Wow, mods are one sided

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
ValeVida46

Re: Wow, mods are one sided

vorticism wrote:
10 Sep 2023, 18:30
Hollus, where is the post you deleted? You're abusing your mod privileges again (again). You sent me another PM where you conflate criticism of you with "abuse." Receipt below. It was simply asked: "How can quote posting users be considered secretive when they get notifications, and why would such an odd statement be used as a pretext for a ban?"

That's not abuse, hollus, that's a simple question about your practices here i.e. making up rules to suit your goals. As for actual abuse, I await your next expletive and exclamation laden DM.

Readers can note this is how he games his mod privileges. I am now at 1 warning with that last post, presumably this post will put me at 2. Neither of these posts contravened the rules, hollus simply uses them as fake infractions in order to rack up warnings to get to a ban.

https://i.postimg.cc/90wJ8n10/Screen-Sh ... -04-AM.png
Your post literally reads as abuse of a Mod.
That you are making it public... :roll:

AeroDynamic

vorticism wrote:
Hollus, where is the post you deleted? You're abusing your mod privileges again (again). You sent me another PM where you conflate criticism of you with "abuse." Receipt below. It was simply asked: "How can quote posting users be considered secretive when they get notifications, and why would such an odd statement be used as a pretext for a ban?"

That's not abuse, hollus, that's a simple question about your practices here i.e. making up rules to suit your goals. As for actual abuse, I await your next expletive and exclamation laden DM.

Readers can note this is how he games his mod privileges. I am now at 1 warning with that last post, presumably this post will put me at 2. Neither of these posts contravened the rules, hollus simply uses them as fake infractions in order to rack up warnings to get to a ban.

Same experience with at least 2 mods

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

AeroDynamic wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 13:10
vorticism wrote:

Same experience with at least 2 mods
Likewise.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

JaF - I deleted your last post - it was a straight duplicate. Have seen you've had a couple other double-tap posts too.

Ref some of these last posts - What's the point being made? Is moderation so 'bad'?

Reading the reports from the silent majority of posters who come here, read and consume, rarely post as to do so invites pile-ons from one or more of the clique - it should be obvious that there is behaviour in the place that does need to be called out and addressed as and when it can be managed.

Were there more considered, technically based posts, and less of the ad hominem, perhaps the wider forum blood pressure would be less?

Leave your politics at the door. Don't be talking trash and as per Wyld Stallions - Be excellent to each other.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

chrisc90

CMSMJ1 wrote:
12 Sep 2023, 11:37

Ref some of these last posts - What's the point being made? Is moderation so 'bad'?
What do you think they are addressing or discussing?

Is there no coincidence that there are 4-6 members (some originally via PM to others) supporting or noting similar experiences in the post from Vorticism (and the deleted one too)??

One or 2 might be a isolated off chance - but when there are numerous cases - does it not set alarm bells off that there might be something else at cause?

Wouter

CMSMJ1 wrote:
The point here is that it is always the same moderator who makes questionable decisions. You know very well who it is.

I'll give you an example.
Just moments before the Zandvoort GP started, the King of the Netherlands was interviewed on the grid for the F1 broadcast, with the Queen and his daughters in the background. I posted a photo of that. It was removed shortly afterwards. When I asked why, I got the answer:
"Well, is that of interest to anyone not Dutch?
Likely to be removed as off topic."

After the race someone posted a picture of the king congratulating Max. It was not removed. I asked why it wasn't removed. The answer was:
"And clearly, a pic of the just winner of the grand prix receiving whatever from the highest local protocol figure, is more on topic.
Anyways, I might be wrong and you are of course more that welcome to discuss it with stu, or any other mod, there is even a “moderators” group selectable when writing a PM. Or Steven, he is the ringmaster after all."

I then replied: "Thank you for explaining to me that BEFORE the race nobody outside the Netherlands is interested in the Dutch king being present and then AFTER the race those same people [outside the Netherlands] are suddenly interested in the Dutch king being present during the Dutch GP."
The answer I got back was: "Misinterpret all you want."

I didn't think it was worth going on about this any longer, but it is a double standard and he does that often.
One person is allowed to post something and the other person is not allowed to post something.
It is entirely up to him that he is not interested in the Dutch royal family (neither am I by the way) and calls the king
"a highest local protocol figure" but it's not about whether he doesn't think it's important that the king is there.
Max thought it was a great honor that the king and his family were there on Saturday and Sunday! That's what it was all about!
But I wasn't allowed to post that.

I think it is absurd that I must always check my messages three times to see if it will be tolerated by him before I post something
and that has been the case for years, because I received several very unjustified warning in the past.
The Power of Dreams!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

CMSMJ1 wrote:
JaF - I deleted your last post - it was a straight duplicate. Have seen you've had a couple other double-tap posts too.
Hadn't noticed. I'll keep an eye out for any more. Thanks.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

hollus

The last weeks I've had very limited time for the forum, and one of the lessons learnt from the clashes involved in the posts above is that, when I have limited time, I find it hard to add context and my communication often sounds snappy, so I refrained from intervening for a while. Now I have more time, so...

I am not sure that getting into a he said - she said match is the correct thing to do, but certainly feeling like the target in a shooting practice gallery is not nice either, so here goes some of my side of the story.
Also, I think some of these things are good to explain in public for everyone.

First of all, a lot of people seem to take exception to the tone of my messages. I'll take that as constructive criticism, probably there is some room for improvement there, and one can never try too hard to hit that just right tone.

Second, regarding post deletions: it is a mod's job to sometimes delete posts. As few as possible, but not too few. Like a referee in a football game, whistling too much is bad. But then, so is whistling too little. But how to get it right? The only way to ensure never deleting too much is sometimes deleting too little, and the only way to not delete too little is risking deleting too much. Well, we try, but please accept that it is sometimes borderline or gray, and almost always open to interpretation. A mod that has to walk on egg shells is not a very effective mod.

With that out, I'd like to address a few personally:

=====================================================
@Vorticism:
That's not what happened, those are not my words that are being addressed and those were not the reasons for past bans and warnings (I am including the deleted post).
So, now you have said your part in public, and I have said mine. Continue by PM if you wish, but not here, please.

As a general forum rule since like forever: Sharing PMs in public is not welcome in general, and sharing them to make someone look bad is normally not tolerated. Doing that is a sure way to get your post deleted. The P in PM stands for Private. Obviously there are contexts where sharing one, with good intentions and to help communication is OK. It is never OK as part of a personal feud.

====================================================
@ Wouter:
First, thanks for keeping it polite, it helps with having a conversation.

Then, a bit for everyone for this part: it gets a bit frustrating to be selectively quoted, with a few lines picked out of context. It is very easy to make anyone look bad with "C and G were said!". If in reality A, B, C, D, E, F, G and H were said... well, context often matters.

So: "Just moments before the Zandvoort GP started, the King of the Netherlands was interviewed on the grid for the F1 broadcast, with the Queen and his daughters in the background. I posted a photo of that. "
Yeah, not really. I mean, yes, but this particular clash started well before that, on the sunday before the Dutch GP, with this post from you:
The Dutch King Willem Alexander and the King of kickboxers Rico Verhoeven attended the qualification. :lol:

I removed that post, and I also felt like explaining why, so I quickly fired this PM:
Way too local, way too off topic.
That's all I wrote, I actually forgot to say that I was deleting the post. I was on holidays, with extremely little time for the forum (but I wanted to read the race thread, it was bad enough that I had to miss the race), and on my phone, with little time, I fired that message, quick and short. As said above, maybe writing in a hurry is not the best idea.

You then replied with this:
Wouter wrote: Why is this off topic? It is a great honour that the King attends the qualification.
This was just a funny picture of him. I could not find a serious one of him. He laughed at every picture.

Is this one allowed? The King with his family before the race on the grid?

Fair enough, but frankly, it went downhill from there, the daughter of the king came later, so please, don't paint me like an oger that hates the dutch royal family and deleted that post out of the blue (that said I would likely have found that picture off topic, most likely, depends on context and accompanying text).

I'll take the liberty to share my PM reply too (still on a phone with limited time) after the post with the king being interviewed :
hollus wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 00:12
I was just providing feedback.
“Is that allowed”?
Well, is that of interest to anyone not dutch?

Allowed? Yes.
Likely to be removed as off topic? Yes.
Again, maybe too short, too direct. But actually, I stand by the content. We do not see pictures of the royals of any given country before the race, as a general thing. If it is off topic is of course a matter of interpretation, and that was my interpretation.

Now, it got a bit bizarre, and I'll stop sharing details (PMs are private). But you openend with "You have again deleted my picture of the Dutch king...". To which I have to say, that no, I did not delete any second picture, there was no "again". I can also not find any trail of any other pic deletions in that thread. I did say in a PM that I was likely to delete it, but I did not delete any other than the one with the wrestler! I also had no time to explain, holidays and phone and that.
Anyways, you seemed to get a bit more agitated and to take exception to this pic being allowed after the race:
First of all, it was ages before I saw that pic. Second, yes, really, Max in a picture after the race is more on topic on a race thread. Max is part of the race.
Then in a separate PM pics of the royal family at the race, with race people (Horner, etc) were used as an example of other media and FOM live feed being OK with it... yes, I get the point, but what other media is interested on and what this forum is about are two different things.

anyways... I reply in another PM with some explanation of why I found some off topic and others less so (this time in 7 lines), and as a reply I get 2 PMs which I interpreted as ignoring my explanations and being accused of being biased against the dutch royal family (I am reading into the context of the PMs here).

To that, I replied:
"Misinterpret all you want."
And well, that was the wrong tone from me, I should not have written that and I apologize. It is possible that I misinterpreted. The tone is wrong in any case, I should have taken the time to explain.

...because I received several very unjustified warning in the past.
You've received exactly two warnings in the past. Long ago and 9 months apart. And both included an explanation of why. You are welcome to disagree on them, but justifications were included.

================================================================

@ Chris:
Found similar the other week…. Which led to a length discussion with the mod team - whether those views ended up being collective or sole opinion I don’t know.
Followed by
...and it essentially boiled down to not having a native language of English and one does all the ‘heavy work’ and takes no bull in the posts.
I mean, that is saying that H was said when ABCDEFGHIJKL was said. Fished out the most irrelevant part of several messages.
My warning did contain 8 lines of explanation and an itemized list; after a reply from you, I added 7 more lines of feedback by PM. You reply ignoring many of my points, and I added and 3 more lines of feedback in yet another PM.
You disagreed and PM's me and other mods (totally right thing to do, actually I suggested it).
Then one of those mods replies to you in long detail, 42 lines of text.
Once more, most points go ignored and now you pick out that simple side point above?

It feels a bit futile to take time to explain things in that is the reaction.

===============================================

In summary, it is bloody hard to hit the right level of feedback as a mod. Too little or none, some people get annoyed. Too much, some people get offended. The right tone and detail level would be different for everyone, but it is very hard to guess the correct ones. We try nonetheless and inevitably, we'll get it wrong sometimes.

I am one of the most active mods here. For years I tried a very soft stance (someone else was carrying the bad cop badge). With time, I concluded that it was too soft and I am trying a bit more direct and harsh now. Too much? Possibly, I am only trying my best. Finding the right level is always work in progress. Lots of people find us too soft, so...
From that side and to some, it looks like I am bring aggressive.
From this side and with many, it feels like well intentioned feedback is being ignored and then taken as adversarial.
C'est la vie!

Constructive criticism is welcome and can be used to improve. But, please, bashing, not so welcome, not so nice, and not leading to anything good.
Rivals, not enemies.

chrisc90

There was no fishing of certain points from me at all.

You issued a warning - quoting 15 or so posts of mine that you said were being ‘negative’ and ‘aiming to provoke’. I completely disagreed and challenge you to justify each post, but yet you couldn’t. As I said in PM - if your going to use posts to justify a warning, then you should be able to explain each one. The fact that other mods agreed that those posts weren’t negative or provoking others proves the point. Surely that becomes a case of ABCDEFGH but only picking out E.
The response I got from the other mod, whether it was a collective or personal opinion is what it boiled down to.

It would be pointless to detail the hundreds of other lines of text between people when this thread is about one of the things mentioned. Would it be relevant to include say 35 lines of text that were discussion your original warning and quoted posts from myself you picked out on here and expect it to be in line with the topic of this discussion? I think not.

Clearly you didn’t read the rest of the PMs I sent back and forth to the ‘moderators group’ given I gave a detailed discussion to each of the points raised. Please - don’t pick out certain information to paint a picture for your comments against members. (If you really wanted I can share those PMs on here to give the correct context and no evidence of nit-picking points)

hollus

I refer back to the PM trail, Chris.
You can say "not so", and I can say "not so". It leads nowhere.
Clearly we are not going to agree, and that is OK. I just wanted to have my say too.
Rivals, not enemies.

chrisc90

hollus wrote:
12 Sep 2023, 20:22
I refer back to the PM trail, Chris.
You can say "not so", and I can say "not so". It leads nowhere.
Clearly we are not going to agree, and that is OK. I just wanted to have my say too.
More than welcome to have your say - I have you that opportunity to explain all of your reasons for each of my weeks worth of quoted posts but you failed to do so. I gave you a selection of quoted posts to reply to but you failed to do so, infact stating:
Of course any single post in isolation is OK, each one could be part of a honest discussion, which is why (some of them) still are up.

The pattern is clear, and the it is no longer a discussion, though.

The only explanation needed, you already have, twice:

"Dropping by to always drop a negative is trolling and stirring. Either way, please stop the systematic trolling and stirring."
If members aren’t adult enough to engage in discussion, then that isn’t a problem from myself, is it is the problem of the responder, if any.

Such discussion did lead to nowhere, with yourself, and I referred it to others, who took the time to reply.

However, please, don’t make a full post using ABCDEFG…Z to justify yourself when you select certain points too. It totally defeats it all - because it isn’t what happened.

On the flip side - we all adults on here (presumably) so hopefully there can be a level of discussion and debate on certain topics, Whether it’s Lewis/Totos comments about Max’s records only being good for Wikipedia, helmut markos comments on Sergio, or the slander we see between each of the Ferrari drivers in the team forum.
Once the discussion ends up being the same over and over - it’s time to step in - but before that, maybe it’s worth letting others have their 50p opinion (within reason) and allowing the next guy to respond to that in a decent manner - debating facts if there is to do so.

I too, am out, however I won’t let someone paint a picture of myself after a scenario that was made out to be incorrect - that is not fair

Wouter

hollus wrote:
12 Sep 2023, 19:54
@ Wouter:
First, thanks for keeping it polite, it helps with having a conversation.

Then, a bit for everyone for this part: it gets a bit frustrating to be selectively quoted, with a few lines picked out of context. It is very easy to make anyone look bad with "C and G were said!". If in reality A, B, C, D, E, F, G and H were said... well, context often matters.

So: "Just moments before the Zandvoort GP started, the King of the Netherlands was interviewed on the grid for the F1 broadcast, with the Queen and his daughters in the background. I posted a photo of that. "

Yeah, not really. I mean, yes, but this particular clash started well before that, on the sunday before the Dutch GP, with this post from you:
The Dutch King Willem Alexander and the King of kickboxers Rico Verhoeven attended the qualification. :lol:

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4hT5i6W4AAZ ... name=small
I removed that post, and I also felt like explaining why, so I quickly fired this PM:
Way too local, way too off topic.
That's all I wrote, I actually forgot to say that I was deleting the post. I was on holidays, with extremely little time for the forum (but I wanted to read the race thread, it was bad enough that I had to miss the race), and on my phone, with little time, I fired that message, quick and short. As said above, maybe writing in a hurry is not the best idea.

You then replied with this:
Wouter wrote: Why is this off topic? It is a great honour that the King attends the qualification.
This was just a funny picture of him. I could not find a serious one of him. He laughed at every picture.

Is this one allowed? The King with his family before the race on the grid?

https://imgur.com/WulBunx.jpg
Fair enough, but frankly, it went downhill from there, the daughter of the king came later, so please, don't paint me like an oger that hates the dutch royal family and deleted that post out of the blue (that said I would likely have found that picture off topic, most likely, depends on context and accompanying text).

I'll take the liberty to share my PM reply too (still on a phone with limited time) after the post with the king being interviewed :
hollus wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 00:12
I was just providing feedback.
“Is that allowed”?
Well, is that of interest to anyone not dutch?

Allowed? Yes.
Likely to be removed as off topic? Yes.
Again, maybe too short, too direct. But actually, I stand by the content. We do not see pictures of the royals of any given country before the race, as a general thing. If it is off topic is of course a matter of interpretation, and that was my interpretation.

Now, it got a bit bizarre, and I'll stop sharing details (PMs are private). But you openend with "You have again deleted my picture of the Dutch king...". To which I have to say, that no, I did not delete any second picture, there was no "again". I can also not find any trail of any other pic deletions in that thread. I did say in a PM that I was likely to delete it, but I did not delete any other than the one with the wrestler! I also had no time to explain, holidays and phone and that.
==================================================================================================

@Hollus, you put me in an awkward position because I am not allowed to share your PMs here. Can I understand, but that way I can't prove anything either, because you are twisting things. I am, of course, allowed to share MY PMs here. I give myself permission to do so.
You leave me no choice. I do have to send part of your PM because you claim you only deleted one picture, when you yourself
admitted you deleted two in your PM reply. I don't like it when someone accuses me falsely.

You removed a picture of me from the king TWO times! TWO times and not one time!!
Wouter wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 10:51
You have again deleted my picture of the Dutch king! You argue that no one outside the Netherlands is interested in this! #-o And you find it Off Topic! :roll:

That is why the F1/FOM also featured the king several times during the live broadcast, even Queen Maxima when she spoke Spanish to Alonso. Those people aren't Dutch!!

It was a huge honor for Max that the king and his family were present at the race and also walked across the grid. You deleted that photo too! Nonsense to say that this is off topic!

That the king was present goes all over www. Everyone thinks it's a great honor for Max that he was present for two days and congratulated him exuberantly, except YOU.
You deleted it because YOU are not interested in it. A moderator is supposed to be impartial, did you know that?
A piece of your answer was:

Sent: 28 Aug 2023, 22:00
by hollus
Hi Wouter.
Sorry if I touched a soft spot, but it is literally a mod’s job to set the line on when something is too far off topic in a forum or a thread.
In my opinion those two are.

You wrote above, I marked it red:
"You have again deleted my picture of the Dutch king...". To which I have to say, that no, I did not delete any second picture,
there was no "again".
I can also not find any trail of any other pic deletions in that thread."

The first one you removed was the one with the King and his bodygard Rico Verhoeven
and the second one you removed was this one:

The Power of Dreams!

hollus

Wouter: in my opinion, those two pictures are off topic.
Yet, I only deleted one, I never saw the second one posted, only in your PM to me.

I have no idea what happened about the second deletion. Let me check again…

So… I have that joking wrestling picture deleted at 10:31. The link is there (soft deleted) but it won’t work for you:
viewtopic.php?p=1154928#p1154928

Then, at 2PM this is in the thread:
viewtopic.php?p=1155014#p1155014
So you actually posted that pic with king and microphone after all, and it stayed. I don’t think I saw it at the time. Is that the pic supposed to include wife and daughter?

And then I don’t see any second deleted picture. Not in the Dutch GP thread, and not in your posting history. Is this a giant misunderstanding?
Rivals, not enemies.

TimW
TimW

I may be weird, but I don't visit F1 technical to read endless bickering on which driver used worse language against his mechanic, on if Helmut's prejudice is racism or worse racism, or for the most recent update on the Dutch Royal Family (and I'm Dutch).

And thinking 3 times before you post is actually good general advice, should be in the forum guidelines :D

chrisc90

TimW wrote:
12 Sep 2023, 23:05
I may be weird, but I don't visit F1 technical to read endless bickering on which driver used worse language against his mechanic, on if Helmut's prejudice is racism or worse racism, or for the most recent update on the Dutch Royal Family (and I'm Dutch).

And thinking 3 times before you post is actually good general advice, should be in the forum guidelines :D
It is near impossible to keep a race or team thread purely technical. That’ll be why they are in the General section of the forum.
. Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
There will always be some non-technical chit chat about the forum. Inevitable.