Engine block aluminum vs compacted graphite iron CGI

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
gruntguru
gruntguru

Re: Engine block aluminum vs compacted graphite iron CGI

Tommy Cookers wrote:
15 Jan 2024, 14:15
F1 has lower peak cylinder pressures ? (than previous turbo F1)
Probably not.
je suis charlie

Rodak
Rodak

Tommy Cookers wrote:
15 Jan 2024, 14:15
saviour stivala wrote:
14 Jan 2024, 22:54
...As long as formula 1 engine designers can achieve their projected aims/targets with the lighter in weight of two metals they will certainly specify the lighter of the two. The formula 1 90 degree vee all aluminum engines have extreme structural stiffness.
F1 fixes engine dimensions that help in the use of aluminium alloys (many previous F1 turbos eg Honda were iron-block)
F1 has lower peak cylinder pressures ? (than previous turbo F1)
F1 has (iirc) quite low coolant temperatures
The maximum allowed pressure of the cooling system is 3.75 bar, which, with water, equates to 140°C (285°F) boiling point. The pressure limit was put in to prevent teams from running even higher temperatures/pressures. A large delta T aids heat rejection and would allow smaller radiators; I don't believe F1 engines run 'quite low coolant temperatures'.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

saviour stivala wrote:
09 Jan 2024, 21:43
Martin Keene wrote:
09 Jan 2024, 14:18
saviour stivala wrote:
08 Jan 2024, 15:17

No we are not talking about different things, the problem is the thing called 'BED-PLATE', the one you are showing (KOHLER PHOTO), that yes, it contains the crankshaft lower bearing halves, YES you are right that it is referred to as a 'BED-PLATE', but it is different from the lower part of the formula 1 engine called the 'LOWER SUMP', The difference is the formula 1 lower sump not only also contains the lower half crank main bearing but it also is closed bottom, meaning it catches/contains the oil inside it, that is before the oil is scavenged. The one you show is called a 'BED-PLAT' because the lower half main bearings are cast in, it is not called a lower sump because it has an open bottom which is closed by a normal sump. The other type of 'BED-PLATE' I was originally talking about is also closed bottom and apart from lower main bearing halves being cast or built-in, the crankshaft is held into it by removable main bearing caps bolted down onto it and it completely supports the engine.
Ah, I see, I was talking specifically about bedplates, not in relation to F1 engines. I am not sure what I'd call the bottom half of an F1 block, like you say it is not a bedplate because it is open, equally I am not lower sump is right either because that doesn't imply structural support of the crank. Probably crankcase lower half, similar to motorcycle terminology is probably best fit.
Yes. agree and thank you. Best fit terminology crankcase lower half/lower crankcase similar to motorcycle terminology. Because after all it is all down to prevalence/terminology of the subject/make at hand being talked about. The poster kicking off all this was originally talking matters belonging to the (TJ 3.0 LITRE V10) by using terminology/prevalence of some other make/different type of engine. One can say that there is not much wrong in it at all, but in a technical discussion attributing the wrong/non normal name to a part can lead others on the wrong understanding of the function of part in question.
All that to argue terminology? :roll: