2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wouter

Re: 2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Can the Oracle Red Bull Racing pit crew complete a pit stop in pitch black conditions? The Team have done thousands of pit stops, whether that be in pit stop practice or during an actual race.
We asked Max Verstappen, Checo Perez, Team Principal, Christian Horner and some other members of the Team to guess
on how fast they could be. But, let's see how fast they actually are once we turn down the lights.
The Power of Dreams!

avantman
avantman

I keep hearing the narrative that RB19 (RB18 later in the season as well) was a very pointy car, and that's the reason behind Sergio Perez struggles, all his mistakes and ultimately pace deficit to Max.
But I just watch the onboards of Max driving on the limit, his pole laps and I just can't see it. Not rarely this car shows signs of understeer, but generally it looks more like neutrally balanced car in a variety of corners. Rear doesn't look unstable, car doesn't look edgy in normal dry conditions. Surely nothing similar to super edgy RB15 and RB16, nothing similar to RB16, where you can see even Max had to make a lot of corrections to keep rear at check.
Was RB19 a very pointy car, or is it just a narrative, that appeared few years back and was followed by Albon's revelations on Max setup preference(mind you, Albon has only driven RB15 and RB16, he hasn't tried RB18 and RB19 even on sim) pushed by certain media to make Verstappen achievements look less impressive, and diminish them ultimately. This is essentially the same narrative - they build the car for Max and his driving style, which his teammates can't drive as fast.

Juzh

It just seems perez cant handle any sort of oversteer. As soon as the car is able to turn into a corner he just falls apart. The fact he liked super understeer heavy early rb18 which behaved like a boat tells you all really.

avantman
avantman

Juzh wrote:
14 Dec 2023, 20:35
It just seems perez cant handle any sort of oversteer. As soon as the car is able to turn into a corner he just falls apart. The fact he liked super understeer heavy early rb18 which behaved like a boat tells you all really.

:) Not too bad for a driver that can't handle any sort of oversteer!

On a serious note. Sergio was on a record saying he doesn't like understeer, not many drivers like understeer. What he also said was that he needs with stable rear than Max, who can deal with very unstable rear much better.
Also, didn't he like the RB18 at the start of the year more simply because Max liked it less, was making uncharacteristically quite a few mistakes particularly in Q3 when pushing to the limit, which made Sergio look (just look) closer to Max pace in qualifying? In reality he wasn't as fast as Max neither at the start of the previous nor at the start of this season, particularly in races. Even when he looked as fast as Max in Monaco Q, he was holding Max back in race quite obviously. The same can be said about Baku.
Last year, Max made big mistakes either on his 1st runs(Saudi Arabia, Australia) in Q3(which compromised his approach to the 2nd runs) or 2nd runs(Miami), failing to improve whereas Perez improved his time. Only because of that Perez looked so close, almost on Max pace there, within 0.1s or so. On other occasions, where Max didn't make mistake in Quali, gaps were back to normal more or less - 0.37s in Bahrain, 1.8s in wet Imola(even if Max had upgrade there), 0.35s in Spain...
Baku was really the only exception this year as well, when Perez was Max pace or even slightly faster. But all of us know how historically strong and fast Perez was on that track. Even in 2021 he was on Max pace almost in qualifying and very close on race pace, and again similar to this year, Checo had lower tire deg on the 1st stint. That RB16/B surely wasn't understeery.

Sieper

Max had to try and shake off Checo in sector 1 and 2, asking a lot of the tires, and checo just came sailing back in sector 3 with that enormous tow and DRS. Baku is just a very weird track in that way. The one behind has a big advantage.

Wouter

Max wants to become a teamprincipal.
"Your companion Helmut Marko told Blick that you would start your own GT team immediately after your resignation?"

"Yes, that is my goal. I don't necessarily want to drive myself, but I want to build something big and give the talented people a chance.
That doesn't mean that I want to bring them into Formula 1, but I want to help them in racing.
I would be a no-bullshit principal for sure. Maybe a bit old-fashioned because everything is related to performance."
About Red Bull Verstappen.com Racing

December 2022.

In 2022, Red Bull and Verstappen.com joined forces to create Verstappen.com Racing X Red Bull. The initiative fueled by Max Verstappen’s passion for motorsport and desire to create a platform to bring different forms of motorsport together under one umbrella. The partnership with Red Bull is a direct result of the close relationship between Max and Red Bull, a relationship that is ever-growing into the future.

Max’s passion is bringing together racing projects from both the virtual and real world, creating a platform that is of interest to all different types of motorsport fans. Max’s interest in motorsport spans beyond just Formula One, which was the brainchild behind this project, to incorporate and expand the Verstappen name past Formula One and into GT3 racing, Rallying and Virtual Racing.

The Verstappen.com partnership with Red Bull is clearly visible in the co-designed logo, which incorporates the brand identities of both, symbolising the close relationship between Max and Red Bull.

Verstappen.com Racing’s mission is to integrate racing teams from both the virtual and real world and support these teams and drivers to maximize their potential.

Max Verstappen
As the co-founder and driving force behind Verstappen.com Racing, Max Verstappen is a double Formula One World Champion. With his back-to-back titles in 2021 and 2022, he has become part of a very select group of Formula 1 drivers in history while he is only just 25 years old. He is continuously breaking records in the pinnacle of Motorsport.
https://racing.verstappen.com/about/

He has several Ferrari 296 GT3 and Porsche GT3 cars.

The Power of Dreams!

organic

It's the same thing with sainz and Leclerc imo. Sainz is happy when he is doing better, but he judges that relative to his teammate. He's not necessarily unhappy with the balance of less understeer, in fact it seems all top drivers will say they don't like understeer, but he is more happy with the situation because it causes a smaller deficit

Same with Perez: when the car has a lot of understeer, max is closer to him and he's happy.

However when the car becomes balanced and the car turns in, max gets quicker but Sergio doesn't find as much time.. gap gets big.. Sergio pushes harder, risks more to find that deficit and makes mistakes leading to loss of confidence.. and the vicious cycle continues continues

gandharva

Bunch of crazy lads. Lovely! Sixpointsixtynine easily beaten.

/edit
way too late but...

Wouter

15 dec 2023 Talking Bull

Talking Bull, the Official Oracle Red Bull Racing Podcast, with HP Poly returns for another addition, and this time we are speaking
to Jonathan Wheatley and Rich Wolverson, two members of the Team who are heavily involved with our award-winning pit crew.
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

18 dec 2023 @redbullracing #GivesYouWings​​​ #F1​​​ #MaxVerstappen

2021, 2022 and now 2023! What a three years in Formula 1 it has been Max Verstappen. Winning his first-ever F1 title in dramatic fashion in Abu Dhabi, to dominating the last two seasons in the RB18 and the all-conquering RB19. However it is very much the same Max Verstappen that stepped into Oracle Red Bull Racing back in 2016, winning on his Team debut at the Spanish Grand Prix. We sit down with the reigning World Champion, his race engineer GP, Checo Perez and Christian to find out what they have learned about Max as he approaches his ninth season in the sport.
The Power of Dreams!

Espresso
Espresso

avantman wrote:
14 Dec 2023, 20:24
I keep hearing the narrative that RB19 (RB18 later in the season as well) was a very pointy car, and that's the reason behind Sergio Perez struggles, all his mistakes and ultimately pace deficit to Max.
But I just watch the onboards of Max driving on the limit, his pole laps and I just can't see it. Not rarely this car shows signs of understeer, but generally it looks more like neutrally balanced car in a variety of corners. Rear doesn't look unstable, car doesn't look edgy in normal dry conditions. Surely nothing similar to super edgy RB15 and RB16, nothing similar to RB16, where you can see even Max had to make a lot of corrections to keep rear at check.
Was RB19 a very pointy car, or is it just a narrative, that appeared few years back and was followed by Albon's revelations on Max setup preference(mind you, Albon has only driven RB15 and RB16, he hasn't tried RB18 and RB19 even on sim) pushed by certain media to make Verstappen achievements look less impressive, and diminish them ultimately. This is essentially the same narrative - they build the car for Max and his driving style, which his teammates can't drive as fast.
Difference is Checco needs time (and mileage) to get used to changes to the car whilst Max can adapt very fast to ‘another’ car.
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

organic

Espresso wrote:
19 Dec 2023, 02:27
avantman wrote:
14 Dec 2023, 20:24
Difference is Checco needs time (and mileage) to get used to changes to the car whilst Max can adapt very fast to ‘another’ car.
The car was barely upgraded this year and Checo's best performance came at a race wherein one of the larger upgrade packages was introduced. So the idea that Checo couldn't adapt to changes to the rb19 across the season doesn't really hold up

Sieper

It’s because people can never admit that Max actually is that good. There must constantly be thought up a whole plethora of reasons why he (can’t be) that good. He is. Was always clear and now that he has the car he is doing what I always knew he would be doing.

organic

Horner says that 2027 will be the first car made in the new wind tunnel
“A quirk of the regulations with wind tunnels being a thing of the future by all accounts, we’ve had to go with the times and invest in a new wind tunnel,” Horner said. “Construction will start during the course of 2024.

“You don’t want to introduce it in-season, you have to nominate a tunnel for the year, so it will be probably to do the ’27 car in.”
And on the limitation of the current wind tunnel
"And particularly with the wind tunnel that we have, which is a Cold War relic, and not particularly efficient, particularly in cold weather – which you tend to get a bit of in the UK – we have to be very, very selective."
https://racer.com/2023/12/18/red-bull-t ... l-in-2024/

Wouter

Do you have a timeframe in mind for the development of Verstappen.com Racing?

Max: “We’re very busy with that at the moment. The next step is our own GT3-team.
2024 is too tight, but I want to get it off the ground as soon as possible. A GT3-team in 2025 should be doable. With two cars.”

2025, that’s very soon.
Max: “We’re in full swing. The planning stage is over, we’re already making moves and taking action.”
Here you can read a long interview with Max.
The Power of Dreams!