2023 FIM MotoGP World Championship.

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
etusch

Re: 2023 FIM MotoGP World Championship.

Superb ride from Alex Rins. A lesson to other Honda riders. Congratulation to him.

Chuckjr

Can’t believe Bagnaia crashed again. He can’t seem to hold focus under pressure. Shame for the Ducati team as that bike is a winner.

Fantastic ride from Rins. He rode an exceptional race. Well done.
Watching F1 since 1986.

etusch

Bagnaia had said that their front brakes were locking but he had said he used to it during race in sprint race. So they lost their braking advantage.
Only one long straight but somehow they could not use "party mode" much. For example Marini chased Fabio long time until he decided to use it. I don't know if it is reliability concern or fuel comsuption ( more likely) that prevent ducati's to be so fast at straights. So no that much straight line speed advantage. Result is; Bagnaia was a hunt for Rins even if he could stay on the bike. Sunday was Rin's day.

Chuckjr

Forgive me but I’m new to MotoGP, so I’m not familiar yet. The party mode you speak of sounds like the party mode Merc enjoyed for some time in F1? When Marini passed Fabio late in the race it was like Fabio was standing still. It was crazy speed. The differential was incredible. I didn’t know about this party mode so when it happened I was like, my god what’s the guy been waiting for?? Lol. Are you saying all Ducati’s normally would have this advantage every straight? They would be untouchable. What is the issue in your opinion?

Thanks for explaining why Bagnaia lost it. That helps me understand why he threw another race away. Rins did awesome pushing him into the issue, and deserved the race. Amazing how many guys just crashed out. Must be a brutal track for bikes. Cheers.
Watching F1 since 1986.

etusch

There are mappings in motogp. I don't know if there is something like overtake button in f1. But ducati are very fast when they wanted to be faster at straights. They are normally faster compared to rivals but when needed they are more faster. So I think there is a button at ducati or a mapping for that but they are not using it always. If they use it everytime marini could easily win that race.

Bagnaia said he don't know why he fell. I read same from Bradle too. So it should be because of track conditions or maybe tyres

Chuckjr

You mentioned Ducati not using the boost may be a fuel issue. Are the tank sizes limited, or are teams allowed to make the tank a larger capacity? Or is it a balance issue, and more fuel would jack the handling/braking. Sorry, I don’t know the rules. It must be something very significant because his speed was outrageously faster. It looked like 2014 part 2. Lol.
Watching F1 since 1986.

etusch

If I don't remember wrong when first time open ecu introduced ducati was allowed to use 25 lt fuel while manufacturer who use own ecu are restricted with 20 lt fuel. At one of first race I remember that ducati was able to pass finish line and parked. Now everyone uses open ecu. I am not sure if fuel limit is 25 lt or 20 for everyone but yes there is a limit.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Yes, there is a limited fuel for all bikes.
The bikes are allowed to have 3 selectable maps - rider selected - and these are usually used and you will see a message on the rider dashboard reminding them to select it.

Mapping 2 - this would be a 'softer' map to take into account the tyre losing some of the grip and so preventing excessive spin

the Ducati has had a power advantage for quite some time and it is only relatively recently they made it also handle. The majority of bikes - all but Yamaha - are V4. Ducati have Desmodromic valve actuation.

Chuck - Motogp (and the moto3 class) has some of the best racing there is to see. moto2 struggles (in my view) but the last race was very good indeed. A classic head to head.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Chuckjr

I’m thrilled to have discovered it here at F1 Tech. What an awesome series. Top level drivers and almost every dude on the starting grid can win it. Just fantastic. Chalk another one up for the greatness this site has brought to my life. Cheers-🍻

Edit: Is there a movie or documentary you (or anyone for that matter) recommend to learn more about MotoGP series history, team history, and great drivers?
Watching F1 since 1986.

AMG.Tzan

Chuckjr wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 19:35
I’m thrilled to have discovered it here at F1 Tech. What an awesome series. Top level drivers and almost every dude on the starting grid can win it. Just fantastic. Chalk another one up for the greatness this site has brought to my life. Cheers-🍻

Edit: Is there a movie or documentary you (or anyone for that matter) recommend to learn more about MotoGP series history, team history, and great drivers?
Look for “Fast”, “Faster” and “Fastest” . They’re a bit hard to find really but they’re great!

Worst thing about MotoGP is that we have to pay 150€ to get Live Streaming whereas Formula 1 charges only 40€ for the whole season…this is unacceptable and videopass doesn’t offer anywhere near as much content as f1 tv!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

etusch

MM to miss Jerez too. Well done man.
Iker Lecouna will replace him.

Wouter

etusch wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 10:19
The Power of Dreams!

AMG.Tzan

Wouter wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 12:15
etusch wrote:
26 Apr 2023, 10:19
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fun9ICXWwAE ... name=small
There must be something more to it…

It can’t be that he lost 3 races just by braking a small bone! Bastianini broke his shoulder and he’s already trying to come back!

Anyway another season lost already! At least with two crashes Bagnaia wasn’t that far ahead in the standings but now…

I wouldn’t say it’s Honda’s bike the problem again! I would say that he has to change environment to get a fresh start and lower some of the pressure upon himself!

Aprilia might be the best seat right now! I don’t see any room at KTM…
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Wouter

Marquez's surgeon explains decision to prevent him racing at MotoGP Spanish GP

Ignacio Roger de Ona, the surgeon who operated on Marc Marquez's fractured right hand, has explained why the Honda MotoGP rider was advised to miss the Spanish Grand Prix.

Roger de Ona, head of hand reconstruction and microsurgery at Ruber Internacional, recognises that going out on the track in Jerez would have entailed an unacceptable risk.

"Marc's fracture is known as Bennett's fracture, and it is different from a diaphyseal fracture, which we could have solved with screws and a plate," said the surgeon, who - as soon as he saw the results of the radiological tests performed on Marquez on Tuesday - was very clear about what he was going to recommend.

"In his case, there was a very small bone fragment that remained in place, while the rest of the thumb was displaced.

"That's why we need the bone to consolidate well, because in that area many of the forces generated by a MotoGP bike are concentrated.

"For an athlete who uses that area a lot, such as a quarterback, a basketball player or a driver, the recovery time ranges from six to eight weeks.

"For Marc to be able to run only four weeks later would have been exceptional.

"We couldn't take the risk of it breaking at the end of the straight at 350km/h and not being able to brake."

He added: "If the surgery were to pull out the pieces of bone, those pieces could no longer be reattached in the most appropriate way, so the chances of carrying over sequelae would be much greater.

"And, to top it off, the recovery could take several months. It wasn't worth taking that risk.

"At Le Mans, Marc will be seven weeks since the operation. In the same way we would have had to see something exceptional [in Tuesday's tests] for him to race in Jerez, we are confident that he will be able to do so in France.

"If he follows the normal evolution, seeing how things are going, he should be ready."

Dr. Roger de Ona said he is convinced that, once the bone is consolidated, Marquez will not have any sequelae.
The Power of Dreams!

etusch

Finally Aprilla did good job. KTM's also looks good. Miller ride was wonderfull with powersliding. =D>