2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Yes stroll seems to have decent pace under race conditions and is amazing in slippery conditions (barring Sochi)

But his awareness and lack of one-lap mistakes makes him weak overall. Who is he better than on the grid? Right now you could say probably Sargeant and De Vries on experience alone but other than that? Now that latifi is gone there is no clear runt other than stroll himself
Last edited by organic on 12 Feb 2023, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.

KimiRai
KimiRai

ringo wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 21:23
He has done better Q3 sessions than Vettel a few times. What holds him back is maybe poor preparation. But Stroll has raw speed ignoring preparation for q3 and also silly moves in the race. He is like a Grosjean, the pace is there but everything else needs some work.
He also seems to go well in greasy conditions.
Again like another poster said.. don't be surprised if Alons gets beaten. And yes it may be no fault of his own because of bad luck. But its not outside the realm of possibility.
I am sticking my neck out to say Stroll wins the qualy head to head.
I am also interested to see the team dynamic with Alonso and how he leads the team. How will he deal with disappointment, team errors etc. Will he cry for team orders to help his own cause? will he race stroll hard?
Interesting times ahead.
I very much doubt Fernando will lose the qualy head to head but Stroll will be closer than some people think due to two factors: Fernando has lost a little bit of speed in qualy and Stroll has an advantage playing at home for 2023.
But having said that, you are clearly a hater so your analysis is blinded by emotions.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

KimiRai wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 21:54
ringo wrote:
He has done better Q3 sessions than Vettel a few times. What holds him back is maybe poor preparation. But Stroll has raw speed ignoring preparation for q3 and also silly moves in the race. He is like a Grosjean, the pace is there but everything else needs some work.
Again like another poster said.. don't be surprised if Alons gets beaten. And yes it may be no fault of his own because of bad luck. But its not outside the realm of possibility.
I am also interested to see the team dynamic with Alonso and how he leads the team. How will he deal with disappointment, team errors etc. Will he cry for team orders to help his own cause? will he race stroll hard?
Interesting times ahead.
I very much doubt Fernando will lose the qualy head to head but Stroll will be closer than some people think due to two factors: Fernando has lost a little bit of speed in qualy and Stroll has an advantage playing at home for 2023.
But having said that, you are clearly a hater so your analysis is blinded by emotions.
For what it’s worth, Alonso came out of a 2 year retirement and beat Ocon in 2021.

I’m not sure Stroll’s home court advantage will make a difference, unless they are giving Stroll the upgrades first.

f1jcw
f1jcw

Vanja #66 wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 21:16
Alonso likes to praise his teammates, only to smack them down on track. He was never beaten on merit and performance. Hamilton had the support of Dennis and Ocon had a ridiculously reliable car.
That is quite some revision. At the start of the season Dennis was hold Lewis back and give preferred strategy to Alonso and he was still getting beat by a Rookie, that focus moved from him he has had only himself to blame, and as has being seen in every team he has gone he proves to be a toxic individual.

ringo

KimiRai wrote:
ringo wrote:
Interesting times ahead.
Hating on who exactly? So I am hater because I have a different opinion?
Alonso must hate himself because he said Stroll has potential.

Alonso is a very talented driver but nothing lasts forever. He is 41 years old going to a new team, with a decent driver in the other seat who's dad owns the team. I am certain all of the young drivers below 30 years old have much more endurance and quicker reflexes than Alonso. And that's no disrespect, it's just reality.
Stroll is very much capable of scoring more points. He wont break any natural laws for doing so.
For Sure!!

organic

ringo wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 03:03
KimiRai wrote:
ringo wrote:
Interesting times ahead.

Alonso is a very talented driver but nothing lasts forever. He is 41 years old going to a new team, with a decent driver in the other seat who's dad owns the team. I am certain all of the young drivers below 30 years old have much more endurance and quicker reflexes than Alonso. And that's no disrespect, it's just reality.
Stroll is very much capable of scoring more points. He wont break any natural laws for doing so.
Maybe that's the reality you believe in, but it's not strictly true. Alonso is not necessarily less physically able than the <30 year old drivers . Most research points to physical endurance peaking in the mid 30s and for some people later than that - into the 40s. You'll also get freaks even within athletes such as Valverde the pro cyclist who's endured a ton of injuries/setbacks and still getting top 5 finishes in the most prestigious races at 42. Who's to say Alonso isn't peaking physically later than most athletes which would put him only just after his endurance capability peak

Some larger data sample of the late endurance peak is looking at the ages of the best times that ultramarathons have been run. It's all 35+ people

Reality is that power and explosiveness fades quickly as you age, but endurance is not

Formula 1 is partly about endurance, but not really about power. There are however many mental factors in F1 allow you to improve as you age and gain experience such as tyre management, racecraft, mental state. How experienced is Alonso? :D

The one thing that usually happens to ageing athletes is lack of motivation - see vettel, Raikkonen. But does Alonso seem to lack motivation? If anything he seems more hungry than many young drivers who are just happy to race on the grid

I think you can easily point to the older drivers losing some of their 1-lap pace and that's probably true but when you have double world champions, I don't think someone like Alonso has decayed so much that his pace is worse than someone who got smashed by Perez.

If Alonso is so washed up due to his age that he can't beat stroll who was - again - taken to the cleaners by Checo, who we all know is not the most distinguished qualifier, then how can Hamilton be considered equal best on the grid & often praised by yourself despite only being a few years younger? This makes no sense

We'll see in a couple of weeks

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

ringo wrote:
KimiRai wrote:
ringo wrote:
Interesting times ahead.

Alonso is a very talented driver but nothing lasts forever. He is 41 years old going to a new team,
He was 39 years of age when he rolled out of retirement and beat his teammate in his first season back in F1. Furthermore, he's only 3 years senior to Hamilton.

If one is actually thinking Stroll is going to bother Alonso, then one would have to be pretty worried that Russell, who is far more talented than Stroll, will dominate his teammate.

ringo

organic wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 03:22
ringo wrote:
KimiRai wrote:

Maybe that's the reality you believe in, but it's not strictly true. Alonso is not necessarily less physically able than the <30 year old drivers . Most research points to physical endurance peaking in the mid 30s and for some people later than that - into the 40s. You'll also get freaks even within athletes such as Valverde the pro cyclist who's endured a ton of injuries/setbacks and still getting top 5 finishes in the most prestigious races at 42. Who's to say Alonso isn't peaking physically later than most athletes which would put him only just after his endurance capability peak

Some larger data sample of the late endurance peak is looking at the ages of the best times that ultramarathons have been run. It's all 35+ people

Reality is that power and explosiveness fades quickly as you age, but endurance is not

Formula 1 is partly about endurance, but not really about power. There are however many mental factors in F1 allow you to improve as you age and gain experience such as tyre management, racecraft, mental state. How experienced is Alonso? :D

The one thing that usually happens to ageing athletes is lack of motivation - see vettel, Raikkonen. But does Alonso seem to lack motivation? If anything he seems more hungry than many young drivers who are just happy to race on the grid

I think you can easily point to the older drivers losing some of their 1-lap pace and that's probably true but when you have double world champions, I don't think someone like Alonso has decayed so much that his pace is worse than someone who got smashed by Perez.

If Alonso is so washed up due to his age that he can't beat stroll who was - again - taken to the cleaners by Checo, who we all know is not the most distinguished qualifier, then how can Hamilton be considered equal best on the grid & often praised by yourself despite only being a few years younger? This makes no sense

We'll see in a couple of weeks
So in your mind, Stroll is incapable of improving?
What a double standard.

Hamilton has declined by the way. It's clear that he is not as aggressive as he once was.
More experienced and wiser and more patient. But physically despite what he says he has declined.
For Sure!!

ringo

AR3-GP wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 04:42
ringo wrote:
KimiRai wrote:

Alonso is a very talented driver but nothing lasts forever. He is 41 years old going to a new team,
He was 39 years of age when he rolled out of retirement and beat his teammate in his first season back in F1. Furthermore, he's only 3 years senior to Hamilton.

If one is actually thinking Stroll is going to bother Alonso, then one would have to be pretty worried that Russell, who is far more talented than Stroll, will dominate his teammate.
Let's remember this discussion. Prepare the explanations and excuses. But I think we have said enough on this very peculiar driver pairing up to now. I see Stroll improving and Alonso declining.
For Sure!!

KimiRai
KimiRai

ringo wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 06:48
Prepare the explanations and excuses.
It's this why you aren't arguing in good faith. You have a preconceived idea of what you want to see happening due to your bias and you will not listen to anything else. I already conceded that Stroll will be closer than what most people think. But it's still a far cry away from beating Fernando in a reliable car.

mendis
mendis

ringo wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 06:48
AR3-GP wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 04:42
ringo wrote:

Let's remember this discussion. Prepare the explanations and excuses. But I think we have said enough on this very peculiar driver pairing up to now. I see Stroll improving and Alonso declining.
Didn't you predict George did nothing to earn Mercedes seat and Bottas was a better driver? Look how that turned out. If driver's age is to be considered, then George is going to improve and outdo Hamilton again this year, who would be declining. You agree?

ringo

Yes I agree.
For Sure!!

luke9949
luke9949

Vanja #66 wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 21:16
Alonso likes to praise his teammates, only to smack them down on track. He was never beaten on merit and performance. Hamilton had the support of Dennis and Ocon had a ridiculously reliable car.
Hamilton was a rookie

DGP123
DGP123

Embarrassing. Fernando comes out with this utter rubbish every time. Bigs up something or someone, so that when he batters them, it appears to make him look like a god. Any Tom, dick or harry could beat Lance Stroll. Everyone knows it. Tiring, like his desperate presence to remain on the grid, and his predictable radio complaints, blaming anyone but himself for incidents.

No success is coming AM way until 2026 or beyond, and that’s the reality. There will be a month of hope, followed by the inevitable acceptance of mid grid racing

ringo

All i am saying is he like any human being can improve. It's not right to write him off, yet heap praise and untapped potential for others.
I am not a Stroll fan either. I do recognize Alonso as a great. But come on.. the guy is 42. Stroll has a 15% chance of beating Alonso but i can happen. And I am sure his dad did a calculated move by bringing Alonso to AMR.
Ultimately he wants his son to win.
Alonso will struggle with politics again. This team is actually worse than where he was coming from, so long as he is not defacto #1 he will have issues.
For Sure!!