Wow, mods are one sided

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Zynerji

Re: Wow, mods are one sided

Mods were pretty one sided (and incorrect) with the COVID hysteria here as well.

When humans are involved, the petty tyrants will emerge. 🤷‍♂️

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Zynerji wrote:
13 Sep 2023, 00:12
Mods were pretty one sided (and incorrect) with the COVID hysteria here as well.

Now... Less of that! 😲

COVID is it's own massive pile of off topic. Leave the tin foil headgear with the Reddit lunatics.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

The post by Hollus, in my view, is a very well put explanation. As a long time forum member I appreciate that.

It is a huge distraction when there are few members calling out the moderation team, and specifically a single mod who is trying to support the running of this place for the benefit of all.

We do encourage PM. Bring your issues to the moderation group.

I'll not directly add fuel to the fire and rebut some of the specific arguments in the previous posts but would counsel my fellow forumites to consider what this title for tat isn't giving life to the place, it's sucking oxygen out of it.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Zynerji

CMSMJ1 wrote:
13 Sep 2023, 00:46
Zynerji wrote:
13 Sep 2023, 00:12

Now... Less of that! 😲

COVID is it's own massive pile of off topic. Leave the tin foil headgear with the Reddit lunatics.
Thanks for proving my point. 🙄

Zynerji

I think it's more a problem of trying to stuff things into cookie-cutter categories that don't fit anything outside technical topics (seems obvious).

Bicameralizing the forum may seem silly at first, but reducing the technical posts to a single forum, while expanding the off-topic chat (and light moderation) to the current boards would rebalance the system, and fix it for good.

I LOVE ❤️ 😍 the highly technical threads here. The amount of effort contributed by the members is heart-stopping to most professionals, and I highly value that they are willing to share their wisdom so openly and at their personal expense of time.

But there simply isn't enough of them to force the restrictions that the structure enforces along the periphery.

This could be the best swimming hole on the internet. We just need to move the diving boards to deeper water.

RZS10

Hollus sent me this DM once and i feel entitled to - no, i DEMAND - answers !!!

TimW
TimW

chrisc90 wrote:
12 Sep 2023, 23:36
TimW wrote:
12 Sep 2023, 23:05
I may be weird, but I don't visit F1 technical to read endless bickering on which driver used worse language against his mechanic, on if Helmut's prejudice is racism or worse racism, or for the most recent update on the Dutch Royal Family (and I'm Dutch).

And thinking 3 times before you post is actually good general advice, should be in the forum guidelines :D
It is near impossible to keep a race or team thread purely technical. That’ll be why they are in the General section of the forum.
. Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
There will always be some non-technical chit chat about the forum. Inevitable.
Yes there will be. I also make non-technical posts. But there is a difference between non-technical and totally irrelevant or endless off-topic ping-pong.
For example: what Helmut Marco said about Perez I consider relevant. It may affect team dynamics, his performance and wether or not he will be driving for RB in the future. But then a few posters make it into a many page discussion on how bad a person he is, along tribal lines, repeating the same arguments over and over.
This makes the whole RB team thread unreadable. Other relevant posts will go unnoticed because they drown in the sea of off-topic posts. Or they will not be posted because users avoid the thread, or even this forum.
So for those cases I applaud moderation.

ValeVida46

TimW wrote:
13 Sep 2023, 06:47
Yes there will be. I also make non-technical posts. But there is a difference between non-technical and totally irrelevant or endless off-topic ping-pong.
For example: what Helmut Marco said about Perez I consider relevant. It may affect team dynamics, his performance and wether or not he will be driving for RB in the future. But then a few posters make it into a many page discussion on how bad a person he is, along tribal lines, repeating the same arguments over and over.
This makes the whole RB team thread unreadable. Other relevant posts will go unnoticed because they drown in the sea of off-topic posts. Or they will not be posted because users avoid the thread, or even this forum.
So for those cases I applaud moderation.
You've probably never visited the Mercedes team thread :lol:
It's been happening there for months if not years.
If positive discourse is to be had there needs to be a consistent view on it. Red bull team threads have been a pretty serene place to visit until Marko's idiocy.

Perhaps entirely because other tribes don't frequent their thread posting an average 7 times daily about what their personal feelings are regarding the team it's drivers and staff. Note, it's absolutley par for the course to criticise.
But Ad Nauseum repeat shiteposting attacking a team week in week out can either be confined to a couple of teams, or it should be dealt with consistently for all teams. As the mods stepped in heavily on the RB thread, it might be worth taking a look at some other threads and see there is actually a very inconsistent approach right now.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

ValeVida46 wrote:
13 Sep 2023, 10:04
It's been happening there for months if not years.
If positive discourse is to be had there needs to be a consistent view on it. Red bull team threads have been a pretty serene place to visit until Marko's idiocy.

Perhaps entirely because other tribes don't frequent their thread posting an average 7 times daily about what their personal feelings are regarding the team it's drivers and staff. Note, it's absolutley par for the course to criticise.
But Ad Nauseum repeat shiteposting attacking a team week in week out can either be confined to a couple of teams, or it should be dealt with consistently for all teams. As the mods stepped in heavily on the RB thread, it might be worth taking a look at some other threads and see there is actually a very inconsistent approach right now.
This a salient point - moderation is like stewarding of the races. All anyone of us want is consistency. The Merc (and to a degree W14) thread has been the playground for a small number of people that constantly dig at Merc's well known issues - not constructive discussion but little digs. And it's basically made the thread a snug for a handful of RB fans. Which is ironic when I think back to RB fans telling others to stay out of "their" thread a couple of years ago.

I've had plenty of runs-in with the mods, but it happens because of frustration at perceived inconsistency and thus a feeling of "why bother to behave if others don't have to?". Childish? Certainly. But even those of us in our 50s can be childish now and then. :oops:

And I must admit to a little taste of schadenfreude reading some of the stuff this week... :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Wouter

hollus wrote:
12 Sep 2023, 23:00
Wouter: in my opinion, those two pictures are off topic.
Yet, I only deleted one, I never saw the second one posted, only in your PM to me.

I have no idea what happened about the second deletion. Let me check again…

So… I have that joking wrestling picture deleted at 10:31. The link is there (soft deleted) but it won’t work for you:
viewtopic.php?p=1154928#p1154928

Then, at 2PM this is in the thread:
viewtopic.php?p=1155014#p1155014
So you actually posted that pic with king and microphone after all, and it stayed. I don’t think I saw it at the time. Is that the pic supposed to include wife and daughter?

And then I don’t see any second deleted picture. Not in the Dutch GP thread, and not in your posting history. Is this a giant misunderstanding?
A short resume and I want to leave it at that.

On Sunday morning, August 27, I posted a photo with King Willem Alexander and his bodyguard Rico Verhoeven at the circuit.
Hollus deleted this at 10:31 am. Agreed, no problem with that.

On Sunday afternoon before the race started, I posted a photo of the king being interviewed by the ViaPlay reporter who broadcasts F1 in the Netherlands. I saw on Sunday evening that this message had also been deleted. With the second photo that day.
Because I saw that someone else had also posted a photo of the king congratulating Max and it had not been removed,
I asked @Hollus why it was allowed to remain.
hollus wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 22:00
Hi Wouter.
Sorry if I touched a soft spot, but it is literally a mod's job to set the line on when something is too far off topic in a forum or a thread.
In my opinion those two are.
And clearly, a pic of the just winner of the grand prix receiving whatever from the highest local protocol figure, is more on topic.
Here it was confirmed by @Hollus that my two posts and two photos had been deleted.

Last night I was told in this topic by @Hollus that only one photo/message had been deleted and .....
the second message with photo was suddenly there again!! :wtf:

Several people saw that the message from Sunday August 27 at 3:00 PM had been deleted and now it is suddenly back.

There is no misunderstanding here as you call it.
I don't feel like getting into a yes/no game so I'll leave it at that.
The Power of Dreams!

TimW
TimW

ValeVida46 wrote:
13 Sep 2023, 10:04

That's exactly the issue, I want to, but the RB and Mercedes team threads are unreadable.........

LM10
LM10

I agree with hollus that a picture of the king and his bodyguard is off-topic, but him congratulating Max is on-topic. It's simple, really.

ValeVida46

Just_a_fan wrote:
13 Sep 2023, 10:28
This a salient point - moderation is like stewarding of the races. All anyone of us want is consistency. The Merc (and to a degree W14) thread has been the playground for a small number of people that constantly dig at Merc's well known issues - not constructive discussion but little digs. And it's basically made the thread a snug for a handful of RB fans. Which is ironic when I think back to RB fans telling others to stay out of "their" thread a couple of years ago.

I've had plenty of runs-in with the mods, but it happens because of frustration at perceived inconsistency and thus a feeling of "why bother to behave if others don't have to?". Childish? Certainly. But even those of us in our 50s can be childish now and then. :oops:

And I must admit to a little taste of schadenfreude reading some of the stuff this week... :lol:
Absolutely.

No team is beyond reproach, but when the "spotlight" shifts to Team X for a PR calamity, suddenly voicing an opinion is deemed trolling among that cohort with a heavy moderation presence.
Meanwhile Team Y's PR gets ripped apart for weeks on end for nothing more conspicuous than a team boss giving an update assessment.
When you step back, eliminate all the noise and view the 2 cases, the discrepancy is vast.

If i now go to Team X's thread and suggest their PR strategy was one of appeasement to a calamitous comment I'd get pilloried, accused of "snowflaking", "passive-aggressivity", "slander", "mob mentality" and conducting a "witch-hunt".
This is from making three posts in Team X's thread two of which were replies to mods. :lol:
Overreaction is an understatement. But it gives you a clear indication as to how long Team X has not been populated by Team Y fanbois.

However, Team Y can suffer the toxicity for months, and any opposition to that toxicity is met with comments as to whether English is my first language ](*,)

So from the precedent set in Team X's thread with concise and quick moderation, I look forward to the the exact same thing on Team Y's thread.
Otherwise Team Y fanbois can just mirror Team X fanbois and the race to the bottom will benefit nobody.

Wouter

LM10 wrote:
13 Sep 2023, 11:32
I agree with hollus that a picture of the king and his bodyguard is off-topic, but him congratulating Max is on-topic. It's simple, really.
I said I agreed to that too! You can read it in my post from this morning 10:51 am.
Hollus also stated that a picture of the king and queen before the race on the grid was off topic
and nobody outside The Netherlands is interested in it. So it was removed.

In 2021 he thought very different about this. This was before the race on raceday. It wasn't removed!

viewtopic.php?p=997696#p997696
The Power of Dreams!

dans79

Wouter wrote:
13 Sep 2023, 15:13
I said I agreed to that too! You can read it in my post from this morning 10:51 am.
As an aside time doesn't help finding a post unless the other person is in the same time zone as you. You might want to just give a link.
197 104 103 7