WEC 2023

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
dialtone
dialtone

Re: WEC 2023

Fact free statements, just the right kind for modern times.

aleks_ader

Blackout wrote: ↑
12 Jun 2023, 09:25
What's the deal with all these strange noses (complex nose cone with many steps on the Alpine, big flat surface on the Peugeot, fat and flat leading edge on the Cadillac...) are they meant to make some drag in order to meat the desired drag level?
https://i.imgur.com/KmETdbY.jpg
Personally somewhat aesthetics and differentiation thingy first.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Wouter

antogiovinazzi99

Waking up and finding that your dreams have come true - what a way to start the day! Buongiorno 🐝❀️

The Power of Dreams!

graham.reeds
graham.reeds

Does the HyperCar rules allow for front engined cars?

Sevach
Sevach

Avtandil wrote: ↑
11 Jun 2023, 23:15

Don't really understand this special sense of entitlement from Toyota and their supporters. In any previous years if all of the top manufacturers had folded in the category it would be abolished outright leaving lower class cars to fight it out for the win. Now Toyota were literally gifted half a decade of unchecked dominance and now finally with new manufacturers arriving they are required to do just a tiny bit more and suddenly they are "angry" and "threaten"? They should wake up and smell the coffee. They might still be the biggest cat on the block in terms of money and resources but at the same time nowhere near the popularity level of Ferrari and Porsche. Also, from what I understand WEC Committee has the discretion to amend BOP as necessary even if it has been set for 4 races or what have you. Carrying 14 extra kg over Ferrari with 4 extra hp and bunch more energy per stint doesn't really sound like that much of a handicap, considering the maturity of their platform and the fact it was initially designed to weigh even more than that.
That's what you get when for that half decade they get to make crazy requests like, "everyone else must be at least 1s slower than us" and get exactly that.

As you say the BOP vs Ferrari didn't sound that ridiculous, it was more aimed at giving everyone else a chance.

dialtone
dialtone

Fr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dialtone
dialtone

WEC 2023

Delete
Last edited by dialtone on 14 Jun 2023, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Sevach wrote: ↑
14 Jun 2023, 12:55

Don't really understand this special sense of entitlement from Toyota and their supporters. In any previous years if all of the top manufacturers had folded in the category it would be abolished outright leaving lower class cars to fight it out for the win. Now Toyota were literally gifted half a decade of unchecked dominance and now finally with new manufacturers arriving they are required to do just a tiny bit more and suddenly they are "angry" and "threaten"? They should wake up and smell the coffee. They might still be the biggest cat on the block in terms of money and resources but at the same time nowhere near the popularity level of Ferrari and Porsche. Also, from what I understand WEC Committee has the discretion to amend BOP as necessary even if it has been set for 4 races or what have you. Carrying 14 extra kg over Ferrari with 4 extra hp and bunch more energy per stint doesn't really sound like that much of a handicap, considering the maturity of their platform and the fact it was initially designed to weigh even more than that.
That's what you get when for that half decade they get to make crazy requests like, "everyone else must be at least 1s slower than us" and get exactly that.

As you say the BOP vs Ferrari didn't sound that ridiculous, it was more aimed at giving everyone else a chance.
You are describing Toyota ? :lol:

Sevach
Sevach

Spoutnik wrote: ↑
14 Jun 2023, 14:33

I was.
And it did happen.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

14 Jun 2023, 14:43

I was.
And it did happen.
Yes I know but it was very funny to read :lol:
Overall as I said earlier I do think even without the BoP change Ferrari would've won/would've challenge for the win this year

EDIT :

dialtone
dialtone

Spoutnik wrote:
I was.
And it did happen.
Overall as I said earlier I do think even without the BoP change Ferrari would've won/would've challenge for the win this year

EDIT :
Such a standard anti Ferrari bias. I have no clue why the motorsport press hates Ferrari when they literally sold out WEC events for the next years, they give press a lot of funny stories from F1 and great competence from endurance like the 24h of nurburgring and lemans. Yet hate left and right.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dialtone wrote: ↑
14 Jun 2023, 17:00
Spoutnik wrote:

I was.
And it did happen.

EDIT :
Such a standard anti Ferrari bias. I have no clue why the motorsport press hates Ferrari when they literally sold out WEC events for the next years, they give press a lot of funny stories from F1 and great competence from endurance like the 24h of nurburgring and lemans. Yet hate left and right.
It sounds like you haven't followed this series at all before Ferrari entered the top class, so you aren't very familiar with the territory and how things work. Those who have been watching the series more religiously for over a decade (like me), are very familiar with how marketing,politics, and relationships with the ACO influences BOP.

Ford was given best in class BOP for their 50th anniversary in the GTE Pro class (2016). Porsche was given best in class BOP for their 70th anniversary in GTE (2017). Ferrari on their return after a 50 years absence, the centenary of LM, of course they had help. Their BOP was very generous. ACO wanted Ferrari to win. It had marketing advantages. Toyota won the last 5 events. There was no interest in seeing them win again. ACO and FIA know the sport would be better off if Ferrari could win and it is. Sometimes the ends justify the means... The Ferrari was a good bit quicker than what a properly BOP'd category would suggest. You neglect to admit this when Ferrari is out front in WEC, yet you call for BOP in F1 because Ferrari is behind.

Also, I'm not sure why you are upset because of 1 article where they report on a rival Teams grievances. Calling it "anti-Ferrari biases"? lol. What is with the histrionics? Motorsport press overall has been very partial to Ferrari's win. Claiming "hate"? :wtf:

dialtone
dialtone

AR3-GP wrote:
dialtone wrote: ↑
14 Jun 2023, 17:00
Spoutnik wrote: Yes I know but it was very funny to read :lol:

EDIT :
It sounds like you haven't followed this series at all before Ferrari entered the top class, so you aren't very familiar with the territory and how things work. Those who have been watching the series more religiously for over a decade (like me), are very familiar with how marketing,politics, and relationships with the ACO influences BOP.

Ford was given best in class BOP for their 50th anniversary in the GTE Pro class (2016). Porsche was given best in class BOP for their 70th anniversary in GTE (2017). Ferrari on their return after a 50 years absence, the centenary of LM, of course they had help. Their BOP was very generous. ACO wanted Ferrari to win. It had marketing advantages. Toyota won the last 5 events. There was no interest in seeing them win again. ACO and FIA know the sport would be better off if Ferrari could win and it is. Sometimes the ends justify the means... The Ferrari was a good bit quicker than what a properly BOP'd category would suggest. You neglect to admit this when Ferrari is out front in WEC, yet you call for BOP in F1 because Ferrari is behind.

Also, I'm not sure why you are upset because of 1 article where they report on a rival Teams grievances. Calling it "anti-Ferrari biases"? lol. What is with the histrionics? Motorsport press overall has been very partial to Ferrari's win. Claiming "hate"? :wtf:
Been following WEC for a very long time. Not the 30 years of F1 but since the first audi diesel wins.

Toyota was going to win if Ryo didn't crash his car after Hartley explicitly told him to chill with the brakes that they were locking. Everyone except Ferrari haters and Toyota fans has celebrated this race as one of the best and most competitive Lemans in the last few decades and how BoP was one of the better ones delivered.

Was Ferrari slightly favored by the BoP? Yes. It wasn't the reason they won though and you already said as much the article says as much, but the tweet reports only thay Toyota felt robbed by the BoP change which was certainly not standard procedure. That's why bias.

As for haters, that's more tongue in cheek than anything real.

vorticism

Which way, Western sportsman?
-Aspiring to master a ruleset.
-Aspiring for competitors to be handicapped.
π“„€

dialtone
dialtone

vorticism wrote:Which way, Western sportsman?
-Aspiring to master a ruleset.
-Aspiring for competitors to be handicapped.
I don't get the humor here...

Ferrari was thoroughly handicapped and rules changed to stop their dominance. Tests were forbidden and all the right rules were bent to allow michelin to do what was needed to beat Ferrari...

So I ask your question back to you dear kettle.