bigblue

Another Gil de Ferran obituary, sounds like he was a genuinely great guy: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/67848628

stephen

The former Alfa Romeo Formula 1 outfit has been renamed as the Stake F1 team until they become the Audi factory outfit in 2026.
Stephen Marengo

organic

Corruption probe in Singapore. Transport minister, Singapore GP promoter, has resigned after being charged.

The allegations of corruption involve the transport minister accepting gifts from the sole shareholder of the Singapore GP, Ong Beng Seng (Malaysian billionaire who was instrumental in bringing a grand prix to Singapore)

Currently Singapore insists the 2024 race will go ahead as planned

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/singa ... /10567078/

Wouter

No one was asking for another street circuit! :evil: Also a ten year contract!
Terrible outlay with 8 !! 90 degree bends.
Wrong choice again, they ignore the long-standing real old skool courses.

Last edited by Wouter on 23 Jan 2024, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
The Power of Dreams!

Vanja #66

That's a terrible layout, 0 overtaking chances. Both straights are followed by a chicane, meaning you get an easy chance to cut back under. The ambient looks awful as well, I hope there will be a world-wide petition to restore Barcelona circuit and never ever even think about this Madrid layout.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

DGP123
DGP123

No surprise. Spoke about the direction F1 was going, and morphing slowly into a FE calendar, whereby city tracks make them the cash. Horrible decision, but they don’t care about the racing.

stephen

F1 fans want more races on actual circuits rather than in the streets.
Stephen Marengo

LHamilton
LHamilton

Which configuration is true? The one posted by F1 or by IFEMA? There is a big change..

Look at the roundabouts in relation to the pitch area.

Look at the roundabouts at the top, when you come out of the first tunnel (Valdebebas Tunnel). There is 3 roundabouts in succession. IFEMA shows you go all the way onto the third one, before the heading probably straight and later on turn into the purposeful racetrack area.

In F1s case, you only drive to the second roundabout, before heading into the purposeful racetrack area. You can see the difference also in the long, long sweeping turn in relation to where it cut the green pitch area. In F1s case, the sweeping turn barely, if at all, cuts the pitch area, whereas in IFEMAs case it does cut the pitch, albeit but slightly.

IFEMA: Image

F1: Image

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

At this point I'd rather watch 10 boring races at Catalunya than another street circuit. Ten year contract while tracks like Spa and Monza are perennially under threat.

chrstphrln

LHamilton wrote:
23 Jan 2024, 13:42
Which configuration is true? The one posted by F1 or by IFEMA? There is a big change..

Look at the roundabouts in relation to the pitch area.

Look at the roundabouts at the top, when you come out of the first tunnel (Valdebebas Tunnel). There is 3 roundabouts in succession. IFEMA shows you go all the way onto the third one, before the heading probably straight and later on turn into the purposeful racetrack area.

In F1s case, you only drive to the second roundabout, before heading into the purposeful racetrack area. You can see the difference also in the long, long sweeping turn in relation to where it cut the green pitch area. In F1s case, the sweeping turn barely, if at all, cuts the pitch area, whereas in IFEMAs case it does cut the pitch, albeit but slightly.

IFEMA: https://i.redd.it/layout-of-ifema-madri ... e80d0b7f71

F1: https://i.redd.it/2026-madrid-track-map ... cdbc103944
I don't even know what you mean. This looks to me like the same race track from a different, steeper perspective.
A few inaccuracies due to blending the aerial shot with the graphics, but other than that?

However, I share the criticism. To me, it doesn't look like a route that would allow for exciting overtaking maneuvers.

organic

Boring layout and another street track. Well done F1 you've done it again

DGP123
DGP123

organic wrote:
23 Jan 2024, 16:28
Boring layout and another street track. Well done F1 you've done it again
They don’t care. $1bn from Vegas over 10 years & now £400m from Madrid. Raking it in now. This is only the beginning of LM’s milking of F1. London, Paris & New York will no doubt follow, along with breaking back into South Africa, most likely away from Kyalami, but a street track around Cape Town. FE type calendar within the decade, with the odd classic here & there.

I don’t see Verstappen sticking around too long

AriaanGert
AriaanGert

I did have a look in google maps. If the layout is correctly presented it is a very tight thing. The track seems to go through a tunnel under the M11 and over the service road next to Pabellon 14. Check it out. There will also be a new part. Permanent? in the waste land with some inclination I guess. Not so sure it will be boring.

dren

Let's wait and see until we cry about how boring it will end up.
Honda!