All kinds of news about F1.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Re: All kinds of news about F1.

organic wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 20:49
Back to 4 engines is good imo

Big crash in sprint means you're probably out of qualifying. Which seems good to me
Someone causes a big crash and takes out several cars who then can't qualify for the grand Prix and that seems good to you? Not to me. In qually if you crash it is usually your fault (or technical failure) and if that forces you to miss the Sprint that makes much more sense to me. Qually should be before the Sprint, Sprint should be reverse wdc grid and it should be combined with the results from qually to form the grid for the grand Prix

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 20:49
Back to 4 engines is good imo

Big crash in sprint means you're probably out of qualifying. Which seems good to me
Why is that a good thing? Some of us have begrudgingly accepted and tolerated the sprint format but the last thing I want to see is cars missing the real qualifying because of the sprint! no, no no. :lol:

organic

Maybe not good.. but I think crashes in the sprints weren't very costly. What chance did someone in P14 have to score a single point in the sprint? Drivers seemed to just use it as an opportunity to wage skirmishes that they'd never do on race days. Qatar between Ocon and Checo springs to mindn

zeph
zeph

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/red- ... stigation/

Wonder what that could be about? Internal investigation because of recent allegations to me sounds like complaints from an employee or something, but who knows.

stonehenge
stonehenge

Does anyone know if Parc fermé changes are still possible now that the sprint-weekend order has been changed? There were talks of possibly reopening Parc fermé after the sprint and before Q1 on Saturdays.

Vanja #66

stonehenge wrote:
06 Feb 2024, 14:46
Does anyone know if Parc fermé changes are still possible now that the sprint-weekend order has been changed? There were talks of possibly reopening Parc fermé after the sprint and before Q1 on Saturdays.
As far as I understood, this was the reason to switch Saturday running order, but I didn't see this confirmed so far. Otherwise, I guess teams would prefer to leave the Sprint as 2nd session to be able to repair the cars if necessary.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

stonehenge
stonehenge

Vanja #66 wrote:
06 Feb 2024, 14:53
stonehenge wrote:
06 Feb 2024, 14:46
As far as I understood, this was the reason to switch Saturday running order, but I didn't see this confirmed so far. Otherwise, I guess teams would prefer to leave the Sprint as 2nd session to be able to repair the cars if necessary.
Exactly...but if they didn't decide it at the commission yesterday, when can they?

Vanja #66

stonehenge wrote:
06 Feb 2024, 14:56
Exactly...but if they didn't decide it at the commission yesterday, when can they?
No idea, maybe the media just left this info out, it's not like 90% of current F1 fans care for that...

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

Vanja #66

Ok, we have some specific info now:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/comp ... /10572885/

Few details of the new version emerged in Monday's F1 Commission statement, and that's because they still have to be debated and agreed upon in Friday's upcoming meeting of the sporting advisory committee.

The basic plan is to have two parcs fermes – the first is from the shootout to the sprint, and the second is from qualifying to the race.

The big difference from the previous format is that teams now have the option to make set-up and component changes between the sprint and main qualifying, and exactly how that will work and what will be allowed is what has still to be decided.

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 13:30
Ok, we have some specific info now:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/comp ... /10572885/

Few details of the new version emerged in Monday's F1 Commission statement, and that's because they still have to be debated and agreed upon in Friday's upcoming meeting of the sporting advisory committee.

The basic plan is to have two parcs fermes – the first is from the shootout to the sprint, and the second is from qualifying to the race.

The big difference from the previous format is that teams now have the option to make set-up and component changes between the sprint and main qualifying, and exactly how that will work and what will be allowed is what has still to be decided.
This is good because it means that Saturday qualy isn't just a re-run of Friday qualy. My first thought when they announced the qualifying swap was that the sprint qualy would spoil the GP qualy.

organic

Two parc fermes is good. Means how the race plays out won't be identical to the sprint.

Will be busy for the mechanics and team as a whole, but does reduce the main complaint I have about sprints

Vanja #66

AR3-GP wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 17:59
This is good because it means that Saturday qualy isn't just a re-run of Friday qualy. My first thought when they announced the qualifying swap was that the sprint qualy would spoil the GP qualy.
Agreed, it's almost like having two practice sessions that ultimately might bring some points. So it's an added value for teams without taking anything from them (pretty much) and it's an added excitement for fans and reason to tune in on Friday. No idea why it took them 4 years to realise this, but at least they did...

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

dialtone
dialtone

Nice. This was my main complaint about sprint racing, given we really need to keep it and like it. At least allow for different setups.

Good news.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Also, the Madrid F1 circuit might host MotoGP races. To be confirmed.

DGP123
DGP123

Silverstone signs new 10 year deal worth £300m