2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

KimiRai wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 22:59
Qualifying ‘used to be the best session, now it’s the worst’ – Alonso

Fernando Alonso says the latest change to Formula 1’s qualifying session proves the current format no longer works.

The Aston Martin driver has criticised the format before and called for the introduction of single-lap qualifying. Following today’s session he said a new rule forbidding drivers from overtaking in the pit exit added yet more complexity to a format he believes is flawed.

The rule is the latest in a series of changes F1 has introduced to prevent dangerous situations developing when drivers on timed runs catch others who are running slowly at the end of a lap waiting to start. This led to the introduction of a maximum time between the pit exit and pit entrance.

During practice yesterday, Max Verstappen overtook several drivers in the pit lane entrance as they tried to build gaps to the cars ahead of them before being bound to the maximum lap time. The stewards introduced the rule barring overtakes at the pit exit to prevent a repeat during qualifying.

Alonso said that “didn’t change much” change much during the session, but said it shows the shortcomings of the F1’s three-part qualifying system, which it has used since 2006.

“It proves that the qualifying format is obsolete,” he said. “We cannot have these things and this stress.

“It used to be the best session of the weekend where the cars come alive, you drive these very fast cars. And now it’s the worst session of the weekend for the teams, for drivers, for traffic management, for track limits, going to the stewards, not respecting the delta, impeding people, deleting the laps.

“We are all happy that it’s over and it should not be like that.”

He said the need to take greater risks in pursuit of performance, due to how closely matched many of the cars are, adds to the stress of qualifying.

“You’re risking more unfortunately, because there is no way that you can be a bit calmer in one corner and lose one tenth [of a second],” he said. “You cannot afford that any more because you are out of the session.

“So I think it’s very stressful for everyone. Also the track limits is a very painful matter that we go through every every lap. But it’s the same for everybody so we try to execute it better.”

Despite his dissatisfaction with the qualifying format, Alonso was pleased to qualify as high as seventh.

“I was expecting less, actually,” he admitted. “After [final practice], I think we were 14th and 15th. We had some concerns about the pace of the car and the set-up and we were thinking what to do into qualifying.

“Even in Q1 I only went through P13. So I thought it was a tough Saturday for us. But then we followed the track evolution, we got more confidence with the car and then P7 is definitely the best result we were hoping for.”
https://www.racefans.net/2023/11/25/qua ... st-alonso/

I agree with his criticism of the format and the over-regulation of the FIA and I think one-lap qualifying would be beneficial for his driving style, so why not. In any case, looking at his whole year in qualifying, finishing 19-3 against Stroll is pretty good. Maybe 5 years ago he would have Vandoorned him 22-0, but at 42 years old it's still a great level to be at. But for the sake of the team and the constructor's championship it would be better if Stroll was a bit closer next year.
One lap as in 1 try in Q1, 1 in Q2 and 1 in Q3 at whatever time you want in parallel with other drivers? or serially ?

I liked James Hinchcliffe idea of no Tire warmers for Qualifying. See how many of them start creeping around if they go out with cold tires.

diffuser

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 20:27
Anybody can link a race place simulation?Thanks
Race simulations are useless. Nobody got them done in FP2 cause alot of the drivers were out in FP1 and there was 2 red flags in FP2. Some did them in FP3 but they're not representative. The temperatures they had in FP3 aren't the same they'll have during the race.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Great drive from Fernando. Also kept P4 in the drivers' championship. Let's hope 2024 will put the team back on top.

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

ALO_Power wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 17:16
Great drive from Fernando. Also kept P4 in the drivers' championship. Let's hope 2024 will put the team back on top.
Yeah great drive from Alonso ,but I don't know what they was doing whole year honestly. Not much upgrades, if yes then doesn't work. They running a Frankenstein car always. I just can't see them fighting for the tittle next year...

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

ALO_Power wrote:
doesn't LeClerc win a P4 points tie-break ?

diffuser

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 17:22
ALO_Power wrote:
Yeah great drive from Alonso ,but I don't know what they was doing whole year honestly. Not much upgrades, if yes then doesn't work. They running a Frankenstein car always. I just can't see them fighting for the tittle next year...
They ran all the new parts in Abudabi.

They don't plan on challenging for the title next year. Presume they'd be happy with another year like this year. How they're measuring that they're improving internally, I don't know. They still have to improve processes, finishing installing the new equipment, finish constructing the new buildings, get the new wind tunnel, simulator built an tuned.
Last edited by diffuser on 26 Nov 2023, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.

diffuser

Tommy Cookers wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 17:28
ALO_Power wrote:
doesn't LeClerc win a P4 points tie-break ?
It was Sainz that won Singapore.

Alo 8 podiums, 3 of which where 2nd places.
LeC 6 podiums, 3 of which where 2nd places.

diffuser

Preseason testing February 21st., 2024.
If we're lucky, the AMR24 will be presented a week before?

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

diffuser wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 17:32
OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
ALO_Power wrote:

They don't plan on challenging for the title next year. Presume they'd be happy with another year like this year. How they're measuring that they're improving internally, I don't know. They still have to improve processes, finishing installing the new equipment, finish constructing the new buildings, get the new wind tunnel, simulator built an tuned.
Yeah,I mean I worrying about Aston because this year they started good but after the upgrades wasn't good and they still don't know what is good or what is not. The car still very dragy beside they main point for this year drag reduction was. I hope they changed the front suspension and go more in the anti squad way,reducing drag and make a floor wich is working on the track as expected.

diffuser

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 20:47
diffuser wrote:
OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:

Yeah,I mean I worrying about Aston because this year they started good but after the upgrades wasn't good and they still don't know what is good or what is not. The car still very dragy beside they main point for this year drag reduction was. I hope they changed the front suspension and go more in the anti squad way,reducing drag and make a floor wich is working on the track as expected.
I doudt the suspension has anything to do with the drag. I suspect it's the sidepods, inside, out and the opening.

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

diffuser wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 21:17
OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
diffuser wrote:

I doudt the suspension has anything to do with the drag. I suspect it's the sidepods, inside, out and the opening.
I didn't wrote the suspension because of drag. I wrote because the anti squad suspension good for tyres and for the floor keep it in level at braking and accelerate.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

diffuser wrote:
OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
ALO_Power wrote:

Confusing tho. So, at first it seemed that new parts didn't work but now they do?

KimiRai
KimiRai

Is next year going to be similar to the first races we had this season? No, probably not. But maybe without the FIA meddling and/or no upgrade shenanigans, the second part of 2024 probably could be better than this year's, perhaps. Who knows. New critical infrastructure will be finished in that second half of the season, with an eye for 2025 and especially 2026 ahead.

diffuser

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 22:45
diffuser wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 21:17
OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:

I didn't wrote the suspension because of drag. I wrote because the anti squad suspension good for tyres and for the floor keep it in level at braking and accelerate.
Sorry.

diffuser

ALO_Power wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 23:09
diffuser wrote:
OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:

Confusing tho. So, at first it seemed that new parts didn't work but now they do?
Like I said maybe they tweaked them? Maybe the new rear wing and beam helped put them over the top? Also, it's always a trade off and there are 2 long straights here.