Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
RZS10

Re: Ferrari F1-75

If the top one is new then it rather looks like they decreased the volume of the outermost tunnel with the others largely unchanged?

Edit: here's a comparison, they changed it to a distinct 'step' [edit2: added text for clarity]
Last edited by RZS10 on 21 Jul 2022, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.

bagajohny
bagajohny

Edit: here's a comparison, they changed it to a distinct 'step'
https://i.imgur.com/QdND7jP.png
Which is the new one? Top or bottom? The article doesn't say anything. They should just put it in rhe images.

F1NAC

bagajohny wrote:
21 Jul 2022, 15:34
Which is the new one? Top or bottom? The article doesn't say anything. They should just put it in rhe images.
Bottom is newer one.

Also note that on the newer floor, side fences are more like a RB ones

Sevach
Sevach

F1NAC wrote:
21 Jul 2022, 15:35
bagajohny wrote:
21 Jul 2022, 15:34
Bottom is newer one.

Yup, the side section doesn't continue dropping, it's flat (even slightly rising) and has a fatter leading edge.

RZS10

F1NAC wrote:
21 Jul 2022, 15:35
[...]
The comparison image is from Melbourne as it was the best i could find quickly but the 'bargeboard' like feature was added in Spain, see Monaco here:
Last edited by RZS10 on 21 Jul 2022, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.

Xyz22
Xyz22

dialtone
dialtone

Monaco from below:

Canada from the side:

It looks to me like they increase significantly the vertical size of the inner channels of the floor inlet.

Vanja #66

This is a very big change to the floor. No doubt, the underside is also different. On one hand, inner frontal channel height is slightly increased, on the other - outer channels are significantly decreased.

This might mean outer channels generate less lift and drag (less air fed means lower pressure and smaller frontal area), but it also means inner channels feed more air to the floor and diffuser, meaning more drag and more downforce - if everything works like it should. All in all, there should be downforce increase, maybe slightly less drag.

Could this be the Silverstone floor update, announced early in the season, that should solve bouncing completely?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

nico5

Two comparisons, not one with the actual second iteration of the floor entry introduced in Spain which was already going in that direction but with a slope rather than step (the one in dialtone's post).
This seems to me: 1) a natural evolution of Ferrari's design; 2) a mix of Merc's high tunnel inlet and use of the strake to separate the two sections and RB thick leading edge and rising outboard section (obviously with no double bargeboard). Would be interesting to see if there's also changes to the strake geometry under the car and the floor design to go with it. We've already seen both Ferrari and Merc going in RB's direction in that regard (as much as RB's gone in Ferrari's direction in regard to diffuser and floor edge wing).

RZS10

Still just meets the underside of the tub, no? Are the inner channels really that much higher, if at all?
The innermost is very likely unchanged, going with Albert's comparison, the part which is screwed onto the tub gives it away

The middle of the three channels might be a bit higher towards the outside because of the changed profile but that's probably it ... unless the width changed, but judging by the frontal comparison between Melbourne and now it does not look like it (and yep nico5, i could not find an image of the car in assembly with the floor bolted on with the post Barca spec, that would have been ideal)
Last edited by RZS10 on 21 Jul 2022, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.

Goblin42

More pictures

dialtone
dialtone

RZS10 wrote:
21 Jul 2022, 18:41
Still just meets the underside of the tub, no? Are the inner channels really that much higher, if at all?
The innermost is very likely unchanged, going with Albert's comparison, the part which is screwed onto the tub gives it away
https://i.imgur.com/kUZ8FF9.png

The middle of the three channels might be a bit higher towards the outside because of the changed profile but that's probably it ... unless the width changed, but judging by the frontal comparison between Melbourne and now it does not look like it (and yep nico5, i could not find an image of the car in assembly with the floor bolted on with the post Barca spec, that would have been ideal)
I think the size of the little winglet that you cross over with the red line is very different between the 2 pictures. There's at least 1cm of extra carbon and it looks to me like that whole fence is doing more fencing too, it could be the angle but I don't think it is. EDIT: meaning that the increase exposed area of that fence is due to the higher height.

nico5

RZS10 wrote:
21 Jul 2022, 18:41
https://i.imgur.com/kUZ8FF9.png
I think they were already at maximum legal height, weren't they?

The middle of the three channels might be a bit higher towards the outside because of the changed profile but that's probably it ... unless the width changed, but judging by the frontal comparison between Melbourne and now it does not look like it
You're right, it's probably less than I thought initially. Even less so if they moved strake 3 slightly inward, section might be reduced actually.

RZS10

dialtone wrote:
21 Jul 2022, 18:51
I think the size of the little winglet that you cross over with the red line is very different between the 2 pictures. There's at least 1cm of extra carbon and it looks to me like that whole fence is doing more fencing too, it could be the angle but I don't think it is. EDIT: meaning that the increase exposed area of that fence is due to the higher height.
I'd say the height is similar but it's angled differently

... but this is what you mean, right?

Could be the case ... in the frontal the suspension is covering it unfortunately.

edit: i'll just add the link here, an image from a similar angle would be ideal ... on the old floor the leading edge was pretty much horizontal up to the middle part of the middle channel, wonder how much room there was left to raise anything, heavily depends on how close they were to the regulatory limit (as nico5 points out just above this post)
Last edited by RZS10 on 21 Jul 2022, 20:54, edited 2 times in total.

dialtone
dialtone

RZS10 wrote:
21 Jul 2022, 20:37
dialtone wrote:
21 Jul 2022, 18:51
I'd say the height is similar but it's angled differently
https://i.imgur.com/8fmJeu2.png

... but this is what you mean, right?
https://i.imgur.com/9gOp5j6.png
yep, the height of the winglet is the same, but where it's crossed by the top of the floor is angled differently due to the higher height of said inlet edge.