Conceptual engine regulations

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Re: Conceptual engine regulations

Apexseal157 wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 19:47
to be fair you make a good point, obviously the prospect of v10s would make most fans drool, but i'd take a hybrid-less v6,v8 or v10, with synth fuel. my f1 fantasy is a rotary engined f1 car alongside an assortment of different layouts (v10s,v8s,v6s,inline 5?), but yh... not exactly realistic :-|
The rotary concept had been rendered obsolete more then one hundred years ago.

Apexseal157

saviour stivala wrote:
03 Mar 2024, 06:17
Apexseal157 wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 19:47
to be fair you make a good point, obviously the prospect of v10s would make most fans drool, but i'd take a hybrid-less v6,v8 or v10, with synth fuel. my f1 fantasy is a rotary engined f1 car alongside an assortment of different layouts (v10s,v8s,v6s,inline 5?), but yh... not exactly realistic :-|
The rotary concept had been rendered obsolete more then one hundred years ago.
they may have been rendered obsolete but to say 100 years ago is crazy, they where killed though regulation but the concept is sound, rotarys offer great power density, low weight, smooth delivery and in racing applications make good power (especially when asperated) keep in mind highly modified turbo 13b's can make over 1000hp (2 rotors, 1.3l (equal to a 2.6l 4 cylinder engine) and turbo 4 rotors can make well over 1500hp. the major drawbacks are reliablity (due to poor development compared to piston motors), cooling and I dont think they can be stress bearing members.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

"My fantasy is a rotary engined F1 car" If it wasn't for you being a shade more specific re your dream type of rotary engine in your answer we would have been as far apart as could be in our understanding of what we were talking about. It would have been more helpful for others to understand what you were actually talking about if you said "A Wankel engined F1, (the pistonless rotary engine).

Apexseal157

saviour stivala wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 18:02
"My fantasy is a rotary engined F1 car" If it wasn't for you being a shade more specific re your dream type of rotary engine in your answer we would have been as far apart as could be in our understanding of what we were talking about. It would have been more helpful for others to understand what you were actually talking about if you said "A Wankel engined F1, (the pistonless rotary engine).
This seems so pedantic, what other kind of "rotary engine" did you think I was talking about? Wankle and Rotary are often used interchangeably so whats the problem. If you're thinking about radial engines and conflating them with rotaries/wankle that's not an issue with my post.

Farnborough
Farnborough

saviour stivala wrote:
A bit pedantic considering the forum identifying image for "apexseal" is a Mazda 787b Le Mans winning car and forum name identifying a critical component of that engine type :roll:

There's enough information to establish that by "Rotary" its meant about that engine type commonly, as well as by inventor's name.

Stunning car by the way Apexseal, the 787b. I saw them race and more recently at Goodwood festival of speed event. Proper mind warping sound and charisma in that one.

Apexseal157

Farnborough wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 00:32
saviour stivala wrote:
A bit pedantic considering the forum identifying image for "apexseal" is a Mazda 787b Le Mans winning car and forum name identifying a critical component of that engine type :roll:

There's enough information to establish that by "Rotary" its meant about that engine type commonly, as well as by inventor's name.

Stunning car by the way Apexseal, the 787b. I saw them race and more recently at Goodwood festival of speed event. Proper mind warping sound and charisma in that one.
couldn't agree more, saw a 787b at lemans classic and you could FEEL it coming, the Panoz was the same, Le Mans is special for that sort of thing.

Farnborough
Farnborough

A favourite clip of 787b

Think it was Johnny Herbert demo-ing then.

Apexseal157

Farnborough wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 01:35
A favourite clip of 787b

Think it was Johnny Herbert demo-ing then.
Brilliant! just ear-splitting, the 3 rotor 767 made a gnarly sound as well,

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Apexseal157 wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 00:01
saviour stivala wrote:
This seems so pedantic, what other kind of "rotary engine" did you think I was talking about? Wankle and Rotary are often used interchangeably so whats the problem. If you're thinking about radial engines and conflating them with rotaries/wankle that's not an issue with my post.
I am sorry to have irked you to the point of offending me, by believing that I was trying to correct you, which rest assured I was not. What happened was I read your post "My fantasy is a 'rotary engined F1 car'' and having quite some years ago myself machined all parts and build a 1/4 scale working model of the famous Bentley BR1, My mind raced, "does this guy really means a rotary engined F1 car?''. And then I read your second post with 'your' added hints as to what you really meant in your first post. Sorry to have irked you, wasn't my intention.

Apexseal157

saviour stivala wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 05:40
Apexseal157 wrote:
saviour stivala wrote:
I am sorry to have irked you to the point of offending me, by believing that I was trying to correct you, which rest assured I was not. What happened was I read your post "My fantasy is a 'rotary engined F1 car'' and having quite some years ago myself machined all parts and build a 1/4 scale working model of the famous Bentley BR1, My mind raced, "does this guy really means a rotary engined F1 car?''. And then I read your second post with 'your' added hints as to what you really meant in your first post. Sorry to have irked you, wasn't my intention.
It's fine mate, we all have good and bad moments, yesterday I was on a bit of a tear, I didn't want to offend you and I wasn't overly aggrieved by your posts, I just thought it was pedantic. I think this is a case of good old misunderstanding. Very impressive that you build a br1 model 👏 although it would be hilarious to have a radial engined race car! How would that even look lol

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

''How would that even look?'' But now it is a 'RADIAL' and not a 'ROTARY'. If interested to see how it (a radial) looks, have a look at the 1935 Monaco Trossi Grand Prix race car at ''OLD MACHINE). It was a front wheel drive powered by an air cooled 16 cylinder 2T 2 row 'radial'. Another one but this time with the 8 cylinder 2t air cooled radial laying flat, could be seen at 'axis of oversteer' march 3 2014 'mysterious radial engined car by AC.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

The Wankel (piston-less) type of 'ROTOR' engine which some calls a 'ROTARY' engine is in fact a 'ROTOR' engine and not a 'ROTARY' engine. On the other hand a 'ROTARY' four stroke piston engine is totally of different concept to that of a 'Radial' four stroke piston engine. The 'ROTARY" cylinder block, cylinders, cylinder heads and anything bolted to the above rotates around a stationery crankshaft.

gruntguru
gruntguru

Apexseal157 wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 16:11
keep in mind highly modified turbo 13b's can make over 1000hp (2 rotors, 1.3l (equal to a 2.6l 4 cylinder engine)
A 13B has an actual displacement of 3.9 litres per thermodynamic cycle. This is why rotaries (seem to) make so much power. They do have lots of other advantages - power/weight, power/volume, vibration free etc. Just not power/displacement or power/fuel used (BSFC).
je suis charlie

DenBommer
DenBommer

I would like to see a V8 engine with superlubricity on the crankshaft and the exhaust/engine block equipped with carbon fiber nanotubes to convert heat into energy to power the electric motors. I would also place an MGU-K on both the front and rear axles.

Whether this is truly feasible is, of course, another story.

maxxer
maxxer

Apexseal157 wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 13:33
saviour stivala wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 05:40
Apexseal157 wrote:

It's fine mate, we all have good and bad moments, yesterday I was on a bit of a tear, I didn't want to offend you and I wasn't overly aggrieved by your posts, I just thought it was pedantic. I think this is a case of good old misunderstanding. Very impressive that you build a br1 model 👏 although it would be hilarious to have a radial engined race car! How would that even look lol
How would you fix the rotary problems like the flooding ? And the issue with the bearings ? I almost did buy a mazda.
Till i read that for short trips engine would flood after stopping and then the seals/bearing issue