Scuderia AlphaTauri AT03 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
pierrre
pierrre

Re: Scuderia AlphaTauri AT03 Speculation Thread

interesting how they are using the side pods to work around the diffuser's top like mclaren and the sides

diffuser

pierrre wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 17:18
interesting how they are using the side pods to work around the diffuser's top like mclaren and the sides

https://scontent.fbki2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=620FF71B
https://scontent.fbki2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=620F9B3B
That's similliar, in a broad way, to what Alpine did last year with thier sidpods.

It is interesting that we have another launch and another different sidepod approach. This one seems to be a cross between Haas and AMR.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: McLaren MCL36

Emag wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 13:34
FittingMechanics wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 13:28
MrGapes wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 12:54
As far as I know, Franz Tost confirmed in a article that they will be using redbull rear suspension, gearbox, and he said they may use parts of the front suspension or the whole thing. Anyway I don't expect them to design there own, they've been quite reliant on redbull for the past few years,
AT seems to have standard suspension (pull rod front, push rod back).
Just on renders though. I would wait until we see the real deal before arriving into conclusions.
The body work that got leaked showed at least Push Rod on the front suspension.

jjn9128

Blackout wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 16:56
jjn9128 wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 14:12
Blackout wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 14:01
And extremely high driveshaft and rear bottom wishbones :!: They are very close to the top ones...
The drive shaft to gearbox location is fixed within +/- 10mm from the bottom of the car (250-260mm).
Likewise the wishbones cannot join the upright lower than 40mm below the wheel centre axis.
Already knew this... thanks to you :P
So this is legal, but it would be a little nightmare mechanically indeed...
2021 RB also had an extreme geometry, but this is different
https://i.imgur.com/NwqHTyN.jpg
The rear axle will be ~100mm lower in '22 so less extreme droop from inboard to out!
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Emag
Emag

Re: McLaren MCL36

SmallSoldier wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 17:37
Emag wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 13:34
FittingMechanics wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 13:28

AT seems to have standard suspension (pull rod front, push rod back).
Just on renders though. I would wait until we see the real deal before arriving into conclusions.
The body work that got leaked showed at least Push Rod on the front suspension.
Yes but some rumors hinted towards RB having a push rod rear suspension.

So far though, McLaren is the only (confirmed) team to have gone for this suspension configuration.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Could a mod change this thread from being speculation to just being the actual car? As we've got tangible to discuss now, rather than just speculate on what might be. Thanks. =D>
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

jjn9128

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 18:58
Could a mod change this thread from being speculation to just being the actual car? As we've got tangible to discuss now, rather than just speculate on what might be. Thanks. =D>
To quote Monty Pyton - "it's only a model"
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Thunder

Just_a_fan wrote:
Sorry all we've got is an incomplete render. Actual Car Posts are opened when we.... have an actual Car to discuss.
That's also the reason the Red Bull and Haas Threads are still locked.

Only a few more Days... ;)
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Thunder wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 19:24
Just_a_fan wrote:
Sorry all we've got is an incomplete render. Actual Car Posts are opened when we.... have an actual Car to discuss.
That's also the reason the Red Bull and Haas Threads are still locked.

Only a few more Days... ;)
Oh, OK.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

JordanMugen

Thunder wrote:
Sorry all we've got is an incomplete render.
Fair enough.

Are these streaklines real? They seem real-ish to me as opposed to a pure artist's impression, but I dunno.
From: https://scuderia.alphatauri.com/ja/at03/#still-photo

For reference, the 3D model of the AT02 is still online too: https://scuderia.alphatauri.com/en/at02 ... ula-1-car/

Also, why did they give us so much cool stuff on the AlphaTauri website, if they don't have to? :wtf: :lol: 8)
Max downforce: 3400kg *end of straight, DRS off
Max speed: 350 km/hr *estimated in Mexico

They don't need to tell us any of this, but nice of them to do so IMHO. The caveats make those stats sound like they were vetted by somebody in engineering. :)

Last edited by JordanMugen on 14 Feb 2022, 20:59, edited 3 times in total.

JordanMugen

Owen.C93 wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 15:00
I wouldn't fully agree with saying it's a low nose. Maybe a middle ground.
The nose, front wing and rear wing seem to be fake as they are too basic. Which is fine, they are entitled to do that on a render. :)

The downwash sidepods seem to match the leak of the real car however.

Edit - I think the nose is real, as it is quite slim and nicely blended into the mainplane unlike the FOM models. There is no reason that having the nose blended into the first flap is the only way to do it.

Sevach wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 13:25
Only nose thus far that extends past the wing, i'm thinking fake.
No it is blended into the mainplane. It could be real, it's not the FOM-style on closer inspection.
Last edited by JordanMugen on 14 Feb 2022, 21:46, edited 2 times in total.

jjn9128

JordanMugen wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 20:37
Are these streaklines real? They seem real-ish to me as opposed to a pure artist's impression, but I dunno.
I don't think so. I'd expect more upwash at the back of the rear wing - nearer vertical.
#aerogandalf

JordanMugen

Twitter images don't save in full size correctly for some reason, so there are these from SAT's own server. Not exactly high-res unless I am missing something. :wtf:

The AlphaTauri has a small and inset outer-most venturi inlet strake, similar to McLaren, assuming that part of the render is accurate.

As noted, the diffuser is very basic too -- no typical double-kick like modern venturis -- so that's probably fake too like the front and rear wings.
Last edited by JordanMugen on 14 Feb 2022, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.

JordanMugen

Owen.C93 wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 15:00
I wouldn't fully agree with saying it's a low nose. Maybe a middle ground.

https://i.imgur.com/D3iNBgu.png
The whole car seems to be 50mm off the ground in that render mind you, so perhaps not a good indicator of the gap from the nose to the ground!

Or AlphaTauri want people to think they will be running rake? Very interesting.

What's that, 2 degrees? Is that artistic license, or do SAT want people to think they might be going to run some rake on the car?

...Holding the brake will make the front go down, but standing on the throttle will make the front go up, so what attitude does doing a burnout put the car in? :wtf: I suspect am I overthinking a mere artist's impression of a burnout! :lol:
Last edited by JordanMugen on 14 Feb 2022, 22:33, edited 5 times in total.

Dynamicflow
Dynamicflow

JordanMugen wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 20:37
Thunder wrote:
Sorry all we've got is an incomplete render.
Fair enough.

From: https://scuderia.alphatauri.com/ja/at03/#still-photo

For reference, the 3D model of the AT02 is still online too: https://scuderia.alphatauri.com/en/at02 ... ula-1-car/

Also, why did they give us so much cool stuff on the AlphaTauri website, if they don't have to? :wtf: :lol: 8)
Max downforce: 3400kg *end of straight, DRS off
Max speed: 350 km/hr *estimated in Mexico

They don't need to tell us any of this, but nice of them to do so IMHO. The caveats make those stats sound like they were vetted by somebody in engineering. :)

https://i.imgur.com/0MDynLA.jpg
The aero figures given puts the AlphaTauri at a ClA of 5.76 - sounds about right.