Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mat-tes
Mat-tes

Re: Mercedes W13

Looks a bit "standard" for now, a mix between new stuff and "vanilla" stuff like a simple nose, we'll see how quick things develop. I know having crazy ideas on a car doesn't make it fast but this looks "tame" compared to other out there ideas we've seen so far.

Interesting notes:
- Theres a screwed on panel on the nose tip, never seen that before.
- The top front wishbone goes far forward ahead of where the bulkhead and nose meet.
- Lower SIP does bulge out into the floor like seen on the Alfa Romeo.
- Where the wavy floor happens, that's where the ventury strakes can come out, so it might play with the vortices generated by each strakes to energize them.
- The amount of floor visible is vast.
- Single rear wing pylon fused with the DRS pod into a single element, looks neat.

Something everyone else noted, odd that there's no visible heat exhaust, no cannon, no vents, just a tiny minimalistic rear.

Looks like a car developed by a very capable team but with a dev time that started a bit later than the other we've seen so far. Seeing these things race is going to be quite something.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Is this the first real truer picture of floor detail we’ve seen this season given some have hidden theirs and some may have shared a “basic” design?

Or is that Merc have just done more in this area?

Car looks really good and good to see the silver arrow back too

DChemTech
DChemTech

Mansell89 wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 12:33
Is this the first real truer picture of floor detail we’ve seen this season given some have hidden theirs and some may have shared a “basic” design?

Or is that Merc have just done more in this area?

Car looks really good and good to see the silver arrow back too
one of my friends commented "since they can't really have bargeboards this year, they just sculpted the floor into one" :mrgreen: But yes, that's where the interesting stuff seems to be going on. At first glance, a tightly packaged but otherwise somewhat basic car compared to e.g. Ferrari, but the details may make a difference. Eager to see their performance.

Motörhead
Motörhead

AMG.Tzan wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 12:21
Though the car looks simple compared to Ferrari or Aston Martin at first glance...there are quite many tricky bits here and there!

1. The cockpit is so far forward compared to the other teams. They must be trying to make the underbody or the neutral section of it as long as possible! Or maybe they're trying to house the engine inside the neutral section of the floor so that it doesn't have a negative effect on the size of the underbody tunnels!
2. The front wing seems outboard-loaded and almost neutral at the center most likely to encourage airflow to the underbody!
3. Sidepods quite nicely sculptured to resemble a bargeboard almost. They're trying to create outwash there
4. Floor also looks quite a bit sculptured with "waves" at the sides of it! These "waves" seem to create some kind of vortex creation that seals the sides of the floor (anyone with better knowledge please comment).
5. No apparent radiator exits nor any louvres at the moment! Has Mercedes HPP made such a heat resistant engine?? :lol:

All in all, I love the shape of the car! Looks so nice and the cockpit being so far forward reminds me of the old pre-1995 days when the cars had cockpits so close to the front axle! Since the 1995 rule change cars have always looked so long-nosed with the cockpits so far forward from the front axle! =D>
Personally, I would say the Front Wing is Mid loaded, neutral in the middle and out-washing at the endplates.
For cooling, it's similar to Mclaren albeit a little tighter.

HungarianRacer
HungarianRacer

Morteza wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 12:03
Oh, I didn't know they bagged Nike's sponsorship... 😁

Fab55
Fab55

from the crumpled paper ball to the sombrero

FWandE
FWandE

Somehow Merc have managed to make the "radically new design rules" 2022 car look like an evolution of their 2021 car......either genius or an "inside the box" thinking failure. Some really interesting touches..rear wing, floor ripples retained and developed,..... and it looks good as always.

Watching all these cars in testing and early races is going to be very interesting. Has anyone found a secret winning formula or will it be Merc vs RB again. It will be interesting to see what the RB car looks like.

bosyber
bosyber

RZS10 wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 11:48
FittingMechanics wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 11:36
I'd remove the "render" pictures, the car is completely different, it's not even close.

Are those officially released renders?
yup

added another one:
Maybe these renders are based on a long gone iteration of their development, might give indication of how much haas will differ on track.

There is indeed very little use in using them for a comparison with other cars more than wheelbase and relative cockpit PLACEMENT and basic concepts.

AeroDynamic

Brightened..

SiLo

Interesting to note that they do not have a small cut out in the side of the diffuser wall ahead of the rear tyre to feed free stream air in to energise the vortices inside the diffuser channel. With how much flow it looks like they should be getting, it might be an update we see pretty early on?
Felipe Baby!

JPower
JPower

Looks very much an evolution of the W11/W12. That’s probably not a bad thing.

I notice that much more of the floor below and in front of the inlets is exposed vs the rest of the cars show thus far.

FWandE
FWandE

AeroDynamic wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 12:02
why does the endplate look like a J shape from this angle? Is it tapering towards the top ?

https://i.imgur.com/ArWKKaL.png

https://i.imgur.com/FVpZ40D.png
I love the way the leading edge of the floor look like sharks teeth from this angle. Will it devour the opposition?

bosyber
bosyber

FWandE wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 12:45
Somehow Merc have managed to make the "radically new design rules" 2022 car look like an evolution of their 2021 car......either genius or an "inside the box" thinking failure. Some really interesting touches..rear wing, floor ripples retained and developed,..... and it looks good as always.

Watching all these cars in testing and early races is going to be very interesting. Has anyone found a secret winning formula or will it be Merc vs RB again. It will be interesting to see what the RB car looks like.
Was thinking much the same.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

AeroDynamic wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 12:47
Brightened..

The rear lower suspension encasement is interesting. It looks like it will act to block air going over the top of the diffuser, but then maybe the rear arm is above and acts as a flap to help draw air through in conjunction with the beam wing. Would love a better look at this part of the car.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

De Jokke

hmm render car is way more beautiful than the showcar. But as long as it slays the opposition, I'm fine with it.

Red bull's silverstone shot showed a very refined car at the back, reminiscent of old rbr cars
https://i.imgur.com/5ghnqBD.jpeg

Merc looks bulky compared to that...
Last edited by De Jokke on 18 Feb 2022, 13:01, edited 2 times in total.
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!